Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft details upcoming Windows 10 editions

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft details upcoming Windows 10 editions

There will be six Windows 10 SKUs plus three embedded/IoT versions.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Guppy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z170 Extreme4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • Adata 1TB NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 100MB

Re: Microsoft details upcoming Windows 10 editions

I don't know why they have to make it so complicated, wouldn't it just be easier to have 2 SKUs:
    Windows 10 - combining home, pro, enterprise and education
    Windows 10 Mobile - combining normal and enterprise

Thanks
    • BlackDwarf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz w/ Corsair H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Samsung 850 EVO, 60Gb Crucial M4 & 2TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 550W Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 540 Air
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 24" Dell U2314H
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fiber 80Mb/20Mb

Having worked with both Enterprise and Education customers, different SKU's are likely to be just to separate (and hopefully benefit, money-wise) each. Schools normally have significantly different subscription agreements with Microsoft than Enterprise customers, and there may well be some apps that don't install on the Edu SKU.

I'm liking Windows 10 more and more each day. Can't wait to have an RC to install and run permanently.
    Diablo (Main PC): Corsair Air 540; Gigabyte Z77-D3H; i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz; 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PC3-12000; 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO; EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid; 2x Dell U2414H; Windows 10 x64.
    Imperius (VM Server): 2x Intel 5640, 64Gb RAM, 2x1Tb, 6x Intel NIC, VMware ESX 5.5
    Tyrael (File Server): Synology DS410 w/ 4x HD154UI; 2Gb RAM; DSM 5.2

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

They obviously decided that edition simplifying in Windows 8 was unnecessary!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks

How is it complicated? They are all licensed differently, and as BlackDwarf said, it is to keep them all separate for convienence as they will be distrubuted differently. It's not as if you walk into a shop and see all versions on a shelf.

Consumer version (home), Business version (Pro), Enterprise version (Big business licensing), Education (multi-machine licensing) and two mobile versions; general and an enterprise version.

Then trimmed versions for kiosks and devices without interaction, oh and Xbox.

Thanks

I don't want there crap upgrade I would want a full version of win 10 Pro ( to match the pro version i use )
    we all no a fresh full install is the best way to upgrade.
    also does this mean people running win pro 8.1 will get a free download of the same or are the free upgrades restricted to win home 10!!!!!!!!!!
    Tom

Thanks

they could have made it easier but it's not that complicated yet, I'm still waiting for the 'eu' anti competition versions with stuff taken out

Home - everyday user although I do sometimes feel that home is too limited
    Pro - work from home/power use/small business
    Enterprise - subscription/bulk license, so no real change there.
    Education - could be designed to have additional school focused tools to help with restrictions and obviously education payment options. A school focused store likely too.

Windows mobile... why couldn't they have just had that as one version?

Thanks

It's not exactly like they're changing much than from their current SKU ecosystem. Not entirely sure what to get up in arms about

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

For me, it looks like Pro. If any at all.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Just a couple of factoids to maybe help some people loosen up the knots in their knickers.

1) The reason the educational version and the enterprise versions are not on the same SKU is simple. The US government (and probably every other government in the world that has electricity and a PC made after 1994) is under contract to get the lowest priced business enterprise version. The educational versions are priced even lower. After some negotiation (and litigation) this was decided on to make things the most fair for everyone. If the educational and enterprise were on the same SKU, then your local government would be getting the educational discount instead of the business discount.

2) There are only 4 skus the average Hexus (or any other breathing person) user has to worry about. Home, Mobile, Educational and Pro. If you have to complain about not understanding Enterprise, you neither need, nor likely can you afford, to purchase an Enterprise license. The biggest difference between home and pro is the Windows update process. Read more here. The article will also explain the question of how Enterprise will be able to deal with updates in the future.

Educational versions should be obvious, and won't be changing.

Mobile has 3 versions. 1 for phones, one for low powered tablets and one IoT. All different devices, all different functions. As a consumer, you won't be purchasing Win10 for IoT devices.

Enterprise has a couple of different versions - one for PC's, a mobile SKU and a semi-IoT sku for things like kiosks, atms, etc, where single use licensing is impossible. These are 3 sku's that nobody outside of big business has any need to worry about.

I don't have access to anything 'official', but 'grapevine' (as opposed to the rumor mill) says that current Windows Home and Basic users will be straight lined over to Windows Home, and Pro will straight line over to Pro, based on your current license key. Enterprise will not be getting a free upgrade. Portable devices that aren't laptops and their direct relatives I don't know about.

You'll have a few options for upgrading - a download/clean install, or a download/upgrade, or, if you're doing the insider program, for the first time, you will be able to convert directly from preview version to RTM. There is, believe it or not, still a bit of confusion on if Insiders will get the upgrade for free, or if they'll need to convert a Win7/8/8.1 key - Gabe Aul said one thing, sort of backtracked, and then someone else has sort of back tracked on the back track, so that part is in limbo.

I know there are people that have actually clicked on the link and read the information. I suggest everyone does so, because there's a lot of knee jerk that really indicates some people aren't even reading the article on Hexus, let alone the source information.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
    I don't know why they have to make it so complicated, wouldn't it just be easier to have 2 SKUs:
    Windows 10 - combining home, pro, enterprise and education
    Windows 10 Mobile - combining normal and enterprise
    Almost as easy as going to a car dealership and having the choice between a car and a pickup truck. And only a car and a pick up truck. Both grey. Both 2 door with no ac or heat. And no options, at all. Because that's what 2 sku's mean. When you go to the grocery store, and there are 4 different boxes of Cheerios, even though they are the "same" product, and they all do exactly the same thing, they all have a different SKU,

Thanks

I could be reading to much into this announcement coupled with past announcements, but I'm guessing the Home, Pro, Enterprise versions tie into the different update rings.

Home = Has to take both security and feature updates as there made available.
    Pro = Has to take security updates when available and can choose to delay feature updates for a time.
    Enterprise = Can delay both security and feature updates for a time.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I could be reading to much into this announcement coupled with past announcements, but I'm guessing the Home, Pro, Enterprise versions tie into the different update rings.

Pro = Has to take security updates when available and can choose to delay feature updates for a time.
    There are no previews for home and enterprise, but so far, for Pro, you have the choice of updates being done automatically as they're pushed out, or giving permission to download/install. It's kind of hard to determine if anything should be delayed/ignored at this point, because there's been nothing to delay/ignore. Things actually related to Windows 10 have been, in my mind, critical to the ability to test the OS. Other stuff that's come through, and somewhat regularly, has included updates for Defender, driver updates (almost always optimized, and almost always signed) and .net security updates, but I'm relatively certain those have come due to some piece of software I've installed that's also installed a version of .net that wasn't previously installed. In other words, stuff that probably shouldn't be ignored.

Another difference that may occur (can't find anything official, nor anyone willing to discuss it) is that Applocker might come back to Pro, but won't be in Home.

But so far, the most obvious differences that have been enumerated are the update rings, but I'd be willing to bet there are further differences, especially between the consumer products (Home, Pro) and Enterprise.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Plus ça change.

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post

H'mm don't like the words "for a time" as if MS decide to go to subscription in the future then they could stop you blocking a download that would make your Win10 inoperable until you pay for this service.
    So with a suspicious mind.....MS get the world onto their Win 10 OS (inc free for pirates) then they can turn the screw in the future...........................
    Last edited by excalibur2; 14-05-2015 at 07:38 PM.
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur2 View Post
    H'mm don't like the words "for a time" as if MS decide to go to subscription in the future then they could stop you blocking a download that would make your Win10 inoperable until you pay for this service.
    So with a suspicious mind.....MS get the world onto their Win 10 OS (inc free for pirates) then they can turn the screw in the future...........................
    I know I'm wasting my time, but I did provide a link that explains how the new Update system will work. If you aren't willing to read it, and let it put into proper context on what 'for a time' might mean, then by all means, don't upgrade. But seriously, educate yourself first. Because even if MS ever considered putting out such a blocker, in violation of so many EU regulations that Brussels would go into meltdown, that still doesn't negate your ability to simply disconnect from the net.

I understand Saracen's privacy concerns. But paranoia based on nothing but imaginary things never posted on the net by anyone that actually knows better is just silly.

17. Received thanks from:

Percy1983 (15-05-2015),Tabbykatze (15-05-2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information