Thread: The Click ARM One is an ARA-like modular tablet

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

The Click ARM One is an ARA-like modular tablet

Spain's ImasD is taking pre-orders for this new modular 10-inch slate.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: The Click ARM One is an ARA-like modular tablet

The problem is that I care about size and weight, and this is bound to be larger and heavier than a standard tablet. In theory it would be nice to be able to upgrade the CPU or RAM, but I don't expect to see such a tablet that will be appealing enough to me as a tablet.

Thanks

In addition to this limited edition tablet device, with only 1,000 units to be built initially
    And they expect other companies to build modules for it?!

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by ET3D View Post
    The problem is that I care about size and weight, and this is bound to be larger and heavier than a standard tablet. In theory it would be nice to be able to upgrade the CPU or RAM, but I don't expect to see such a tablet that will be appealing enough to me as a tablet.
    It'll definitely be thicker than a standard tablet but, being optimistic, perhaps some of that extra thickness can be used to accommodate a larger battery. Personally a little more thickness might not be a bad thing, since that'd make it easier to hold, and undoubtedly more rigid than the current lightweights.

Weight is more of an issue, but I can't see why the limited modularity that ImasD is proposing should add more than a few grams, maybe the weight of one or two AA batteries. And that kind of uplift is not something that is going to bother those, other than the incurably vain, (i.e. "I bought this tablet because it's currently the lightest on the market"). If we want to put a figure on it then I'd say anything below 600g is probably going to be acceptable, (c.f. original iPad is 680g or 730g depending on network capabilities).

I'm less interested in the modular tablet at the moment than the Ara phone, but it's still an interesting direction. Shame that Google couldn't have taken this idea and run with it, as it definitely could do with some big-name support.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thread Information