Thread: News - Dell intends to sell 30 million notebooks next year

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Dell intends to sell 30 million notebooks next year

And has now started to accept Bitcoin payments for its wares in the US.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Re: News - Dell intends to sell 30 million notebooks next year

...40 % sales boost this year...

Have the people at Dell finally lost the plot? That's a ridiculous sales figure.
    Steam - ReapedYou - Feel free to add me!!

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

50% increase in shipments, are Dell going to going for very attractive pricing, (to win market share), or have they seen something in an apparently shrinking market that everyone else has missed?

One thing though - if they're pushing their suppliers that hard is quality going to take a nose-dive? Seem to remember HP tried to be similarly aggressive stance in the past and ended up turning machines that were "problematic" which damaged their image.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

And, knowing Dell quality (or lack thereof), a repair/return rate of 40%, at the least, is probably expected. (80-85% of my repaira are Dell machines, including Dell branded Alienware machines - laptops, desktops and web-books. I don't touch tablets... I do value what little sanity I have left)

Simply put, their stuff breaks fairly regularly.
    Esse Quam Videri
    Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    And, knowing Dell quality (or lack thereof), a repair/return rate of 40%, at the least, is probably expected. (80-85% of my repaira are Dell machines, including Dell branded Alienware machines - laptops, desktops and web-books. I don't touch tablets... I do value what little sanity I have left)

Simply put, their stuff breaks fairly regularly.
    Really.... I've never had an issue with a dell laptop (business ones) or dell screens....hell I'd go as far as to say the dell I've used have been the best laptops I've used (macbooks have nice metal case but they're useless for me as they don't run my 3D design programs). HP business laptops on the other hand... not so good.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Really.... I've never had an issue with a dell laptop (business ones) or dell screens....hell I'd go as far as to say the dell I've used have been the best laptops I've used (macbooks have nice metal case but they're useless for me as they don't run my 3D design programs). HP business laptops on the other hand... not so good.
    I didn't qualify, but most of the Dell machines I work on are typically purchased at WalMart, Best Buy or Target... far from business class. I'd *almost* go as far as saying Leapfrog (stuff for kids) is better. They don't make their own monitors - they're typically either rebranded BenQ's (which aren't bad) or Samsung units (which are typically very good). I get machines a lot of times with dead (or dying) drives, and certain lines in the Dimension series were infamous for having memory slots going bad. And they still have issues with far too much bloatware, and making said software overly difficult for people to remove.

Thanks

um dell doesn't rebrand monitors, they use panels from someone, like most companies and then get them made into their own casing, again like most other companies. Yes they don't make their own panels but neither does Apple.

Dell doesn't make the hard drive either so you can't blame them for that issue, they just buy in bulk like every other 'oem'. Motherboards I'll give you that one but even Apple has issues there, when you're selling millions of pc's per quarter (they're one of the biggest brands in terms of units sold) then you're going to get a few failures but at the same time you could argue it isn't dell which is the issue but the sub contractor making the parts

Bloatware is an issue with pretty much every windows pc and just like you I hate said bloat... but there are plenty of free tools out there to fix it.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    um dell doesn't rebrand monitors, they use panels from someone, like most companies and then get them made into their own casing, again like most other companies. Yes they don't make their own panels but neither does Apple.

Dell doesn't make the hard drive either so you can't blame them for that issue, they just buy in bulk like every other 'oem'. Motherboards I'll give you that one but even Apple has issues there, when you're selling millions of pc's per quarter (they're one of the biggest brands in terms of units sold) then you're going to get a few failures but at the same time you could argue it isn't dell which is the issue but the sub contractor making the parts

Bloatware is an issue with pretty much every windows pc and just like you I hate said bloat... but there are plenty of free tools out there to fix it.
    Can't excuse a lack of quality control. Period. And none of the box stores I listed are known for selling high end. Period. They may sell high end brand names, but not the top end products.

And let's not play semantics - if you are using the internals from someone else, and putting it in your own case, it's still rebranding. Just like they're doing now, with Alienware (which is nothing new - before Dell, it was Clevo, which is also the guts of Sager, amongst others). As for the monitors, it was you that brought them up, and I'm pretty sure I agreed that, in general, they are a fairly good to very good product. I don't use them (you'll note, I'm partial to ViewSonic, who does make their own product), but I don't condemn them, either.

But simple math dictates that, since, as a result of their already high volume of product, they outpace most other OEM's as far as repair issues go, it's not unreasonable to expect that if they increase production another 20, or 40, or 60%, the repair rate will increase by the same measure. Even if it's 1/2, or a 1/4, that's still thousands of machines, just out of the new ones. Far more than just a mere few... but if there's a bright side, it does help support my hobbies...

Thanks

you said that dell were rebranded benq...they're not.

Semantics, seriously... you don't have a clue about how big business works do you and by your 'definition' of rebranding, Apple is a rebrand because they use Sharp, Samsung etc for their panels in displays. They buy intel cpu/chipsets, ati/nvidia gpu's, hynix (I think) ram, ssd/hd's etc and have the motherboard and case manufactured by someone else before being constructed by someone else (apart from the few US made items).

I could have just as easily argued over you getting the high percentage of 'faulty' products by how you market yourself. If you market yourself as someone who repairs dell pc's then the highest percentage of items would be dell. It's the same as if you say as a ford dealership, are you going to say that Ford have a high breakdown rate because that's all you see.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

1) You initially brought up Dell monitors - I've never said anything bad about a Dell monitor, just that they don't, in any way, make, produce or package their own. And yes, BenQ is one of the companies that makes Dell monitors, or at least did at one point. Don't take my word for it - here's the FCC information for just one, which is all I need to prove my statement -

FCC Declaration of Conformity

According to 47 CFR, Part 15 of the FCC Rules

* For the following named product :

COLOR MONITOR

(Category Name)

E171FPb / DELL

FP767

(Model No / Brand Name)

(Basic Model)

* Manufactured at :

1. BENQ Corporation

157 Shanying Road, Gueishan, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan, R.O.C.

2. BENQ Co., Ltd.

New District 169 Zhujiang Rd Suzhou Jiangsu, China

2) Ad hominem does nothing to bolster your point, nor lessen mine. Neither does adding to the topic in a meaningless way. The initial response was the typical failure rate of Dell computers, and how that would probably increase with a massive increase in production. It has nothing to do with Apple, or Dell monitors, or anything else.

3) You aren't in any position to argue over my advertising, business model or anything else - you have no clue who I am, only a vague idea of a geographical area of where I am located, and if you were intrepid enough to click on a link, my general age group. I repair computers. I advertise that I repair computers. I repair more Dell's, and that's entirely due to the fact that there are more Dell's on the streets. 10 years ago, one could have made the same argument for HP. Before that, maybe Compaq. Before that, IBM. It's simple - the more there is of something, the more of those things will break, and in higher numbers, proportionately, than another item. I'm not entirely sure why you are trying to make it something that it isn't. If you're a rep from Dell, do the courtesy of saying so, like the other reps here do. If you're looking for an argument for the sake of argument, then you'll need to find another target.

Thread Information