Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: QOTW: What are your first impressions of Windows 10?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

QOTW: What are your first impressions of Windows 10?

These are early days, but how are you liking Windows 10 thus far?
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: QOTW: What are your first impressions of Windows 10?

Was on the beta - loved it - but tried twice to upgrade my Win 7 gaming PC, Nvidia 970 and it's failed both times - runs at 1024*768 and will NOT install the Nvidia drivers... will try a clean install this weekend...

Thanks
    • RT-XD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HM77??
      • CPU:
      • i7 3740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb Sandisk Ultra Plus, 500Gb Hitachi 7200rpm + 32Gb SSD mSATA cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 680m
      • PSU:
      • A battery
      • Case:
      • M17xR4 case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Laptop Monitor + BenQ 21" 1080p Monitor

Couple bugs here and there. But generally pretty solid. Some Groove music bugs I've noticed, and then another annoying bug where USB storage devices unplug and re-plug themselves back in every few minutes.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • ste852's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X570-P
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600x
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 750W 80+Platinum
      • Case:
      • Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU
      • Internet:
      • MORE SPEED NEEDED!!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd223 View Post
    Was on the beta - loved it - but tried twice to upgrade my Win 7 gaming PC, Nvidia 970 and it's failed both times - runs at 1024*768 and will NOT install the Nvidia drivers... will try a clean install this weekend...

I had the same issue, What I did was download and save the drivers and then open up task manager, their should be a Nvidia installer or something along those lines running, end the process and then go to Settings > System > App's & features and search nvidia. Uninstall everything that pop's up and reboot. Once rebooted open Task manager again and end the Nvidia installer process again and then run the driver installer you downloaded from the website, it should install just fine then and roboot just to be sure, the PC should run just fine then.

Registered+
    Thanks

tried most of that - rebooted after uninstalling Nvidia everything and there was NO display at all - had to use system restore :-) but I didn't do the Task Manager thing - will try that before I reinstall - thank you

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS

... what are your first impressions of Windows 10?

So far, WORST version of Windows, ever.

Oh, it's slick enough, pretty enough, apparently good security etc, but for my taste it goes too far, way too far, in taking the personal out of Personal Computing.

Two main issues. Privacy, and auto-upgrades.

Until/unless MS address those (to my satisfaction) I'm not even interested in trying it. So it matters not how slick, pretty, secure or full-featured it is, if I don't trust it. Or rather, don't trust MS.

The privacy policy (August version) sucks hugely, IMHO. You are handing MS a vast amount of permission, to the point of effectively losing any rights at all over it, to your personal data. I understand why some aspects of Win10, like Cortana for instance, require that to work, but that's precisely my point - I neither need nor want anything Cortana offers, yet MS shove it in anyway and then rights-grab my personal info so it can work.

The same applies to auto-update. I understand the technical advantages of a common platform, but by agreeing to the EULA, you have accepted that MS can make ANY changes they wish, to the OS on YOUR machine, not only without your permission but without your knowledge. And they have previous .... like pushing out Bing search in a previous update. So .... well, remember Sony getting in all sorts of PR and potentially legal hot water by installing rootkits via CD/DVD play? Well guess what ... Win10 users have given permission for MS to install rootkits, pump out ad-engine based search bars, forcibly disable 3rd-party security tools, etc, should they wish to do so.

Will they? Who knows. But like I said, they have previous.

So yeah, my first impression is worst-ever Windows, by a country mile. Because it is attempting to hijack MY personal computer and turn it into an MS-controlled box, like an XBox.

Will it succeed? Not if people care about privacy or control it won't ....so yeah, it probably will succeed. But then, I thought I was in a tiny minority with Win8, and look how that turned out.

7. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (31-07-2015),jackvdbuk (04-08-2015),Pob255 (03-08-2015)

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

I wouldn't even call it pretty or slick. TBH I find Windows 10 rather dull to look at. That it is designed for mobile devices above all is clearly evident everywhere you look. Large empty spaces, huge fonts, mostly monochrome colour palettes etc. Ahhh, but I've said all this before...

And then, of course, there are the privacy concerns as Saracen points out. I wonder if Windows 10 Enterprise is different in this regard. Can't see Microsoft take on large corporations. Has anyone seen if there is a specific EULA for Windows 10 Enterprise?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • ste852's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X570-P
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600x
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 750W 80+Platinum
      • Case:
      • Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU
      • Internet:
      • MORE SPEED NEEDED!!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd223 View Post
    tried most of that - rebooted after uninstalling Nvidia everything and there was NO display at all - had to use system restore :-) but I didn't do the Task Manager thing - will try that before I reinstall - thank you
    Hope you have better luck next time, one more thing worth mentioning, if you have more than one monitor connected, disconnect all but 1, I had to do that as well otherwise i had no display on my Monitor since I have a TV connected as well

Registered+
    Thanks
    • kierant's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z87 GRYPHON
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4770k
      • Memory:
      • Avexir MPower Yellow Series 16GB 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 2TB + 500GB + Crucial C300 128GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD7970 DD Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CXM750
      • Case:
      • Corsair Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S22B350 x2
      • Internet:
      • BT Infintity 78Mbps Down 19Mbps Up

Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS View Post
    I had high expectations that the scaling would be solved, unfortunately the case with HiDPI displays such as those on a Dell XPS 13 or dare I say the MacBook, Macbook Pro & iMac 5k you still have small incorrect icons in places and certain apps that don't use the scaling set by the user/windows... Why not borrow some thing out of your competitors book yes Apple which annoyingly have been doing it right for coming upto 5 years now.
    Sleep Is Not My Friend

Crafty Miner
    Thanks
    • Jaffo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H81M-Plus
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790S
      • Memory:
      • Crucial 16GB DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Crucial MX500 SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1660 Super AMP
      • PSU:
      • 500W EVGA 80 PLUS White
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Versa H25
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG M2262DP TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

I'm still running from the preview build on my backup PC, not gone through the whole process of installing it over Win 7/8 yet. Biggest disappointment so far is that Minecraft is x64 only at the moment and I'm running the 32 bit build :/

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    I wouldn't even call it pretty or slick. TBH I find Windows 10 rather dull to look at. That it is designed for mobile devices above all is clearly evident everywhere you look. Large empty spaces, huge fonts, mostly monochrome colour palettes etc. Ahhh, but I've said all this before...

Well, I wouldn't entirely disagree, but that's largely 'eye of the beholder' territory, highly subjective. It's better, in my 'eye' anyway, than Win8. Not that that's saying much.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

1) re - looks: I do my utmost to get as close to the classic Win98 look as possible, which is rather dull. I always set things up for best performance. Dull or pretty, I don't care about. I care about function.
    2) on/off buttons. There are lots of them. Found them all. Used them all where appropriate, and where possible. If it wasn't possible, there's 3rd party firewalls.
    3) Updates - I upgraded from Pro, so the ability to defer is built in. There are multiple ways around it otherwise. Yes, they screwed this one up. Kind of. I believe in the freedom to choose what gets installed. I also know that I just did a repair for an acquaintance that involved, in part, 6 years of updates. Updates that hadn't been made since the machine was purchased. So I see the purpose in this. Because I know there are a lot more people out there that don't update than those that want to control what they update.
    4) Security - much like the lawyer that represents himself, anyone trusting someone else completely for their security is acting foolishly. And the vast majority of people worried about security who aren't being parrots already have a clue about how to protect themselves. Should you have to? Sadly, in this day and age, yes, you do.

As I said before, if you're on Win7, and you're not a gamer, don't update. You get nothing out of it. It should already be a familiar environment for those on 8.1. But when it all comes down, nothing is free - not even free upgrades.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    And then, of course, there are the privacy concerns as Saracen points out. I wonder if Windows 10 Enterprise is different in this regard. Can't see Microsoft take on large corporations. Has anyone seen if there is a specific EULA for Windows 10 Enterprise?
    From what I've read the enterprise edition doesn't have cortana or any modern apps installed/available....

Saracen, what are you on about regarding auto updates, is this windows updates or the 'upgrade', if it's the former then iirc that's only for the home version.

As to windows 10, I'm not in a great rush to upgrade, seems to many issues popping up and there's also issues with privacy (most of which appear to be able to be disabled) that I want to hear more about. This is after all going on the computer I work on and my work requires nda's....

Registered+
    Thanks

I played around with it on a co-workers system. I had high hopes for 10, but was really frustrated trying to navigate and change settings. It feels like they've really kicked decades of Windows users to the curb in order to chase exclusively after the users that jumped ship to OSX.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • thrasir66's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 [Z87]
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-4770K [w/ Enermax Liqtech 120X]
      • Memory:
      • GEIL Evo Leggera 2400/CL11 [32GB]
      • Storage:
      • 1xNVMe [1TB], 2xSSD [1TB], 7xHDD [3TB, CMR]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HIS Radeon HD7850 IceQ X Turbo 2GB [w/ ARCTIC Accelero S1 Plus + S3 Turbo Module]
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i [w/ sleeved cables]
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70B [modified/silenced w/ Enermax T.B. Silence PWM 120/140 Fans]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro. [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Q3279VWFD8 [31.5"/IPS/1440p]
      • Internet:
      • ASUS PCE-AC88 [Wi-Fi Adapter]

I tried the previews in VirtualBox and I liked it, so I tried the upgrade via update in W7 but it doesn't worked maybe corrupted files or what ever after few tries I downloaded the "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool" from Computer Base it took some time but the upgrade worked.
    I had only some minor problems with some drivers but AMD released the 15.7.1 and it worked pretty good. I think some programs and drivers will be updated soon but after all I am pleased and the scaling on my 28"-4k monitor is working now properly.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    From what I've read the enterprise edition doesn't have cortana or any modern apps installed/available....

Saracen, what are you on about regarding auto updates, is this windows updates or the 'upgrade', if it's the former then iirc that's only for the home version.

As to windows 10, I'm not in a great rush to upgrade, seems to many issues popping up and there's also issues with privacy (most of which appear to be able to be disabled) that I want to hear more about. This is after all going on the computer I work on and my work requires nda's....
    Automatic upgrades/patches in the background. There has recently been a tool released, albeit not exactly well-publicised by MS, to defer installation .... but not stop it.

Initially, Home had no control and Pro could delay/defer, but still not prevent. VL Enterprise versions did, IIRC, (and unsurprisingly, if MS want any uptake) have far more control, but most of us don't qualify for Enterprise.

Previously, you could enable or disable updates, and review them, choosing to install some, none (daft, IMHO) or all, and these were 'patches', be it bug-fixes, security updates, or whatever.

Windows 10 however, makes these patches automatic, with POSSIBLY an option to delay. With Home, your choice was reboot now, or install on next boot. And MS have made clear there will be no more major 'version' releases, like Win7, Win10, etc, with major UI and/or feature upgrades but from now on, such changes will be slipstreamed, one or a few at a time, at THEIR convenience, including not just patches/security fixes, but new/revised features.

And by using Win10, the EULA makes it explicitly clear you have agreed to that.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information