Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Samsung struggles with smartphone sales, profits slump

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Samsung struggles with smartphone sales, profits slump

I feel like changes are becoming less and less drastic over the years and so the incentive to keep upgrading has lessened. Unless mobiles start to make some actual decent changes to the phones they release every damn year I predict a slight downward turn in the mobile market.

Thanks

Samsung's biggest problem is their use of Android, the same OS and ecosystem you can get on just about any other device on the market apart from a notable few. Samsung very urgently need to switch to their own OS and ecosystem so that customers actually have a reason to stick with them.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Another touchWiz hater here. Loved my note 1 but had to run a custom launcher (nova) as I hated it so much (not that it fixed everything of course). Now rocking a Nexus 5 and can't see myself ever touching a Samsung again after a 'pure' android experience (and decent reliable updates!). Was tempted by a Sony next but my Wife's Z has been troublesome so I think i'll still with Nexuses (or if the rumours are true the equivalent if they stop making them).
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by mrochester View Post
    Samsung's biggest problem is their use of Android, the same OS and ecosystem you can get on just about any other device on the market apart from a notable few. Samsung very urgently need to switch to their own OS and ecosystem so that customers actually have a reason to stick with them.
    Hmm, you mean defect from Android to Tizen? The elephant-in-the-room with that is the small matter of software support. It'd be practically impossible these days to sell a high end phone (and I'm assuming that in your vision of Samsung Mobile they'd still do the Galaxy S line) unless they can get a full set of the major apps on it. At least with Android they can leverage the efforts of the other manufacturers. So unless a "SamsungOS" had the ability to run Android apps (or Windows Phone apps perhaps?) via some kind of emulation then it's going to really struggle.

No, I'm going to disagree that Android is the problem. Check the comments here and you come across three main software-based objections:
    1. Bloat - specifically bundled apps that have a large footprint yet add little benefit to the majority of users;
    2. TouchWiz - see also bloat - some like it (I do) others hate it for it's unnecessary flabbiness (erm me again);
    3. OS updates - paucity of.

So if I was Samsung here's my back-of-an-envelope spec for a Galaxy X line:
    1. Screen sizes between 5.0 and 5.5", no larger, and there's increasing desirability getting towards the smaller end of the range;
    2. Thicker than S5/Alpha, with the extra thickness used for a larger battery. Gives the possibility of a nice ad with the poor owner of a "lesser phone" having to drag around a Honda generator etc;
    3. Keep the plastic finish for the backs (so NFC friendly) but put a hand-friendly "coke bottle" curve in it. Use the recessed section of the curve to put the camera so the lens is automatically protected when you put the phone on a table/desk/etc. Allow these plastic backs to come in a range of colours and/or textures;
    4. Put in a couple of signature items, IP57/58 ruggedness and/or curved screen and/or minimal bezel;
    5. Guarantee that - assuming it's technically feasible - that the Galaxy X will get three (or more) major Android releases during it's life. So at the moment it'd be Android JB, L and M;
    6. Put on a Samsung App store and nothing else in the way of Samsung value-add. Then when the phone is activated, guide the user through selecting "from a range of free applications with a $X value" - people like free stuff, and it puts the user back in control;
    7. Allow - via the Samsung App store - users to download an official rooting app. That would appeal to the folks who have enough technical knowledge to want root who, let's be honest, will root the damn thing anyway.
    8. Include, in the Samsung App store, alternative launchers with Samsung skins for those who don't like TouchWiz;
    9. Standard feature set otherwise - quad core, Bluetooth 4, NFC, and 4G. And definitely include user replaceable battery (encourages accessories market) and uSD slot.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

5. Received thanks from:

Ulti (08-10-2014)

Thanks

I agree with some of the above, but I'll just say that the last couple of times I've come to choose my phone Samsung had the best available at the right price point for me...
    Touchwiz I don't care for or about really, but I'm used to it. Hardware is fine, screen etc. great. I got a Note 3 because of the stylus etc. and I'm fine with it. Wireless QI back adds a couple of mm but then I just pop it on the wireless pad and I'm away
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I agree with some of the above, but I'll just say that the last couple of times I've come to choose my phone Samsung had the best available at the right price point for me...
    Touchwiz I don't care for or about really, but I'm used to it. Hardware is fine, screen etc. great. I got a Note 3 because of the stylus etc. and I'm fine with it. Wireless QI back adds a couple of mm but then I just pop it on the wireless pad and I'm away
    Ah good point on the Qi charging, I'd forgotten about that, (which is slightly strange given that Qi is the way that I habitually charge my G3). Again the use of a plastic back enables the use of Qi.

BTW, I'm not denigrating the metal back phones like the M8, plastic backs give more capability and if done right then they need not be seen as "cheap". My daughters M8 Mini though (metal back) is slightly nicer feel in the hand than my G3 (metal effect plastic back).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Yeah each to their own, I like QI charging. Fleabay the official QI back was £15 delivered.....can't complain about that. Charger pad was £4.54 delivered. Plugs into main pc usb port for power, and job done. Not knocking other phones but this is a great solution to charging and it works a treat. Nexus devices have it built in already though...

Thanks

end of my 2 year contract with my S3 - and at a crossroads - like the alpha , but the hardware doesn't make me scream `take my money` , not too keen on HTC interface (yes I like touchwiz) but the hardware and phone is so nice

Thanks

GF has an S5, seems ok...

Registered+
    Thanks

I think samsung phone have improved on the years like the s7 which I am using now us a good phone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information