Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: uSwitch reveals UK streets with best and worst broadband speeds

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

uSwitch reveals UK streets with best and worst broadband speeds

The most poorly connected UK street is in Romney Marsh, Kent.
    Read more.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: uSwitch reveals UK streets with best and worst broadband speeds

If I could only get a 0.5Mb service, I would move!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Cannock on top for the right reasons....can't get used to that!
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • RT-XD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HM77??
      • CPU:
      • i7 3740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb Sandisk Ultra Plus, 500Gb Hitachi 7200rpm + 32Gb SSD mSATA cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 680m
      • PSU:
      • A battery
      • Case:
      • M17xR4 case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Laptop Monitor + BenQ 21" 1080p Monitor

Time to move to Straffordshire I suppose

Registered+
    Thanks

NTL (subsequently bought out by Virgin) put the cable infrastructure in way back where I live (and likely where the results are really high across the UK) - I live about 10 miles from Cannock (so still in Staffs) - provided the servers I'm contacting can provide the high speed, my line will hovers around the max 150Mbps - which is great for steam downloads as their server speeds are awesome - I can download huge AAA titles in minutes, like 1GB per min

apologies if I break rules but I can't recommend Virgin cable enough - I had a similar service in Holland as well - the speeds are insane and the overheads seem less than other ISP so the line stability is great (had like 2 outages in 5 years, both when the gas / electricity man hit their cable) and the ping is sweet, so no lag when gaming in MP / PvP environment

folks using telephone lines for their internet gaming need to read this and move on to cable ISPs!

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

So they've taken user-submitted figures of the broadband service they are currently choosing to pay for, and extrapolated that to availability at a street level? Yeah, that's totally valid research. I am completely convinced by their methodology.

Then again, I suppose "uSwitch reveals UK streets with best and worst broadband speeds" is a better headline than "uSwitch reveal that some people get different broadband speeds".....

7. Received thanks from:

McEwin (16-03-2015)

Thanks
    • Brian224's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 SSD 120GB, Seagate 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX760 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W EZCool Silent
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 230T
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Acer G226HQLBbd
      • Internet:
      • 30 Mb cable (Virgin Media)

I wanted to move to Lydd on Sea but my wife said she would divorce me if I wanted to move anywhere without fibre. I guessed the internet would be slow there, but THAT slow...

Star Citizen = 100GB = 100 * 1000 * 8 Mb = 819,200 Mb (Assuming communication definition of 1k = 1000)
    On my 100 Mb/s connection this would take just under 2 1/4 hours but in Lydd on Sea at 0.535 Mb/s this would take nearly 18 days?

The numbers seem ridiculous, am I out by an order of magnitude here?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Brian224 View Post
    ... I guessed the internet would be slow there, but THAT slow... ...
    That's one street, calculated using a methodology that is almost guaranteed to provide statistically meaningless results, particularly for areas that are ... let's say "probably less broadband-speed sensitive" (I don't know many people who retire to the seaside for the amazing broadband ). Take the results with a truck-load of salt

My first broadband connection was 512kbps, back when that was as fast as you could get, and I got most of that. Downloading a linux live CD (so ~ 700MB) took several hours. So yes, downloading over 100 of those would've taken several weeks. But the majority of people don't download 100GB games on a regular basis. They read email and mess around on facebook, at which point you'd probably notice the difference between 512kbps and 2Mbps broadband, but you might not notice the difference between 2mbps and 150mbps.

Besides, anyone who expected the largely rural counties to be anywhere but near the bottom of those charts needs their sense of reality checking...

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    So they've taken user-submitted figures of the broadband service they are currently choosing to pay for, and extrapolated that to availability at a street level? Yeah, that's totally valid research. I am completely convinced by their methodology.

Then again, I suppose "uSwitch reveals UK streets with best and worst broadband speeds" is a better headline than "uSwitch reveal that some people get different broadband speeds".....
    i would have hoped the data would have come from actual consumer entries on speedtest.net, namesco, do you know it's just simply user-submitted figures? if so they might just highlight which streets tell the tallest tales lol

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian224 View Post
    I wanted to move to Lydd on Sea but my wife said she would divorce me if I wanted to move anywhere without fibre. I guessed the internet would be slow there, but THAT slow...

Star Citizen = 100GB = 100 * 1000 * 8 Mb = 819,200 Mb (Assuming communication definition of 1k = 1000)
    On my 100 Mb/s connection this would take just under 2 1/4 hours but in Lydd on Sea at 0.535 Mb/s this would take nearly 18 days?

The numbers seem ridiculous, am I out by an order of magnitude here?
    subject to Star Citizen's servers & line being able to allocate you 100Mbps constantly across the download

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by cps1974 View Post
    i would have hoped the data would have come from actual consumer entries on speedtest.net, namesco, do you know it's just simply user-submitted figures? ...
    Yes, sorry, unclear in my statement. It's figures from uSwitch's own broadband speed checker, which I would skew horribly if I tried it due to being on a work connection* I imagine it's done in conjunction with someone like speedtest though. And it still remains that there is a huge question mark over the quality of connection from the consumer's computer to their router; their router to their master socket; the master socket to the main infrastructure; and the rest of the infrastructure between them and the test server. That's a lot of variables. Someone using the ancient wireless-b ADSL router they've had for ten years, with their laptop in the back bedroom and their router in their living room, is not going to get a good test result regardless of their actual connection.

*Meh, who cares, their methodology's bad enough to obscure any sample bias: it is indeed done in conjunction with Ookla, and they rate my work connection at around 95mbps in both directions which probably isn't ridiculous (my local switch might not be gigabit). So the data collection probably isn't a problem. It's what they've done with it after that I'm concerned about....

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by cps1974 View Post
    apologies if I break rules but I can't recommend Virgin cable enough - I had a similar service in Holland as well - the speeds are insane and the overheads seem less than other ISP so the line stability is great (had like 2 outages in 5 years, both when the gas / electricity man hit their cable) and the ping is sweet, so no lag when gaming in MP / PvP environment

folks using telephone lines for their internet gaming need to read this and move on to cable ISPs!
    Utter tosh.

be the tech guy that everyone calls and you realise there is a substantially bigger picture then the small one you are viewing.

Subscribing to Virgin is like playing a game of Russian roulette. Everything is great when things are going your way and utterly terrible when they are not.

I know 6 people that had to leave them (many having to kick and scream to get out of their contracts) because virgin dragged their heals for months telling them they would fix the issues. All of them had connections that were unworkable. Even loading webpages was causing timeouts.

And that's just how virgin operate. They oversubscribe until so many people in an area are getting their connections for free (because they have complained and complained and then virgin give them the connection free until it's resolved, instead of letting them out of their contract)....once they hit a critical figure, then they "fix" (i.e. upgrade) that part of the network.

It's a despicable practice and my brother actually got led along by them for 16 MONTHS with this BS.

Oh and my non-virgin connection has been up since the day it was installed......perhaps I should be saying that phone-line based connections are 100% stable and people should all move to them?

Internet connection speed and stability are based on 2 factors: Infrastructure and ISP. Virgins base infrastructure is good but as an ISP they are terrible (they do not want to spend money on upgrading congested areas). Having been with just about every UK ISP you have ever heard of (and a number you probably haven't) since Demon in 1993, plus having dealt with a plethora of connections for clients (both business and residential), I have seen this all first-hand......and virgin are just about the LAST isp I would ever recommend.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

14. Received thanks from:

D-T (17-03-2015)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Maybe those poor folks in the Highlands and Islands, depths of rural Wales, high on a hill in Cumbria, etc are still downloading/running the test. So if they'd finished then the result would have been different...?

Maybe I'm being too hard on them, but I'm becoming less than impressed with uSwitch - they seem to be doing a lot of these "we did a survey, now change to..." setups that get a lot of column inches.

Got to wonder - given the reported dire speeds - whether mobile-based broadband would be a better option for the folks getting the 512Kb/s speeds.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

and of course they get cash when you swithc...sooooooo

And anyone who wants to move to Staffs based on broadband speed is deluded we have some of the worst roads in the country...so your broadband flies but you get stuck in traffic for hours
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Banned
    Thanks

Until someone invents a browser or processor that can handle the millions of badly coded, slow and generally crappy websites out there. The internet will be slow as a dog.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

I'm going to predict that for many years to come, "Many households in the country are still struggling {will still struggle} with broadband speeds that fall far below the UK average"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information