Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,591
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,019 times in 718 posts

    Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    Windows 10 powered 11.6- and 14-inch laptops will go toe-to-toe against Chromebooks.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    so that will be £200 in the UK jeesh

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    186
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts
    • gordon861's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX2070
      • Operating System:
      • Win7-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Benq 2760

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    Order from the US (amazon.com) and pay the £30-40 import tax and still save money.

  4. #4
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,249
    Thanks
    704
    Thanked
    1,383 times in 1,173 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    I'm guessing the use the word cloud in the name because there isn't any spare storage on it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    524
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    55 times in 31 posts

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    1366x768 TN screen, right?

  6. #6
    Senior Member cptwhite_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,107
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked
    552 times in 384 posts
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3060 Ti 8Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 350Mbps

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    No it's a UHD IPS panel @ 144Mhz

  7. #7
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gateshead
    Posts
    15,200
    Thanks
    1,230
    Thanked
    2,291 times in 1,874 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I'm guessing the use the word cloud in the name because there isn't any spare storage on it.
    That would be my assumption - a small amount of eMMC with a reliance on removable and/or cloud storage for the rest. Given bay trail tablets are available at < $100, I imagine the BOM would be not too dissimilar (exchanging the cost of a touchscreen for the cost of a keyboard/clamshell case and slightly larger screen). What interests me more is whether this is an indication of another OEM licensing deal my MS: these devices are above the screen size for the previous "free" Windows deals, but the pricing looks about right ...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,179
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    111 times in 100 posts

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    so it's basically a rebrand of the 'windows with bing' then with a slight reduction in price due to usual depreciation of value on parts or similar.

    I'd be guessing atom, 1 or 2GB ram, 32GB storage on the 11 inch and 4GB/64GB if lucky on the 14inch, if extra lucky this might even push out to a 1440x900 display... although they're both likely 720p or 1366x768 screens. You can already get an ASUS EeeBook X205 with atom, 2GB/32GB and 11.6inch 1366x768 and upto 8 hours for £160 including 1 year office subscription.

    Having said all that, for someone like my mum who literally uses the computer to access the web and use office that would be more than good enough for her if the battery life is ok.

  9. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    Yay! Race to bottom is complete. I wouldn't even give this to 10 yr old trying to do basic word-processing and internet. Dell is selling budget Ubuntu laptops in the US, even that sounds better.

  10. #10
    MCRN Tachi Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,735
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked
    728 times in 618 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO USB 3.1
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe wiv perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Having said all that, for someone like my mum who literally uses the computer to access the web and use office that would be more than good enough for her if the battery life is ok.
    My older Aspire One AO531H had a battery life of 7 hours.
    Specs are OK for what it is (Atom, 10" 1024x600, 160GB, 2GB DDR2, etc). Came with XP but could possibly run this stuff. Would just about play Tomb Raider: Legend without issue.

    I would hope the newer Aspire One is far superior...

  11. #11
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gateshead
    Posts
    15,200
    Thanks
    1,230
    Thanked
    2,291 times in 1,874 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    ... I would hope the newer Aspire One is far superior...
    AFAIK the quad core bay trail Atoms (I'd be amazed if these weren't using a quad bay trail) have similar performance to the small core AMD APUs (but with slightly less graphical ooomph). My step-son plays warframe on his A4-5000 based laptop. So while this isn't going to replace your desktop any time soon, it's likely to be way beyond the minimum requirements for the majority of PC users. I think we sometimes get a skewed view of PC performance, being a forum of enthusiasts and gamers...

  12. #12
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,249
    Thanks
    704
    Thanked
    1,383 times in 1,173 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    Quote Originally Posted by bluevaping View Post
    Yay! Race to bottom is complete. I wouldn't even give this to 10 yr old trying to do basic word-processing and internet. Dell is selling budget Ubuntu laptops in the US, even that sounds better.
    A 10yr old won't be doing word processing, they will be playing Minecraft. Might do OK at that

  13. #13
    Senior Member Lanky123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    922
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked
    152 times in 101 posts
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2+4TB HDD + 3TB Synology DS216SE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 270X HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • ElectriQ 32" 4k IPS + Dell 22" U2212HM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    I got the Toshiba Satellite Click Mini 8.9" in the Prime Sale a few days ago...£150 for an 8.9" 1920x1200 IPS screen, Windows 8.1, probably similar innards to this Cloudbook (2GB RAM, quad core Atom Z3735F) and the option to use it like a tablet. So you can get cheap machines with a good screen these days, IIRC Toshiba also do a Chromebook with a 1080p IPS screen too. Why anyone still buys the 1366x768 TN models is beyond me.

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    AFAIK the quad core bay trail Atoms (I'd be amazed if these weren't using a quad bay trail) have similar performance to the small core AMD APUs (but with slightly less graphical ooomph).
    Naturally the first thing I did was check if Crysis ran (it does, terrible frame rates though ), slightly older games like HL2/Portal are absolutely fine though, even running the Lost Coast benchmark at 1920x1200 with everything on high the FPS is still in the mid 20s, not too hard to get 60FPS playing with the settings. Similar with Age of Empires II HD, perfectly playable. Assuming the intended use for most people is movies/browsing it's more than powerful enough.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Brewster0101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,614
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked
    54 times in 44 posts
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky123 View Post
    I got the Toshiba Satellite Click Mini 8.9" in the Prime Sale a few days ago...£150 for an 8.9" 1920x1200 IPS screen, Windows 8.1, probably similar innards to this Cloudbook (2GB RAM, quad core Atom Z3735F) and the option to use it like a tablet. So you can get cheap machines with a good screen these days, IIRC Toshiba also do a Chromebook with a 1080p IPS screen too. Why anyone still buys the 1366x768 TN models is beyond me.
    Was tempted with the Click mini, but started to look at the HP Pavilion x2 which is nearly the same but bigger at 10". There are some good value tablet hybrids for Windows now under £250. :-)

  15. #15
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Microsoft shows off a $169 Acer Aspire One Cloudbook

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    so it's basically a rebrand of the 'windows with bing' then with a slight reduction in price due to usual depreciation of value on parts or similar.

    I'd be guessing atom, 1 or 2GB ram, 32GB storage on the 11 inch and 4GB/64GB if lucky on the 14inch, if extra lucky this might even push out to a 1440x900 display... although they're both likely 720p or 1366x768 screens. You can already get an ASUS EeeBook X205 with atom, 2GB/32GB and 11.6inch 1366x768 and upto 8 hours for £160 including 1 year office subscription.

    Having said all that, for someone like my mum who literally uses the computer to access the web and use office that would be more than good enough for her if the battery life is ok.
    If the 14-inch one has 4 GB of RAM and decent battery life, it might be interesting. It's better than a Chromebook anyway I guess.
    Last edited by andreipoe; 21-07-2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •