Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: C.H.I.P. is the world's first $9 microcomputer

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27,269
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,680 times in 584 posts

    C.H.I.P. is the world's first $9 microcomputer

    This 1GHz barebones machine measures just 60 x 40mm (2.3 x 1.5-inches).
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    624
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked
    60 times in 40 posts
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
      • CPU:
      • 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Arctic White 32GB (8 x 4GB) @ Stock
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SanDisk Extreme II SSD, 960GB ADATA 8200 M.2, 960GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD, 1TB Samsung F3 HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 295X2 OC @ Stock
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" ASUS PB287Q 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • VM @ 350/20

    Re: C.H.I.P. is the world's first $9 microcomputer

    Its interesting but to get it to a meaningful usable state (ie output to a half decent monitor) your looking at a base of $9 plus $15 (for HDMI) = $24. Its getting near pi territory for that money and with the pi you have more inputs / outputs but you do have to add your own SD card which has positives (more space) and negatives (cost of an SD card on top of pi).

  3. #3
    Senior Member Spreadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    an island in the south
    Posts
    1,398
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    226 times in 155 posts
    • Spreadie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock AB350M Pro4 mATX
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen R5 1600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 512GB m.2 SSDs, 3TB SATA SSDs, 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 980 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W Gold
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer H277HU
      • Internet:
      • FTTC 52Mb/s

    Re: C.H.I.P. is the world's first $9 microcomputer

    Take a look at the shipping costs to the UK. $20 for just the bare board!
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!


  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,129
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    189 times in 160 posts

    Re: C.H.I.P. is the world's first $9 microcomputer

    Sounds like the old ebay scam.

    £0.99 product £20 shipping. No refund on shipping

  5. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    6 times in 3 posts

    Re: C.H.I.P. is the world's first $9 microcomputer

    They'll be giving computers away soon free with packs of breakfast serial!

  6. #6
    Token 'murican GuidoLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    806
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    110 times in 78 posts
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

    Re: C.H.I.P. is the world's first $9 microcomputer

    Allwinner has issues with violating various licensing schemes they've signed on to, including the basic Linux GPL. Most people probably aren't aware of the issues, and many more probably won't care, given the low price. But they should be aware that the main item in this device (the SoC) is the product of a lot of indifference and outright theft. It's the only way they can manufacture and sell these chips at $5.00 and less.

    That The Next Thing Company is choosing to partner with this company doesn't speak very highly of them. At least not to me. Research and follow your conscience before pledging even $9.00.
    Esse Quam Videri
    Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...


  7. #7
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    8,939
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked
    885 times in 755 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M5A-97 EVO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 16GB ECC 1333
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 28 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: C.H.I.P. is the world's first $9 microcomputer

    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    But they should be aware that the main item in this device (the SoC) is the product of a lot of indifference and outright theft. It's the only way they can manufacture and sell these chips at $5.00 and less.
    What this lot? http://linux-sunxi.org/GPL_Violations

    It isn't the only way they can sell the chips at $5 and less, I'm sure if Allwinner did things properly the cost wouldn't change. Doing things within the GPL can be quite hard though, and I'm sure the end result would be something GPL compliant and with no further code released just better packaging so that the binary blobs are no longer included in the released code, just code that can find and access the binary blobs.

  8. #8
    Token 'murican GuidoLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    806
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    110 times in 78 posts
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

    Re: C.H.I.P. is the world's first $9 microcomputer

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    What this lot? http://linux-sunxi.org/GPL_Violations

    It isn't the only way they can sell the chips at $5 and less, I'm sure if Allwinner did things properly the cost wouldn't change. Doing things within the GPL can be quite hard though, and I'm sure the end result would be something GPL compliant and with no further code released just better packaging so that the binary blobs are no longer included in the released code, just code that can find and access the binary blobs.
    Cost isn't the issue here. Ethics are. Your own response acknowledges that there are ethics issues. And that's supposedly been one of the most important, if not the most important cornerstone of Linux - the ethics. People dish on Nvidia because their drivers are closed - at least they actually made them. Allwinner is literally taking code from others, making it closed source, and not giving credit across the board where it belongs. It's a dangerous precedent, on a lot of different levels, with the potential for a lot of bad results for everyone from devs to end users.

    It's a neat toy. But it's no neater, nor any better than the Pi or any of the other micro-mini computers coming out for roughly the same price - and the ethics problems don't seem to exist with them. If they can make a good product by doing the right thing, then fine - they deserve the support. They don't deserve to be rewarded for doing the wrong thing.
    Esse Quam Videri
    Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...


  9. #9
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    8,939
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked
    885 times in 755 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M5A-97 EVO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 16GB ECC 1333
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 28 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: C.H.I.P. is the world's first $9 microcomputer

    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    Cost isn't the issue here. Ethics are. Your own response acknowledges that there are ethics issues. And that's supposedly been one of the most important, if not the most important cornerstone of Linux - the ethics. People dish on Nvidia because their drivers are closed - at least they actually made them. Allwinner is literally taking code from others, making it closed source, and not giving credit across the board where it belongs. It's a dangerous precedent, on a lot of different levels, with the potential for a lot of bad results for everyone from devs to end users.

    It's a neat toy. But it's no neater, nor any better than the Pi or any of the other micro-mini computers coming out for roughly the same price - and the ethics problems don't seem to exist with them. If they can make a good product by doing the right thing, then fine - they deserve the support. They don't deserve to be rewarded for doing the wrong thing.
    Yes, and I was trying so say there that ethics doesn't actually cost that much. But having used GPL tools and libraries in commercial products, if you don't get it right from day one I shudder to think how much pain you are going to go through sorting it out. In the case of someone like an SOC provider they need to make sure that every single bit of IP they buy in has open source drivers available for it, I don't even know if that is possible right now. Even the Pi went through grief because of the video driver.

    Still, for me the Pi 2 is a better product so I don't see this interesting me. Good luck to them though.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •