Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,709
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,073 times in 719 posts

    Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

    Running full Windows 8.1 thanks to its Intel Atom or Core M processor configuration.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife (Scotland)
    Posts
    4,991
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    220 times in 190 posts
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

    Re: Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

    Can someone explain to me why* Windows 10 will run on a Raspberry Pi 2 (ARM powered, limited memory and storage), but WindowsRT devices (ARM powered, limited memory and storage) are excluded from the party?

    (* apart from sheer bloody-mindedness)

    Just seems like a missed opportunity to bring the WindowsRT-toting tablets into the Windows10 fold and silence (to an extent) all those critics who said that Windows doesn't run on anything else than Intel. Worst still because folks I know who've got RT devices (Surface's and Nokia 1520's) seem pretty happy with them, but are less so if their "precious" is going to be downgraded to "paperweight".

    Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

  3. #3
    Bah Humbug. Dooms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    3,325
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked
    183 times in 141 posts
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

    Re: Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

    Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Can someone explain to me why* Windows 10 will run on a Raspberry Pi 2 (ARM powered, limited memory and storage), but WindowsRT devices (ARM powered, limited memory and storage) are excluded from the party?

    (* apart from sheer bloody-mindedness)

    Just seems like a missed opportunity to bring the WindowsRT-toting tablets into the Windows10 fold and silence (to an extent) all those critics who said that Windows doesn't run on anything else than Intel. Worst still because folks I know who've got RT devices (Surface's and Nokia 1520's) seem pretty happy with them, but are less so if their "precious" is going to be downgraded to "paperweight".
    I was under the impression that "Windows 10" on PI was basically going to be a GUI-less powershell thing

  4. Received thanks from:

    crossy (30-03-2015)

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    342
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    27 times in 23 posts

    Re: Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

    Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Can someone explain to me why* Windows 10 will run on a Raspberry Pi 2 (ARM powered, limited memory and storage), but WindowsRT devices (ARM powered, limited memory and storage) are excluded from the party?
    Windows 10 EMBEDDED, runs in the Pi 2, not full desktop Windows 10.

  6. Received thanks from:

    crossy (30-03-2015)

  7. #5
    Le Adder Noir CK_1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    587
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked
    29 times in 24 posts
    • CK_1985's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WiFi mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX660ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG-05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Fibre

    Re: Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

    So I guess the real question is how is this going to be differentiated from the Pro version?

    Obviously lower powered processors, I'm guessing a RAM trim and smaller/slower storage options... Trouble is, most people probably wouldn't notice those differences day-to-day, so the worry would be that in order to avoid cannibalising Pro sales, they might do something drastic to hamstring the non-Pro version. Hope not though!
    "I want to be young and wild, then I want to be middle aged and rich, then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf..."

    my Hexus.Trust

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,207
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    114 times in 102 posts

    Re: Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

    Quote Originally Posted by CK_1985 View Post
    So I guess the real question is how is this going to be differentiated from the Pro version?
    Assuming core-m... I'd go 10inch 1080p 16:9 display like surface 2 (although 1440p 3:2 might be a differentiator over oem's), stylus, 4GB ram and max of say 128GB ssd... all in a slightly smaller/thinner surface 2 chassis

    10inch would allow inclusion of 'freemium' office without offending oems, stylus because that's a selling point for windows devices and the rest wouldn't cut into the 'pro' specs of the surface pro

  9. #7
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    742
    Thanked
    1,485 times in 1,252 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 35 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Assuming core-m...
    Ideally they would use Core-M on the pro version, and Carrizo-L on the non-Pro. That should mirror quite well the split of usage between powerpoint presentations and Angry Flappy Candy Farm or whatever the latest tablet game is. I presume AMD won't be able to compete with Atoms being given away though.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,207
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    114 times in 102 posts

    Re: Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Ideally they would use Core-M on the pro version, and Carrizo-L on the non-Pro. That should mirror quite well the split of usage between powerpoint presentations and Angry Flappy Candy Farm or whatever the latest tablet game is. I presume AMD won't be able to compete with Atoms being given away though.
    core-m is considerably slower performing than haswell/broadwell i3/i5/i7 in most respects, it isn't 'pro' performance (broadwell with iris would be perfect in my opinion - hint hint ms). I can understand the idea of using an amd cpu/gpu but it won't happen, intel will win on 'price' not to mention simplifying drivers etc for MS.

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London town
    Posts
    427
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    21 times in 16 posts

    Re: Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CK_1985 View Post
    So I guess the real question is how is this going to be differentiated from the Pro version?
    Assuming core-m... I'd go 10inch 1080p 16:9 display like surface 2 (although 1440p 3:2 might be a differentiator over oem's), stylus, 4GB ram and max of say 128GB ssd... all in a slightly smaller/thinner surface 2 chassis

    10inch would allow inclusion of 'freemium' office without offending oems, stylus because that's a selling point for windows devices and the rest wouldn't cut into the 'pro' specs of the surface pro
    Plus they keep rolling out remote management stuff to the pro that they don't need to bundle with this.

    3:2 around 8-9" 1080p with a clip on keyboard, Core M and about 128GB would be bloody marvellous.

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,207
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    114 times in 102 posts

    Re: Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

    Quote Originally Posted by gagaga View Post
    Plus they keep rolling out remote management stuff to the pro that they don't need to bundle with this.

    3:2 around 8-9" 1080p with a clip on keyboard, Core M and about 128GB would be bloody marvellous.
    and a stylus... got to have a stylus

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife (Scotland)
    Posts
    4,991
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    220 times in 190 posts
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

    Re: Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooms View Post
    I was under the impression that "Windows 10" on PI was basically going to be a GUI-less powershell thing
    Quote Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
    Windows 10 EMBEDDED, runs in the Pi 2, not full desktop Windows 10.
    I thought Microsoft were really scornful of systems that ran without GUI's, at least those destined for end-user (even hobbyist) use. Thanks for the replies though.

    Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

  14. #12
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    742
    Thanked
    1,485 times in 1,252 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 35 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Reviews - Microsoft Surface 3 to be its first 'non-Pro' tablet with Intel inside

    Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I thought Microsoft were really scornful of systems that ran without GUI's, at least those destined for end-user (even hobbyist) use. Thanks for the replies though.
    It is using the Internet of Things build of Windows: http://dev.windows.com/en-us/feature...errypi2support

    So in that context you don't expect IoT devices to have a GUI, but that does seem to be selling the platform woefully short of what it is capable of.

    My Pi2 has a PiGlow LED board plugged in the top, and a script running that checks one of the kid's Minecraft servers every second and lights as many LEDs as there are people logged into the server. I guess that is a Thing that is on the Internet and makes me their target audience. The cool part for me was that I developed the script sat in front of the Pi, using the browser on the Pi to find out how to do Minecraft server status requests (use a Python module from DinnerBone apparently), and an editor on the Pi to mess with the script between test runs.

    In fact when we had a power cut recently, I went straight to the Pi2 when power came back as it allowed me to check the home Internet connection, server etc had come back up OK without having to power up a full blown PC.

    The point here is that the machine is *so* capable of being used locally, I think Microsoft will be crazy not to enable some sort of desktop.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •