Thread: Global PC shipments decline less than expected in 2014

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Global PC shipments decline less than expected in 2014

By only 2.7%, revised down from previous estimates of 3.7%.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • nitro912gr's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II x6 1090T
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB Kingstone Beast 2133Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 640GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon 7850 DD 1GB
      • PSU:
      • XFX ProSeries 450W Core Edition
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster N300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2313HM

Re: Global PC shipments decline less than expected in 2014

well, people realized that tablets are cool for content consumption, but they have a long way to really match laptops and desktops. So they are returning and use the laptops as second devices.

also the decline completely ignores a large portion of the market, the custom or build to order from various pc shops systems.
    While we are few who we are going to build our systems from scratch, handpicking each part to get the better performance/price ratio, there are a lot of shops that can do the dirty job with results close to branded desktops in a much lower price (I don't compare the crap systems the shops build with really custom rigs, I have seen desktops to be advertised as gaming with intel HD 2500 graphics...).

I see all the time here when someone needs a computer is not gonna say "hey I need a PC, get me a dell", he is more likely to walk into a random pc store and ask for a pc.
    Those stores, no matter if small or big, prefer to build one from scratch, because they make more money and they can fix future problems themselves, or even sell tailor made upgrades.

Thanks

I fully agree with the figures ignoring custom builds from local shops.
    Mine has picket up lately but has never really seen a decline in either laptop or desktop sales.
    We don't sell any brand name PC's unless asked specifically for one and we then order it.

Thanks

Heh, current PC decline is caused by the stagnation of the PC itself.

Most ppl dont need desktops and those who have 3y old desktop are usually still enjoying its performance - at least i do.

Laptops starts to be interesting - especially those 2 in 1 - i just bought Surface Pro 3 and i am damn happy whit this - still i wont throw away my desktop anytime soon - not only for gaming but also for comfort working.
    Now i only plan to buy an additional screen.

Those custom rigs you speaking about are huge issue for PC industry (i mean those bad custom rigs like "gamer" with intel HD4000 or GF 730) - ppl buying that and they cannot see the difference when they use laptops instead. The truth is, in the same price range a desktop should be far ahead to a laptop in the perception of the user (even nontechnical one) because this is actually the truth - also this may be a reason why ppl prefer known rigs.

Registered+
    Thanks

Personally not going to get a pre-built system, and I suppose many others are in the same boat.
    Generally cheaper to buy individual parts, and the figures which are shown on this article correlate that.

Thread Information