Thread: Mobile network switching should be easier, proposes Ofcom

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Mobile network switching should be easier, proposes Ofcom

Users shouldn't have to talk to their current provider in order to switch.
    Read more.

rainman

Re: Mobile network switching should be easier, proposes Ofcom

Last edited by rainman; 14-03-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks
    • zaph0d's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 48GB - 2X 32GB and 2X 16GB at 3200
      • Storage:
      • 480GB NVME (OS) 2TB 8 Drive sas Raid0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 1070
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-343B (Original Model)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2X 55" Samsung 4k tv's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 500Mb

To make option 2 safe, all that needs to happen is that when the LP is notified that the GP wants to take the contract, put in a 5-10 working day wait period. Ssend a letter to the customer asking them to contact the LP if the switch was made in error and upon no contact from customer to continue with the switch.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Personally, I don't give a hoot, not least because I don't care if I keep my existing nunber or not. In fact, one reason I've changed in the past was pecisely to change number. So, when I wanted out, I just cancelled, and went elsewhere. Besides, these days, PAYG suits me best, which is what I currently have.

If I did use contract phones, though, two immediate thoughts cross my mind, and rainman already mentioned one, that being 'slamming' ... and IIRC, it wasn't just phones subject to this, but utility suppliers too. So whatever OfCom comes up with, if it removes LP contact, it needs to ENSURE it absolutely requires genuine, legitimate and explicit customer initiation. I know OfCom can fine heavily (10% of turnover, IIRC), but's punishing the offender years down the track, and doesn't stop the consumer being put through the meat grinder in the meantime. I'd want to see the GP simply not able to I initiate transfer without some information they can ONLY get from me.

Secondly, if the consumer can go to the GP and initiate transfer without talking to the LP at all, they may lose out by not giving retentions the opportunity to .... ummm .... 'negotiate' you staying.

In short, I'd like to see OfCom put power in OUR hands to protect us from abuse of process, not babysit us, and try to take power away from us.

There were suggestions from Cameron a while back about auto-switching utilities to the best (I.e. cheapest) deal. What that totally misses is that the best deal isn't necessarily the cheapest. I KNOW my current utility deal isn't the cheapest, but the cheapest doesn't have the conditions I want. I'm more than willing to pay for that.

So provide backstop protection against abuse, but don't try to nanny us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    If I did use contract phones, though, two immediate thoughts cross my mind, and rainman already mentioned one, that being 'slamming' ... and IIRC, it wasn't just phones subject to this, but utility suppliers too. So whatever OfCom comes up with, if it removes LP contact, it needs to ENSURE it absolutely requires genuine, legitimate and explicit customer initiation. I know OfCom can fine heavily (10% of turnover, IIRC), but's punishing the offender years down the track, and doesn't stop the consumer being put through the meat grinder in the meantime. I'd want to see the GP simply not able to I initiate transfer without some information they can ONLY get from me.
    Agreed entirely. I had a utilities company do that to me some time ago and it was a complete ball ache to sort out.

I'm all for making things simple but I don't agree that not requiring people to talk to their current provider is a good thing. Far from it. If the system is open to abuse then it'll be abused and whilst Ofcom can indeed fine a company for doing so, it's the end user that gets mucked about with so it should be the end user that has the final say in a number porting.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    In short, I'd like to see OfCom put power in OUR hands to protect us from abuse of process, not babysit us, and try to take power away from us.

Thanks

I buy the phone i want unlocked then i get the sim deal i want. If not PAYG then rolling monthly or at most a 12 month contract which i currently have with 3, 2GB data, 200 mins, unlimited texts for £11, thats more than enough for my needs. If after a year i think its crap then i cancel.
    My second phone has a 3 PAYG sim, 1p per data, 2p text, 3p a minute call, if its crap then once the money is used up i ditch the sim.
    I am not bothered about changing numbers as all contacts remain on the phone, you just need to text the new number.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • AlSomething's system
      • CPU:
      • i7-4700MQ @ 2.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD, 1TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX 765M
      • Case:
      • PC Specailist Laptop
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

I've just requested my PAC code from Vodafone, apart from the wait it was very easy. The guy asked if he could lower my bill to an acceptable level. When I explained my new deal, he said sorry he couldn't match it or help and gave me my PAC code. Very easy and not a faff at all.
    Once in the past I rang up Vodafone asking for my PAC and they gave me a great deal, much better than the one I was about to switch too.
    It might help people who hate talking on the phone and only want to message people, but they will loose out. Only people it could help is deaf people, which is a plus.
    So I feel there is no point in fixing what isn't broken. OFCOM stop messing about here and look into the word unlimited again.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Numenor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Wolfdale E8400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Spinpoint F1 + 1TB Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor HD4870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 37" 1080p TV
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited

Either of these processes would be of benefit to a vast number of switchers - because it will stop the LP from refusing to stop trying to talk you out of leaving forever and a day. Last time I switched - from 3 to Giffgaff - I spent about FORTY MINUTES on the phone, repeatedly telling the hard-sell call centre operative that NO, I did not want to have them do this or that, or offer me a different deal or any other course of action, that all I wanted was my PAC. Forty minutes of grief to get the stubborn <insert expletive here> to agree to send it to me. That is something I could do without, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Thread Information