Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News - Google ultrafast broadband plans hit a competitive snag in the UK

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Google ultrafast broadband plans hit a competitive snag in the UK

The tech giant has been in talks with CityFibre to extend its Google Fiber project to Britain.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Google ultrafast broadband plans hit a competitive snag in the UK

Bloody Sky, they're a parasite to the media and networking systems.

Thanks

Bloody Murdock!!!

Thanks

Strange this happens after Google's petulance about the privacy laws. It might be a complete coincidence, but it seems odd for a business of their size to go into something like this without following all of these angles. It feels to me like they're being a bit disingenuous: running a little publicity stunt to rustle our feathers and make us value them as a provider more than our own competition rules.

There are times, like this one, when those rules might seem unfair or appear to serve the wrong master. I still think we should be wary about jumping on Google's say-so. We might gain fiber optic broadband a year or two faster, at the expense of something far more valuable.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Few things would delight me more than Google never getting even a toehold in UK internet infrastructure, whatever the speed implications.

6. Received thanks from:

Otherhand (18-07-2014)

Thanks
    • CampGareth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ?
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 3740QM @ 2.7-4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB corsair/samsung 1600MHz SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Intel 335 SSD, 1x250GB samsung 5400rpm HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual GTX680Ms in sli
      • PSU:
      • 300W brick
      • Case:
      • Clevo P370EM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Crossover 2720MDP 2560x1440 IPS, Cibox 22" 1680x1050 TN, internal 17.3" 1080p LG matte
      • Internet:
      • Ask4 50/6 fibre

"so what speeds would Google give me?" 1000mbps
    "and what speeds would sky give me?" uh... kinda 80? They're piggy-backing off BT
    "..."

*cut to riots outside sky headquarters, pitch forks and fire and all the rest*

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Let me fix that for you

Quote Originally Posted by CampGareth View Post
    "so what speeds would Google give me?" 1000mbps
    "and what speeds would sky give me?" uh... 1000mbps

*cut to people ordering Sky fibre anyway*
    http://www.cityfibre.com/gigabit-cities/

Thanks
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Watercooled i7-980X @ 4.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • 240 GB Vertex2E + 2 TB of Disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Water-cooled Sapphire 7970 @ 1175/1625
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 30" 3008WFP and two Dell 24" 2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

Beginning to find Google seriously creepy. You can now be using your Google-made phone/laptop with its Google OS using its Google browser, connected to wireless that's backed by Google fibre, perhaps using Google DNS to resolve hostnames, in order to check your Google mail or perhaps do some work on your Google Documents, or maybe see what your friends are up to on Google+ etc etc etc.

Obviously you don't *have* to be using Google anything, but by making the cost of entry of everything so low because they can later reap back the reward in search profits, they've gained a massive foothold in literally every part of the stack. It seems like it's fast becoming a monopoly I'm really not all that comfortable with. Worse still, I've totally bought into the whole thing. Even my workplace email for my last two jobs has been provided by Google.

Should any single company be allowed to build such a monopoly that has so much control over the entire stack of technologies that powers the internet? If Google's cloud offering gains traction and starts taking significant market share from AWS, a lot of the websites you visit that aren't already directly run by Google could soon be running on Google's servers as well. It just doesn't seem like a good thing for one company to have that much power/control over the internet.

edit: And I didn't even need to mention the maximal creepiness that is Google Glass.
    Last edited by Fraz; 20-07-2014 at 08:44 AM.

10. Received thanks from:

Otherhand (21-07-2014)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
    Should any single company be allowed to build such a monopoly that has so much control over the entire stack of technologies that powers the internet? If Google's cloud offering gains traction and starts taking significant market share from AWS, a lot of the websites you visit that aren't already directly run by Google could soon be running on Google's servers as well. It just doesn't seem like a good thing for one company to have that much power/control over the internet.

edit: And I didn't even need to mention the maximal creepiness that is Google Glass.
    Has always been that way though. Go back far enough and IBM was three times the size of the rest of the computing industry put together. Microsoft have been making a dogs dinner of things for the last decade, am only too happy that their reign seems to be at an end. Google now seems to be heading for top dog, well better them than Apple in my book.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Has always been that way though. Go back far enough and IBM was three times the size of the rest of the computing industry put together. Microsoft have been making a dogs dinner of things for the last decade, am only too happy that their reign seems to be at an end. Google now seems to be heading for top dog, well better them than Apple in my book.
    True enough about IBM. It stopped more or less when PCs became ubiquitous (due largely to MS), but prior to that, about 70% of the computer industry was IBM, and everybody else (DEC, NCR, Honeywell, ICL, and so on) shared the remaining 30%-ish.

As for Google v Apple, I am not a particularly a fan of any large corporation, but personally, I prefer Apple. Yeah, they had some very hard-nosed business practices, but what large and prominent/dominant (in their market segment) corporation doesn't? But they didn't try to capture, and sell, information on just about every aspect of individuals lives. If you didn't buy Apple hardware, what they did didn't really affect you. Whereas Google sucks up data about individual people and their lives, whether they agree or not, and often, without them even knowing.

Thanks
    • Savas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB Sata III 2.5 inch Internal SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850W
      • Case:
      • LIANLI PC-8FI
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 32LF580V
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbits (Plusnet)

Beginning to find Google seriously creepy.
    But you're fine with probably everything you eat, drink and watch and everything else boiling down to the same group in their own respective markets or more. For example, you can wake up and eat some Cheerios, have a Nescafé, head to work or school and buy a Coke and drink it with your Aero. Go home and eat a frozen pizza (that's one of the owned brands) and guess what, you stuck with ONE brand, Nestlé.

Oh but when it comes to competitive internet/broadband in the UK, yup that's going too far!

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Few things would delight me more than Google never getting even a toehold in UK internet infrastructure, whatever the speed implications.
    Why? How is Google any worse than the current market providers? I really want to know this, because the more fighting for a share in the market, the BETTER for the consumers. Actually paying what was advertised speed, yeah I'm sure that's the last thing you're interested in right.

Thanks
    • devBunny's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P9X79 Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7-3930
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x GTX 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ZX1000W Gold
      • Case:
      • Xigmatek Elysium
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 and Win XP in VMs
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell 2410M 1920x1200 IPS

Beginning to find Google seriously creepy. You can now be using your Google-made phone/laptop with its Google OS using its Google browser, connected to wireless that's backed by Google fibre, perhaps using Google DNS to resolve hostnames, in order to check your Google mail or perhaps do some work on your Google Documents, or maybe see what your friends are up to on Google+ etc etc etc.

[..]

Could someone please check the top brass of Google to see whether they are, in fact, not brass but sentient, self-organising liquid metal? :-S

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Savas View Post

Why? How is Google any worse than the current market providers? I really want to know this, because the more fighting for a share in the market, the BETTER for the consumers. Actually paying what was advertised speed, yeah I'm sure that's the last thing you're interested in right.
    Because a large part of their business model isn't about providing service, it's about data acquisition, data warehousing and data mining. If you dress a skunk in make-up and a fur coat, it's still a skunk.

Google are intrusive enough about other people's privacy with existing services, but at least we can use other mail services or search engines, but personally, I don't want to see them get ANY toehold in UK internet infrastructure, and certainly, there are no circumstances under which I'd have a net account with them, utterly regardless of either speed offered, or price. It could be the fastest connection in the country, and free for life, and I still wouldn't accept one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Savas View Post
    But you're fine with probably everything you eat, drink and watch and everything else boiling down to the same group in their own respective markets or more. For example, you can wake up and eat some Cheerios, have a Nescafé, head to work or school and buy a Coke and drink it with your Aero. Go home and eat a frozen pizza (that's one of the owned brands) and guess what, you stuck with ONE brand, Nestlé.

Oh but when it comes to competitive internet/broadband in the UK, yup that's going too far!
    This is a bit of an odd analogy. There is much more competition in the food market than there is in internet services, and I don't buy Nestlé, ever, without even trying. I make everything I eat from scratch, and I only drink tea (not a Nestlé brand). Conversely, I can't make my own internet.

Thanks

Competition is inevitable, if you can't take the heat.... well you know where to go.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Otherhand View Post
    This is a bit of an odd analogy. There is much more competition in the food market than there is in internet services, and I don't buy Nestlé, ever, without even trying. I make everything I eat from scratch, and I only drink tea (not a Nestlé brand). Conversely, I can't make my own internet.

err so why object to MORE competition in internet services surely that is what you want

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information