Thread: AMD may have revealed Windows 10 launch date in earnings call

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD may have revealed Windows 10 launch date in earnings call

And will be talking about its next gen graphics range "later this quarter".
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: AMD may have revealed Windows 10 launch date in earnings call

GTA 5 would benefit a lot from this DX12 goodness. A dual core would become more than capable to keep up with the quads. Only hopes...
    Later edit: The confidence of these CEOs is almost always bull****: "products to take a strong position in the second half of the year". Yeah, if you take into consideration the fact that the target performance they aim has been already ocupied by nvidia with the Titan X and the fact that already a good number of potential customers have bought a Titan, I don't think they will switch to a 390X, if it comes to market 3-4 months later. So, for short, those are lost buyers, doctor Lisa Su.
    Last edited by yeeeeman; 20-04-2015 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

It's possible that W10 may show up at the end of July, but I don't think it's likely. It's close - very close, but still not quite there. If I were a betting person, I'd aim more for the end of Q3 (September) than the beginning (July). I could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time) but so far, Spartan still isn't ready for prime time, and DX12 hasn't seen much, if any, wide spread usage in the wild.

And, as per usual, we'll see what, if anything, AMD pulls out of their hat. Hopefully it's not another incremental GPU advance at the expense of their CPU market. Again...
    Esse Quam Videri
    Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Quote Originally Posted by yeeeeman View Post
    GTA 5 would benefit a lot from this DX12 goodness. A dual core would become more than capable to keep up with the quads. Only hopes...
    Later edit: The confidence of these CEOs is almost always bull****: "products to take a strong position in the second half of the year". Yeah, if you take into consideration the fact that the target performance they aim has been already ocupied by nvidia with the Titan X and the fact that already a good number of potential customers have bought a Titan, I don't think they will switch to a 390X, if it comes to market 3-4 months later. So, for short, those are lost buyers, doctor Lisa Su.
    There's got to be loads of people put off the titan X with the ~£850 price tag - something with that much performance and a reasonable price tag will sell a lot better than titan does.

Thanks
    • Agrippa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X299 Taichi XE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7820X @ 4.8GHz (delid)
      • Memory:
      • 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 C14 @ 3600 CL15
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SM961 256GB, 850 EVO 1TBx2, 850 EVO 250GB, 840 512GB, Seagate 1TB, 2TB, 8x8TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 1080 Ti RoG Strix
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000x
      • Case:
      • Lian Li D8000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P
      • Internet:
      • 500/500 Fiber

Indeed. I'd very much like a card with that kind of performance, and I could also afford a Titan X, but there's no way in hell I'd spend £850 on *any* video card. Particularly one that includes twice as much memory as I will ever need within the time span in which I'm likely to own it, presumably with the sole purpose of inflating the card's price. No thanks, I'll wait for a 980Ti vs 390X shoot-out and decide from there.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    It's possible that W10 may show up at the end of July, but I don't think it's likely. It's close - very close, but still not quite there. If I were a betting person, I'd aim more for the end of Q3 (September) than the beginning (July). I could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time) but so far, Spartan still isn't ready for prime time, and DX12 hasn't seen much, if any, wide spread usage in the wild.
    I'm with you on the September launch - mainly because launching a new OS for summer seems a little strange. Unless, or course, the CFO's office is getting worried...
    I'm not convinced that lack of Spartan would be a show-stopper for a launch anyway. Last time I checked (and I'm quite willing to be wrong about this) it wasn't an essential part of W10 - more a "jam tomorrow" future-face-of-Windows type thing.
    Actually on a personal note I'd be happier with a launch sooner rather than later mainly because my Win7 setup is now getting very unstable. So I think time has come for the usual Windows re-install nausea (am I the only one who thinks INI files would be preferable datastores to that damnable registry?). But, I'm thinking that reinstalling Win7 for only a couple of months use is maybe a lot of effort - and maybe it'd be worth holding off and doing a fresh W10 install instead.
    And of course getting a copy of W8.1 in the meantime is a distinct non-starter... (before someone suggests it)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    And, as per usual, we'll see what, if anything, AMD pulls out of their hat. Hopefully it's not another incremental GPU advance at the expense of their CPU market. Again...
    +1 on this. I'm starting to despair of seeing anything ground breaking in the discrete CPU market from AMD. Heck, I'd even settle for a warmed over FX line at the moment - preferably one that didn't have a sky high TDP. But at the moment, disk space is my big problem (lack of!) rather than cpu horse power.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Smooth work Lisa breaking NDA, shall look forward to Microsoft accidentally announcing an AMD release date in retaliation

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I'm not convinced about what can, or should, be read into a Win10 launch date from her remarks.

She was, after all, talking about their projections for their own financials, and how they derived them. It would, therefore, be unreasonable not to include the predicted impact of Win10. Given the "this summer" expectation, and that end-July is roughly mid-point for the normal summer definition of June-August, then that date may be no more than a prudent guesstimate.

Or it may be based on unreleased knowledge.

I don't see how we can know, or sensibly guess, which.

Nor, frankly, do I care. We'll know well in advance of actual availability because MS, as usual, will no doubt have the usual fanfare and fireworks in advance to build pre-orders, plans, anticipation, publicity and hype. It matters not, really, if we get a date one, three or six months in advance. Well, not to me anyway, because it won't affect my decisions. What will is more detail of exactly what MS strategic direction, pricing, clarification on the "free" 12 months, etc. But not exact date.

Banned
    Thanks

Does it matter when win10 is released? No-one in their right mind will install it until we get at least sp1.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    Does it matter when win10 is released? No-one in their right mind will install it until we get at least sp1.
    Do people still wait for SP1? That was so last millennium.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I thought the plan was for no more service packs, but constant, automatic, inline, streaming updates?

It's one of the mooted aspects of Win10 that worries me.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Hmm, I didn't have that much in the way of hassle with Win7. Couple that with the generally-held-view that W10 better be pretty b**** good or else Saracen isn't going to be the only one heading for the sunny uplands of Linux, and maybe we can be cautiously optimistic about the lack of Murphy Features in W10.

Then again, some (cynics?) have described W10 as "W8 SP2" - so maybe it'll be okay to go before W10SP1.

By the way, I'd not read too much into AMD referring to the word "launch" wrt W10 - since that could just mean the usual orgy of hype and publicity running up to actual availability. For example the Jawbone UP3 was "launched" quite a while ago - but there's been much grousing that the actual availability is around now. Same with Apple - the Watch was launched a while ago, but the store still said "pre orders" last time I looked. (Which granted was a while ago, because I'm not intending to buy an Apple Watch).

The other aspect is that if AMD figure on W10 availability driving a lot of people to upgrade their hardware, then they (AMD) will presumably need to ramp up their production quite a bit ahead of the W10 ship date - so they can produce the CPU's, APU's and GPU's, get them to manufacturers and let the manufacturers build that final "ship" product.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

I always wait a year to see whether a new OS is any good and for the bugs to get ironed out.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

I will - I for one will embrace the DX12 goodness and get better performance from my rig.
    I also have a xbone so will like the PC/console integration.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

I've been using it as my daily driver for a couple of months now, and after the next update, I may well use it as my daily driver on my primary/gaming rig. I'm not thrilled with the new looks (I'm fond of the original Windows 95 desktop, at least for looks, and all my systems still sport that look) but there are plenty of ways to alter that appearance - in particular, the ones that were made to make Win8/8.1 look/feel like Win7.

Only thing I absolutely do not like - the lack of the Games Explorer, as introduced in Vista, and carried on to 7. I shall figure out how to make a proper version of that, instead of just a folder full of shortcuts.
    Esse Quam Videri
    Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

Thread Information