Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: News - Acer Chromebook 13 features an Nvidia Tegra K1 processor

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,815
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,864 times in 637 posts

    News - Acer Chromebook 13 features an Nvidia Tegra K1 processor

    The first K1 powered Chromebook offers a "record setting 13 hour battery life".
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,035
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked
    2,242 times in 1,844 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: News - Acer Chromebook 13 features an Nvidia Tegra K1 processor

    So how many native ChromeOS games are there to play on your massively powerful K1 SoC? And how many WebGL sites? I really can't see how a Tegra K1 chip is meant to make sense on a Chromebook. I guess they can't just stick Android on it though, otherwise it'd basically be a cheaper and more useful Shield tablet...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    926
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    105 times in 72 posts
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

    Re: News - Acer Chromebook 13 features an Nvidia Tegra K1 processor

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    So how many native ChromeOS games are there to play on your massively powerful K1 SoC? And how many WebGL sites? I really can't see how a Tegra K1 chip is meant to make sense on a Chromebook. I guess they can't just stick Android on it though, otherwise it'd basically be a cheaper and more useful Shield tablet...
    Is it possible to route these devices and drop a andoird ROM on ? That's shouldn't be a huge issue or am I missing something ?

  4. #4
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,035
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked
    2,242 times in 1,844 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: News - Acer Chromebook 13 features an Nvidia Tegra K1 processor

    I think most proper Chromebooks have some sort of secure BIOS making it very difficult (although probably not impossible) to root/hack and re-rom them. Then again, the only actual benefit to doing something like that would be if you desperately wanted a 13" android device (chromebooks seem to be the only thing coming in 13" at a reasonable price nowadays, which I consider a great shame...).

    EDIT: if you're desperate for an Android laptop, you only need to shell out £200....

  5. #5
    Account closed at user request
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Elephant watch camp
    Posts
    2,150
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked
    115 times in 103 posts
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

    Re: News - Acer Chromebook 13 features an Nvidia Tegra K1 processor

    Can you sideload APKs onto these? I don't entirely trust Google not to deliberately cripple them.

  6. #6
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,035
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked
    2,242 times in 1,844 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: News - Acer Chromebook 13 features an Nvidia Tegra K1 processor

    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Can you sideload APKs onto these? I don't entirely trust Google not to deliberately cripple them.
    Onto Chromebooks? Not as far as I know. It's a compeltely different OS to Android. it's basically a lightweight linux + minimal window manager + Chrome browser. It's actually quite a nice OS for doing general web-based stuff, and if you're already invested in the whole Google infrastructure - Docs, Drive, Gmail, Plus etc. - they work really quite well. There's an open source version called ChromiumOS you can download and play with, and I believe there's a method for converting ChromiumOS into full ChromeOS (which gives better plugin support amongst other enhancements). Basically it'll run anything that you can run in the desktop Chrome browser, and there's quite a lot of webapps available on Chrome now....

  7. #7
    Account closed at user request
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Elephant watch camp
    Posts
    2,150
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked
    115 times in 103 posts
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

    Re: News - Acer Chromebook 13 features an Nvidia Tegra K1 processor

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Onto Chromebooks? Not as far as I know. It's a compeltely different OS to Android. it's basically a lightweight linux + minimal window manager + Chrome browser. It's actually quite a nice OS for doing general web-based stuff, and if you're already invested in the whole Google infrastructure - Docs, Drive, Gmail, Plus etc. - they work really quite well. There's an open source version called ChromiumOS you can download and play with, and I believe there's a method for converting ChromiumOS into full ChromeOS (which gives better plugin support amongst other enhancements). Basically it'll run anything that you can run in the desktop Chrome browser, and there's quite a lot of webapps available on Chrome now....
    So extensions will all work okay? Ghostery / Adblock plus etc - that is what I'm worried about google crippling...

  8. #8
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,035
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked
    2,242 times in 1,844 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: News - Acer Chromebook 13 features an Nvidia Tegra K1 processor

    Google's own ChromeOS wiki lists both AdBlock and Ghostery as curated (recommended/tested, I guess?) extensions, and AFAICT all other Chrome extensions should work as normal.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •