Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD publishes flurry of Radeon R9 Fury product videos

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD publishes flurry of Radeon R9 Fury product videos

And the dual-Fiji board from within the Project Quantum PC is pictured.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: AMD publishes flurry of Radeon R9 Fury product videos

That board looks a bit big for the mini PC...

Is there any word on the rest of the specifications of quantum? I'm mostly interested in the processor...

Thanks
    • nitro912gr's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II x6 1090T
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB Kingstone Beast 2133Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 640GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon 7850 DD 1GB
      • PSU:
      • XFX ProSeries 450W Core Edition
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster N300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2313HM

Quote Originally Posted by CustardInc View Post
    That board looks a bit big for the mini PC...

Is there any word on the rest of the specifications of quantum? I'm mostly interested in the processor...
    the socket doesn't look like am3+, it is like opteron's socket (or intel's, but I don't think amd used intel...)

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Looked like the FM2 scoket but not sure what the point of putting an APU in that system would be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    Looked like the FM2 scoket but not sure what the point of putting an APU in that system would be.
    Looking back at the Project Quantum video, at 1:08 you can see two mITX boards. They both have Intel Gb NICs, and what look very much like Intel sockets and CPUs to me (although admittedly I've never seen an opteron socket, but a quick google search shows that they have pads on the CPUs, not pins, so I could be wrong)

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

That board looks a bit big for the mini PC... ...
    I think mini-pc is a bit misleading - the motherboard's a reduced matx number by the look of it (what used to be called flex-atx back in the day), and the card will lie flat using a riser - a custom waterplate should mean the entire solution is no thicker than a standard single-slot PCIe card.. The segment containing the actual components looks to be around the size of a chunky desktop case (think an Antec Minuet 300), but there's another box of similar size on top of that holding the BIG rad (looks like at least a 180mm to me, and possibly even bigger). The whole system certainly isn't what I'd call "console sized"....

Quote Originally Posted by nitro912gr View Post
    the socket doesn't look like am3+ ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    Looked like the FM2 scoket ...
    It's pretty hard to tell from the video which socket it is - even freezed and full-screened at 1080p it's very indistinct. My instincts, looking at the shape of the CPU and how much of the package is visible, is that it's a PGA socket, so probably AM3+ or FM2+ - I think if it was LGA there'd be less of the package visible under the shim. OTOH, AMD have several 8 core 65W CPUs available for socket C32, so there's no good reason they couldn't slap an unnamed processor in there which is actually an opteron with the name filed off. One thing we can definitely rule out is G34 though - that's a rectangular socket/chip.

My money would usually be on AM3+ given the target market of the system, but I'm not sure there's room on the mobo for a two-part chipset: one of the chips is clearly visible on the board but I can't see the second. If it's a single-chip chipset that would imply FM2+ (although nvidia did some single-chip solutions for the AMX series sockets, so that's not definitive), but that still doesn't mean it's got an APU beating away at the heart: AMD've made a big thing of their semi-custom business and they could easily have fabbed up a semi-custom CPU to drop in to an entirely in-house machine...

Thanks

Honestly now I've seen the video of the mini pc I'm not sure why anyone would actually want one...

Seems like it's just a fancy mitx case to me with support for watercooling everything inside the case (in theory fractals watercoolers could do this in a mitx case).

Also kind of defeats the point if you have an external psu what looks almost as big as the case....and yeah that red glare on the polished metal will really be great in a dark room.

edit: and the irony of using intel motherboards in an AMD product (they are definitely both intel CustardInc). Hopefully it's just for prototype stages rather than end product.

Thanks

Did the name remind anyone else of the ATI Rage Fury / Fury MAXX from the days we had more than two players making discrete graphics card?
    Which reminds me, what is Matrox doing nowadays? It is one of very few survivors from the old days but I don't recall a single hardware since the TripleHead2Go.. which isn't even a graphic card.

Thanks
    • nitro912gr's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II x6 1090T
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB Kingstone Beast 2133Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 640GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon 7850 DD 1GB
      • PSU:
      • XFX ProSeries 450W Core Edition
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster N300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2313HM

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I think mini-pc is a bit misleading - the motherboard's a reduced matx number by the look of it (what used to be called flex-atx back in the day), and the card will lie flat using a riser - a custom waterplate should mean the entire solution is no thicker than a standard single-slot PCIe card.. The segment containing the actual components looks to be around the size of a chunky desktop case (think an Antec Minuet 300), but there's another box of similar size on top of that holding the BIG rad (looks like at least a 180mm to me, and possibly even bigger). The whole system certainly isn't what I'd call "console sized"....

It's pretty hard to tell from the video which socket it is - even freezed and full-screened at 1080p it's very indistinct. My instincts, looking at the shape of the CPU and how much of the package is visible, is that it's a PGA socket, so probably AM3+ or FM2+ - I think if it was LGA there'd be less of the package visible under the shim. OTOH, AMD have several 8 core 65W CPUs available for socket C32, so there's no good reason they couldn't slap an unnamed processor in there which is actually an opteron with the name filed off. One thing we can definitely rule out is G34 though - that's a rectangular socket/chip.

My money would usually be on AM3+ given the target market of the system, but I'm not sure there's room on the mobo for a two-part chipset: one of the chips is clearly visible on the board but I can't see the second. If it's a single-chip chipset that would imply FM2+ (although nvidia did some single-chip solutions for the AMX series sockets, so that's not definitive), but that still doesn't mean it's got an APU beating away at the heart: AMD've made a big thing of their semi-custom business and they could easily have fabbed up a semi-custom CPU to drop in to an entirely in-house machine...
    now that I think of it again maybe it is an am3+ with LGA and the metal around it, is the base for watercooling.

Thanks

I'm fairly sure it's just an mITX board; at 1:08 you can see the radiator, which I agree to be 18cm, next to one of the boards. The mITX standard is 17cmx17cm, which this seems to be, next to the 18cm rad. Also, the mounting hole at the bottom left matches up with a mITX hole. I'm certain that it's an LGA socket, the question is which...

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    ... Which reminds me, what is Matrox doing nowadays? It is one of very few survivors from the old days but I don't recall a single hardware since the TripleHead2Go.. which isn't even a graphic card.
    Still creating expensive professional-quality 2D cards for multi-monitor setups in large corporate environments and for digital signage. They currently peak at 8 monitors on a single card. In that sense I suppose they're not unlike Via: surviving as a niche player in a a niche market where they have a strong reputation

EDIT:

I'm fairly sure it's just an mITX board ...
    Looking again, you could well be right - I was judging it on the distance from the IO section, but without a "full" IO there it's a bit harder to tell. Took me several attempts to spot the fixing hole, which is absolutely in the right place for mitx - good spot

I'm still unconvinced by it being LGA though; I suppose only time will tell (assuming AMD don't somehow obfuscate the nature of the processor... ).
    Last edited by scaryjim; 17-06-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks

Still creating expensive professional-quality 2D cards for multi-monitor setups in large corporate environments and for digital signage. They currently peak at 8 monitors on a single card. In that sense I suppose they're not unlike Via: surviving as a niche player in a a niche market where they have a strong reputation
    ironically using amd/ati hardware lol

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I'm still unconvinced by it being LGA though; I suppose only time will tell (assuming AMD don't somehow obfuscate the nature of the processor... ).
    Apparently I'm an idiot; whilst replying to a question on this point on another thread I did a little more researtch and found http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97E-ITXac/

So, erm, yeah - for the prototyping at least, they used an Intel set up

Thanks

Yeah thats it for sure, just after a lot of modding. Nice spot.

Thanks

Is it at all possible it's using the Zen architecture?

Registered+
    Thanks

fm4 socket for zen and zen apu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information