Thread: Google Maps Your Timeline feature rolls out

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Google Maps Your Timeline feature rolls out

Your Timeline shows where you've been and can integrate with Google Photos.
    Read more.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Google Maps Your Timeline feature rolls out

... Remembering that you must have opted in to store your Location History with Google ...
    Okaaaay.

If you spot Satan in a sports shop buying skis and an ice hammer, you might suspect I've done that.

Personally, if you find me sharing even the time of day with Google, call in men in white coats and reserve me a nice secure room with padded walls.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    If you spot Satan in a sports shop buying skis and an ice hammer, you might suspect I've done that.

Thank you for that wonderful visual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Okaaaay.

Personally, if you find me sharing even the time of day with Google, call in men in white coats and reserve me a nice secure room with padded walls.
    I saw this and thought it would probably get a frosty reception from you Saracen! I'm with you on this. I really don't want them logging this kind of stuff. What benefit does this possibly offer? Even with teenage children I'm not sure I'd want to stalk them. If you don;t give them trust and freedom you'll stifle them and harm them more than any protection you thought you were providing. In all other cases WTF would this be a good idea? What kind of stalking weirdo wants to know where someone is, has been and when in this level of detail? I got rid of facebook because of the mundane crap people kept spouting about day-to-day events. This just takes it to another level. The only people who might be able to make use of this are burglars and the security services. Hardly to the benefit of the user.

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

I suppose i'm one of the few who quite likes it; it provides me with a less intrusive (time-wise) method of capturing metrics for my life...

I can measure deviations in commute time and tally them up with particular events. E.g. if I've been at a gig venue, i'll have had less sleep that night, which shows up as a time delta from the average. From that I can determine whether I actually need to anticipate more of an energy jolt to kick in past the 10 mile or so mark of cycling, from that I can decide whether to pack a banana.

It shows me the frequency of venue visits, which in turn I can extrapolate to anticipated future expenditure based upon the popularity of my kind-of music in the local area. It also highlights seasonal disparity of activities and gives easy access to information about how long it has been since last visiting people/doing certain activities.

Data, glorious data...
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    I suppose i'm one of the few who quite likes it; it provides me with a less intrusive (time-wise) method of capturing metrics for my life...

I can measure deviations in commute time and tally them up with particular events. E.g. if I've been at a gig venue, i'll have had less sleep that night, which shows up as a time delta from the average. From that I can determine whether I actually need to anticipate more of an energy jolt to kick in past the 10 mile or so mark of cycling, from that I can decide whether to pack a banana.

It shows me the frequency of venue visits, which in turn I can extrapolate to anticipated future expenditure based upon the popularity of my kind-of music in the local area. It also highlights seasonal disparity of activities and gives easy access to information about how long it has been since last visiting people/doing certain activities.

Data, glorious data...
    ooh - interesting. I could use it selectively to record the persistent lateness of my commuter train.

Thanks
    • TaintedShirt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • 4*4 gig Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 240GB and 3.5TB Samsung Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1000
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ07B
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 accessed using my lovely Filco brown key
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241WZ
      • Internet:
      • 4meg of slowness increased to 5meg nice Billion 7800N

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    I'm with you on this. I really don't want them logging this kind of stuff.
    Eh, they've been logging this for years. So have all mobile phone companies, maybe not in quite so much detail but they have it. Google have given you an interface that you can now deal with what they have, delete what you want or you can also opt out of it too. Have Apple done this, T-mobile, Vodafone etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    What kind of stalking weirdo wants to know where someone is, has been and when in this level of detail? I got rid of facebook because of the mundane crap people kept spouting about day-to-day events. This just takes it to another level. The only people who might be able to make use of this are burglars and the security services. Hardly to the benefit of the user.
    From the article.
    Your Timeline feature "is private and visible only to you; and you control the locations you choose to keep."
    This is for you to track your own travels. Google uses it for many reasons, eg traffic on maps, (apps like waze use it too), location based reminders, Google now uses it, and of course we'll most likely start to get location specific advertising all too soon.

I'm no google fan boy, I do love android but I also like my privacy. However, Google haven't just gone and turned some data collection on. They are letting you see what they have been collecting for years or since you opted in.

As for me, I would like the option to have this information removed from all companies, I would like to see all these companies come forward and give me the choice. Google has now allowed me the choice, for that I am glad.

This may be of interest.

Thread Information