Thread: Mislabelled AMD APUs are being sold on Amazon UK say reports

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Mislabelled AMD APUs are being sold on Amazon UK say reports

Dodgy traders are swapping the heatspreaders between cheap/expensive chips.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

Re: Mislabelled AMD APUs are being sold on Amazon UK say reports

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the same place, based in Oxford that sold me a dodgy Antec PSU and after returning it I never heard from them again, and I never did get my money back from amazon or the seller for it !

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was the same place, based in Oxford that sold me a dodgy Antec PSU and after returning it I never heard from them again, and I never did get my money back from amazon or the seller for it !
    So Amazon weren't any help to you, given that you bought the PSU from a seller on their website?

I had a similar problem (not with Amazon) after buying a monitor once. I paid by Paypal though, & I was able to get a refund from them.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    So Amazon weren't any help to you, given that you bought the PSU from a seller on their website?

I had a similar problem (not with Amazon) after buying a monitor once. I paid by Paypal though, & I was able to get a refund from them.
    This just totally reinforces my constant use of a credit when dealing with big corporate entities.

The only real way you will beat a large corporation is set your own large corporation on them. (In this instance my bank!).

Amazon don't care that you're out £100 quid because it's just one person out of millions in the UK. Amazon do have a problem when a bank is attempting a charge back to them though! And the truly sad bit about this is Amazon is one of the better companies.

Thanks

I had this exact problem a few years back (top label correct, pins didn't match) but that was over Ebay, where you're semi-wary of these things. I think if Amazon (marketplace) doesn't want to be downgraded to Ebay status (in that people are currently willing to pay more for the same item over AM than Ebay as it is seen as more reliable/trustworthy), they need to be seen to come down hard on these dubious traders, both to deter others and to reassure the customers.

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Jowsey View Post
    This just totally reinforces my constant use of a credit when dealing with big corporate entities.

The only real way you will beat a large corporation is set your own large corporation on them. (In this instance my bank!).

Amazon don't care that you're out £100 quid because it's just one person out of millions in the UK. Amazon do have a problem when a bank is attempting a charge back to them though! And the truly sad bit about this is Amazon is one of the better companies.
    I didn't even think of getting in touch with the bank, doh! Amazon kept giving me the run around I called 3 times over about 3 months and every time they said they would credit me and that for some reason it hadn't gone through the system the previous time, I just gave up after that. I still use amazon sometimes but am careful to never buy from the traders on it now.
    What really annoyed me was that I was out of pocket and didn't even have the faulty PSU which I possibly could have repaired if it had just had some blown capacitors or something simple.

Thanks

I wonder if this was actually from Amazon or one of their Marketplace sellers? I'd be very surprised, and quite concerned, were it the former. Sadly, not all that surprised for the latter though.

Wasn't it a few years back we were seeing 'fake' 1366 i7's, which were just a lump of metal but in an official-looking box?

Edit: Yeah I'm very wary of buying certain items from non-Amazon sellers for reasons like that. Things like fake SD cards are another of their specialities according to some reviews I've seen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    I wonder if this was actually from Amazon or one of their Marketplace sellers? I'd be very surprised, and quite concerned, were it the former. Sadly, not all that surprised for the latter though.
    It's a little odd as it is (at the time of posting) "dispatched from and sold by Amazon", but it isn't eligible for Prime delivery, and I can't say I've seen many items that are sold by Amazon themselves that aren't Prime eligible.

Thanks

Maybe a seller had it cheaper and the buyer chose that instead though? The reviews annoyingly don't say where it was purchased from.

ZaO

Great. This is just what Amd need right now I'm sure that a bunch of people will be put off buying Amd stuff because of this..

We've already got corps trying to kill secondhand markets left right and centre. And sellers like this just make secondhand trading even more risky. And now, thanks to these types, buying new has become a lot more risky too. Ebay is riddled with crap like this. I really do support the idea of recycling things, but I very rarely buy secondhand computer components due to the high risk associated with them. Best stick to trusted computer stores for this stuff! Though I would buy computer parts from Amazon if it was shipped directly from them/sold via a known and trusted seller on there. I always thought Amazon had a good rep when it comes to returns and refunds. Some of you guys here are saying otherwise :/

Thanks

True, however I'd think the majority of sales are through large OEMs who AFAIK would buy from a good supply chain and would definitely notice that a batch of processors no longer fit into their motherboards.

The whole thing does seem a bit stupid, using a different socket - I can't imagine anyone wouldn't notice and return it. It's not like it's not going to come back to bite them!

Thanks

I didn't even think of getting in touch with the bank, doh! Amazon kept giving me the run around I called 3 times over about 3 months and every time they said they would credit me and that for some reason it hadn't gone through the system the previous time, I just gave up after that. I still use amazon sometimes but am careful to never buy from the traders on it now.
    What really annoyed me was that I was out of pocket and didn't even have the faulty PSU which I possibly could have repaired if it had just had some blown capacitors or something simple.
    It's complacency like this that encourages corporations to continue screwing us over. Go get your money back, it is not too late!

Thanks

the moral of the story if you are buying something of serious value, buy it from a big name reputable seller for example scan, or only buy items on Amazon that are actually being sold by Amazon.

Thanks
    • anselhelm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 2x16GiB Crucial 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 1x WD Gold 10TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 2070 Super w/ Morpheus II
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI OPTIX MAG272QR
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by Jowsey View Post

If you have proof of sending the item back (as I imagine you would for any large goods), paid via Visa or MasterCard and Amazon won't help, then I suggest calling the chargebacks department of your bank and advising them of an unapplied refund.

It's a complicated case usually, but if you can prove that you sent the item, that they received it and that you've received no refund, they'll fight your corner for you or at least try. The only limit sometimes is chargeback timeframes.

Best of luck!

Registered+
    Thanks

Amazon has been quick to resolve problems for me in the past, it's sad that some of their suppliers and/or sellers are crooks - plain and simple. While I always pay via credit card, I have never had a problem that Amazon did not solve long before I even thought about calling the credit card company.

Thread Information