Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Features - QOTW: What do you think of e-book readers?

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Re: Features - QOTW: What do you think of e-book readers?

I don't own a dedicated eReader as my smartphone's app has been sufficient for my need for books on thw go. I'll admit to prefering having electronic copies of my books due to space constraints but then I've happily owned digital goods for most of my adult life.

Yes, real books do look better, and have a presence but it's that very presence which not only inflates the cost but also means eventually having to decide between keeping the book and passing it on to get new books. With a digital file, the storage is simplified for me.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Hmm, good question. I've got a Kindle (the one before the "paperwhite" one) in a personalized KleverCase (so it actually looks like a copy of The Odyssey) and got 90 or so titles on it - most of which were (ahem) transferred from the old Palm eReader format via Calibre, (a requirement because Barnes&Noble - who bought eReader - stopped offering those books to non-US residents). The reason I have so many books is that I'm one of those kinds of people who will happily read a good book more than once.

On the other hand I've also got a large library of paperbacks - there's something about a "real" book that still appeals to me - although access via the Kindle is a heck of a lot more convenient for novels.

Someone I know made the point that the Kindle app is a good place to put books you wouldn't necessarily want lying around for the kids to see whether that be the One Direction autobiography or Fifty Shades of Grey (I own neither btw) since you can password protect on most devices.

One place where I'm less than impressed with e-book readers is for reference works. Yes, O'Reilly does some cracking deals, but the electronic format is less "accessible" than a paper version to me - although a desktop reader is perhaps better than the portable version in this case. My Perl reference etc is still a dog-eared paperback with lots of Postits!

In short, there's a place for both as far as I'm concerned.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

Loving my Kindle Paperwhite. Space saver and excellent battery life. Never run out of literature when away from home which was an occasional problem.

Thanks

I see their uses, but I don't & wouldn't have one; mostly for the reasons already mentioned, such as not being to flip back (which I often do even with novels etc), the types of book it can't replace (large format art/illustrated books for example), love of physical books (there goes owning a first edition, or keeping a collection together, & all the associative stuff that goes with books, where you bought it etc) & general dislike of the homogenising of something where the mix of dirt cheap & valuable, as Saracen says, is a part of its appeal for me.
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

Thanks

I am a heavy reader and go through 5-7 books a week (retired). Half and half fiction and non-fiction. Fiction books I read mostly on the Paperwhite 2 (just finished Pines last night for instance on the Amazon reader). The Paperwhite 2 is the best e-reader out of the 5 or 6 that I have owned and is highly recommended. For non-fiction, I depend mostly on the library for books with lots of illustrations or photos as the e-reader is useless for that kind of material. I get a ton of e-books by nefarious means so I have a ton of reading material available to me. If I have a choice between a paperback and a e-book, e-book is always the right choice. Hardcovers from the library are a little more iffy, Big, heavy books are a pain (literally) and I will use the e-book reader for anything over 150 pages. I can easily see going all digital once the displays can handle in e-ink photos and illustrations with high enough resolution to be readable. Textbooks and Magazines can only be read on my 27 inch IPS monitor unfortunately. Eventually, they too will be digital when a high enough resolution screen is fitted to a 13 inch tablet.

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

I love my books, and I love seeing what others are reading. A bookcase in someones living room or hall is always a point of interest for me, and always a good conversation point. However for day to day general reading, commuting and holidays, my kindle goes with me everywhere. Love it lots.

I do need a new one tho, took the last one to a book signing....
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Thanks

happy for mine, i nicked my missus, and she had to go buy me one since she could not get to hers

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I was wary of them until I picked up my brother old kindle. Had to say I was mighty impressed with it and was very natural. Don't really have the need for one myself but if I was going to go on a reading spree away from home, I would certainly consider getting one.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Didn't really catch on for me but then again I don't do much reading nowadays My wife loves hers though. Can't cope without out. Had to go out an buy one straight away when her 1st gen Kindle died!
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • kellyharding's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Geil
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD, 2x 480GB SATA SSD, 4Tb WD BLack HDD, 2x Hiitachi 2Tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte WindForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet! System Power 700W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 23", Samsung SM2343BW, NEC 1970nxp
      • Internet:
      • EE 70Mbps

Loved my Kobo Touch till the screen died. Not gotten around to replacing it since, but will do when funds allow as it is much better than my tablet for reading on. Better battery life, no issue with sunligt etc.
    Desktop MSI B550M Mortar, Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB DDR4 3200, 1Tb NVMe SSD, 2x480GB SATA SSD, 4Tb + 2x2Tb HDD, 3x monitors, Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Server MSI Z170A Gaming M7, Intel i7-6700K, 16Gb DDR 2400, 120Gb SATA SSD, 1Tb WD Black HDD, 4x 4Tb HDD in RAID5

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

I bought one for an ex a few years ago. We split up before I gave it to her so I kept it for myself.

Prior to that I thought they where pointless, I love owning a physical book so why would I want a cold piece of tech to replace the feeling of pages.

I used it on a holiday and since then am on my third kindle(my mum 'borrowed' the original when she went on holiday and then I wanted a paperwhite so gave my second to father in law.)

I now tend to have a physical book on the go at home and use the kindle to read books when I'm out or its late at night and the missus is asleep.

I use the kindle as well for text books (I have the programming python book which is 1632 pages and is big enough to beat an elephant to death!) So being able to carry all the text books I need on the device instead of lugging around a tree's worth of paper is great

Thanks

I've got a £69 Kindle (although it's the previous model and cost me £99) and I tend to read most of my books on it now- especially the doorstop sci fi and fantasy that it's to much effort to lug about. With the wifi turned off, it goes forever between charges and gives my eyes a break from computer/tablet screens. Used to have a Sony PRS-300 a loooooooooong time ago but the library size eventually led me to Amazon.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Pro for me is number of books on the device. It's especially handy when going on holiday etc, as previously mentioned. What I also find handy is that if I'm reading a book on the train on my Nexus, when I get home I can pick up my kindle and it'll sync to the same page as I finished on.

One major con for me is that I like a Terry Pratchett book, and TP likes a footnote. Having to click on the footnote link to be taken to the page of footnotes, then navigate back to where you were is a PITA. So for most books, I would go Kindle, for TP and those with footnotes, actual book every time.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    One major con for me is that I like a Terry Pratchett book, and TP likes a footnote. Having to click on the footnote link to be taken to the page of footnotes, then navigate back to where you were is a PITA. So for most books, I would go Kindle, for TP and those with footnotes, actual book every time.
    The latest software on the paperwhites deals with the footnote issue, when you click on one it comes up in a popup now, it makes his books far more kindle-friendly now.

While I am happy to use the kindle app on my phone or tablet at times, I much prefer reading on an actual kindle as it has just the right balance of size and weight to make it ideal for reading a lot.

I am always slightly bemused at people who worry more about the container rather than the content when it comes to novels with their paper fetishism, I am paying for the words not how they are delivered to me.

Thanks
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

I would rather have a proper book, especially when ebooks are the same price or more expensive than a physical book. You can pick up a book, as good as new from a charity shop for around a quid, sometimes even less.

The ad for the Kindle Paperwhite on the tv really gets me. Up to 8 weeks battery life. What a load of crap. When i get into a book that I really enjoy I spend more than half an hour a day reading it!!

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
    The latest software on the paperwhites deals with the footnote issue, when you click on one it comes up in a popup now, it makes his books far more kindle-friendly now.

While I am happy to use the kindle app on my phone or tablet at times, I much prefer reading on an actual kindle as it has just the right balance of size and weight to make it ideal for reading a lot.

I am always slightly bemused at people who worry more about the container rather than the content when it comes to novels with their paper fetishism, I am paying for the words not how they are delivered to me.
    Ah right, my Touch doesn't have that function. I'd have thought the Kindle App would have though...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information