Thread: Autodesk grants free software access to schools worldwide

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Autodesk grants free software access to schools worldwide

Strategy will help "Prepare an Industry - ready Workforce" that uses Autodesk products.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Re: Autodesk grants free software access to schools worldwide

That is some fantastic news if you are eligible. Sadly since I'm not with a uni and I'm doing job specific qualifications then I doubt I will be eligible. But my flat mate is doing games design so perhaps we could organise it so I can use it but he may use my computer for it. Maya supports CUDA and he has an AMD card, unlike me! That's allowed... Right ?

Thanks

Autodesk phoned me out of the blue in April (IT tech in a middle school - we still have them up here), so it wasn't American only. I assumed there was some catch, but nope, site license, full 2013 master suite or creation suite, nothing to pay now or later.

Working in education, where bespoke educational software seems to cost about 10x what its worth, and nothing comes free (other than Google Apps) I was staggered.

I don't think the home aspect was available in the original offer though.

Top marks Autodesk. Top marks.

Thanks

this_is_gav... the catch is simple.... offer programs to schools to free so that future business clients have to buy autodesk software because that's what their staff are trained in. Autodesk are heading down rental only approach like adobe so get in early etc.

There are plenty of alternatives that are as good or better than Autodesk's offerings that come in cheaper so this is them keeping their status as the 'defacto' software.

It's part of the reason Adobe doesn't care too much about how much Photoshop gets pirated, they see it as getting the next generation of users and keeping their 'monopoly'. Not that there are many alternatives annoyingly.

And since when has Autodesk and Adobe competed with one another.... they cater for completely different fields.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    this_is_gav... the catch is simple.... offer programs to schools to free so that future business clients have to buy autodesk software because that's what their staff are trained in. Autodesk are heading down rental only approach like adobe so get in early etc.
    Oh yes, I 'm aware of that, but it's still refreshing to see.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Oh yes, I 'm aware of that, but it's still refreshing to see.
    Personally I'd rather see Autodesk make some actual improvements to some of their programs, 3ds max doesn't seem like it's had any beneficial changes for the last 5 years lol.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Chaoss's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X79-UP4 (Socket 2011)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4970x @ 5.60GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Samsung Green Ram, 9-9-9-24 @ 1866Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA NVidia GTX 780 ACX Overclocked
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX860i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Achieva Shimian QH300-IPSMS LED 30" @ 2560x1600
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb Download, 19Mb Upload

I use 3ds Max 'legally', but up until I was given a license I pirated it, I would have happily paid a subscription had it actually been affordable to more than 3% of the population. I used to pirate Photoshop but since they now have a very cheap subscription option I go for that instead since it is affordable.

I work in the software development industry and it's all about "more expensive the software is, the more it'll get pirated" thing. The executives at Adobe assumed everyone just wanted free software (most of the people working their knew but these executives are the sorts of people who live very sheltered lives with lots of money.) but have come to understand that people will generally pay if they can A: try the software unrestricted for a short amount of time and B: if they can actually afford to pay ontop of feeding the family, bills, mortgage/rent, fines etc.

Adobe have gone in the right direction but sadly Autodesk haven't, they do have a subscription option which did perk my interest... until I saw that it was £175 a month which is rediculus!!

Now if it was £40 or even £50 a month I could get behind that but not at £175 a month, and that's for the most basic/cheapest option for one software package. Not ideal really since people will continue to pirate it until it's made affordable.

Thread Information