Thread: News - Xbox One receives pre-Christmas $50 price cut in the US

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Xbox One receives pre-Christmas $50 price cut in the US

Microsoft drops the Xbox One's price until year's end in a bid to rival Sony.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Re: News - Xbox One receives pre-Christmas $50 price cut in the US

The irony is the XBox One is doing moderately well in the US/North America. I would have thought Europe would have got this deal too at least. Sony is selling over 3 times as many PS4s in Europe compared to XBO as of the 18th October. Maybe MS are trying to win decisively in one area.. and maybe they're already resigned to defeat/distant second place in Europe etc.
    Last edited by The Hand; 28-10-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Personally, and I understand this may be a minority view, there are NO circumstances under which XBox One in current spec is going in my house. At an absolute minimum, I want to either completely disable Kinect cameras and/or microphones except when I positively want them, or better yet, a version with no Kinect in the first place. That's not my only issue, but it is a red line issue. And unlike Obama, my red lines really are make/break lines.

Without that, MS could offer me a completely free XBO, and every game I fancied, and I still wouldn't accept. So, personally, $50 certainly isn't going to change my mind.

If they do ever come up with the much-rumoured Lite version, Kinect-less, then I'll reconsider. Until then, it doesn't matter to me what the spec, bundle or price is.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

You can actually disconnect the kinect now with the newest firmware I believe and you get ~10% extra GPU performance due to releasing the streams it was reserving for kinect to work.

Although that still won't get me to buy one either! Future exclusives are underwhelming compared to PS4 and I can't even be bothered to buy one of those yet.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Personally, and I understand this may be a minority view, there are NO circumstances under which XBox One in current spec is going in my house. At an absolute minimum, I want to either completely disable Kinect cameras and/or microphones except when I positively want them, or better yet, a version with no Kinect in the first place. That's not my only issue, but it is a red line issue. And unlike Obama, my red lines really are make/break lines.

Without that, MS could offer me a completely free XBO, and every game I fancied, and I still wouldn't accept. So, personally, $50 certainly isn't going to change my mind.

If they do ever come up with the much-rumoured Lite version, Kinect-less, then I'll reconsider. Until then, it doesn't matter to me what the spec, bundle or price is.
    FYI, you can purchase an Xbox One without a Kinect, and have been for a little while now. My flatmate has one, you lose a lot of the slickness in some functions but don't miss out on many actual features. Microsoft have made it so you need a kinect to use voice command features even if you have their (horrible) headset plugged in. (Seriously, I didn't think they could make the 360 headset feel cheaper but they've managed it!).

Outside of that though, it's not an great situation to be in. The machines (XBone & PS4) are largely comparable when the Xbone doesn't have the kinect on, the controller is a different shape and the exclusives vary but it's not ground breaking after that IMO. Small OS differences swing both ways if you ask me.

If microsoft want to discount the Xbone, and then Asda want to do a christmas bundle or whatever (my flatmate works for Asda and gets a flat 10% everything) then I may consider it. But I'm currently content with my computer.

Thread Information