Thread: Hands on with Acer's Predator 8 GT-810 gaming tablet

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Hands on with Acer's Predator 8 GT-810 gaming tablet

Is this the first true competitor to Nvidia's Shield?
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Hands on with Acer's Predator 8 GT-810 gaming tablet

That is a pretty damn ugly tablet.

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Still don't understand how you can call it a gaming tablet if it runs Android. The games suck and can be played just as well on my phone or regular tablet. The Nvidia stuff is a bit better with some PC games being playable directly on the PC and many more being streamable.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Looks like it was designed by a 16 year old.

Thanks

Look Alienware-ish to me. Perhaps trying to tap into those users? Honestly, I don't care about the look of a device. If I did I wouldn't be slapping a ZeroLemon battery into my phone. At the same time, I don't think that tablets games are good enough to justify a device for it. If I want a handheld gaming device, I'd stick with Nintendo / Sony. Games may be expensive (until you look at the cost of some of those in-game purchases), but they tend to be so much better.

Thanks
    • ba1atu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock P67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k 4.oGhz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Baked Gigabyte GTX570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Tx650 V2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Core 3000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer H226 bmid

Gaming on android happens. Online games like Game of War, racing games like Asphalt 8, and a lot more. Im not talking about the casual cliques like farmville, candy crush or clash of clans. There are real games among the big pile of copycats. You just have to know where to find them.
    I think a gaming tablet has its own place on the market. The advantages will have to be the big screen (obviously) and good battery life (better than a phones, that has a battery limited by its size).
    I agree. This isnt a hand on, its just news.

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 1x8GB XMS3 1600Mhz CL11
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

Well I'm part of the younger generation, atleast I like to think I am, just barely still being in my teens. I think that thing is pretty ugly, but then I chose a Corsair Carbide 300R for my build and despise LEDs with a passion, preferring a simple and not attention drawing appearance. So maybe I'm of the right age but not the right taste, who knows, either way I won't be buying something that looks like that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    Still don't understand how you can call it a gaming tablet if it runs Android. The games suck and can be played just as well on my phone or regular tablet. The Nvidia stuff is a bit better with some PC games being playable directly on the PC and many more being streamable.
    Clearly you haven't looked at the most recent android games. We are WAY past minecraft crap today. Asphalt 8 airborne, Modern Combat5 Blackout, Frontline Commando WWII, Dungeon Hunter 4 & 5, Wild Blood, Chaos Rings 3 etc etc. Dungeon Hunter 5 looks like an xbox360/ps3 game as do many others. The only thing I hate about much of android is in-app crap, but once far more people have gpu power of say X1 (everyone at 14nm will basically have this soon), I think we'll see more games go with an option to buy outright (no in-app crap) as we all start pumping mobile devices to TV's etc with game pads. There is a pretty massive list of games I'm looking forward to playing when I get time, never mind that they keep adding more monthly. Many of these games are 2GB+ now and as new tech finds more ways to squeeze out even more perf, we'll start getting even bigger assets etc in games. Take a look at Wild Blood (unreal engine) and tell me these games suck...LOL. That game is nearly a year old, can't wait to see this xmas batch of stuff and forward.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftWBHM
    Remember once 14nm is everywhere in the next 6-12mo, there will be at least a BILLION devices with pretty much X1's power at 20nm and we may start seeing devices late next year with HBM2 in them giving them even more tricks (think, pascal based Tegra etc) to get more perf. I'd rarely play on the road/out of the house (unless out to tv in a hotel or something), but at home as an extra way to game in the house on the TV, I'll take it as a great addon to PC that keeps getting better and better yearly. I have no intention of paying $60 a game for xbox1/ps4 (own ps2's, xbox360, but no more consoles for me) ever again. The best part about mobile is, until they have the gpu power to put up awesome graphics (or something like xbox1/ps4 anyway), they MUST make a game FUN and I'm all for that. I have the PC for glitz/glamour and HUGE games, but mobile is constantly showing some really FUN games. I can't wait to see NV's 14nm xmas devices (next nexus tablet probably has one for Nov too) and all of it's competition. Unreal4/unity5 etc games will be aimed at these next xmas most likely and I can't wait. Vulkan will massively boost mobile games too (so easy to port to anywhere), and will be included in all game engines next year at some point. That's not to say I don't like PC gaming (ROFL, of course), but mobile is gaining some great stuff too. Great times ahead as the audience with top end stuff grows (compared to today, 1B units will probably be faster at 14nm than top end 20nm) and devs just start shooting higher across the board.

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

I think if they want to be serious competition to the shield tablet then they need to include a proper controller, although 64gb storage built in is also a good start. Also if they could stream games from PC that'd be a big winner.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    I was going to reply with the slapdown that a dumb statement like the ones above deserve, but "ba1atu" and "nobodyspecial" pretty much said all that can be. If you're expecting a PC style "experience" on something with a fraction of the resources then you're hunting the impossible dream.

Actually, I'm probably being a bit hard on you there, because I can't really see how - force feedback excepted - Acer have the gall to tout this as a "gaming tablet" either. Shield IS worthy because of the extra battery and various peripherals, none of which seem to be present here. And of course the GRiD streaming service (if you can use it).

I'm going to disagree with Parm on one thing - that a Windows version of Predator would be more desirable. No it wouldn't since the limitations of that tablet would mean that even if you could get a Wintel game to run on it, it'd be so lousy as to be unplayable. Yes, I know there's game streaming, but I've never heard of anyone with a good streaming experience outside of private Wifi coverage.

As to the styling of Predator - hmm, "interesting", I think it's a Marmite design. I think it looks quite in keeping with other game-specific stuff like cases and mice, but I wouldn't be ashamed to have one of those tablets. However, being Acer, I'm sure it'll be fragile...

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Lord Midas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 9700k w/ Corsair H100i Hydro PRO RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 8GB x 2
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 + 2TB Intel 660p NVMe M.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RTX 2080 TURBO 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM88 Ultrawide 34" - 3440x1440
      • Internet:
      • Virgin - Speakers: Pair of Adam T5V

I'll stick to my Surface Pro 2 thanks.
    This does indeed look ghastly. You want to game on the go then you need Windows 10, and Skylake. Bring on the Surface Pro 4.
    Kickstarters Pledged:
    Godus Stonehearth Rain World Satellite Reign

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Midas View Post
    You want to game on the go then you need Windows 10, and Skylake. Bring on the Surface Pro 4.
    No, just no.

I think the many, many, many folks who are happy with their PSPs and DS's would disagree vehemently. Plus the legions of iPad and Android-tablet gamers would also not be happy with your statement.

Then there's all the folks - like Saracen - who have reservations about Windows10. Plus the free-software advocates who regard Windows itself as the spawn of Satan.

Oh, and it's okay for you rich guys who can afford to schlepp around with a ~£600 indulgence. Some of us would have to scrimp and save for a PSP. Plus, as has been said above, there's some pretty decent "full on" games on Android and iOS these days. Okay, not as pretty as the AAA titles on a PC, but I'd like to see you run those on your SP4 with the eye candy on. That said, if you can afford it then the Surface Pro's are pretty nice compromise boxes - more portable than low-end laptops, while still being able to run most of the desktop software unlike the majority of tablets.

Yes, I know, I'm in a bad mood today but this "if it ain't on Windows PC then it sukz" attitude is really hacking me off...

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

To be honest the Shield Tablet can run Reicast and EPSXE pretty much perfectly (as well as MAME, PSP, SNES, MD etc obviously), which gives you access to the the entire PS1 and Dreamcast catalogue of games. This means you don't have to get mired in first person shooters. I hooked my Shield tablet up to our 60 inch telly yesterday and spent a happy couple of hours introducing my 8 year old to Wipeout 2097, Einhander, R-Type Delta and Soul Calibur.

Haven't tried the grid gaming as we've only got 5Ghz G wifi in the house, and I can't imagine that's going to be quick enough for streaming? Even if the PC is connected via gigabit ethernet...

I've had a lot of tablets (Nexus 7, HTC Flyer, ASUS Transformer PAD, Nook HD/HD+, Lenovo Miix 2, etc) but the Shield is definitely the best of the lot IMHO.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by daddacool View Post
    To be honest the Shield Tablet can run Reicast and EPSXE pretty much perfectly (as well as MAME, PSP, SNES, MD etc obviously), which gives you access to the the entire PS1 and Dreamcast catalogue of games. This means you don't have to get mired in first person shooters. I hooked my Shield tablet up to our 60 inch telly yesterday and spent a happy couple of hours introducing my 8 year old to Wipeout 2097, Einhander, R-Type Delta and Soul Calibur.

Haven't tried the grid gaming as we've only got 5Ghz G wifi in the house, and I can't imagine that's going to be quick enough for streaming? Even if the PC is connected via gigabit ethernet...

I've had a lot of tablets (Nexus 7, HTC Flyer, ASUS Transformer PAD, Nook HD/HD+, Lenovo Miix 2, etc) but the Shield is definitely the best of the lot IMHO.
    From what I've seen a G WLAN should be good enough to stream - especially if there's minimum signal contention. Grab a copy of "Wifi Analyzer" from the Play store (farproc's version) and check out what the signal "landscape" looks like. Heck I seem to remember that the gen was that streaming should work over a 4G signal and surely 11g should be just as good in practice?

Nice collection of tablets - got an Asus T'former myself (slow as heck now since it's only Tegra2) and quite liked it. Current "gaming" tablet is a Lenovo Yoga2-8 - although the screen on the (similarly priced) Lenovo S8 tablets is better. Apologies for the inadvertent Lenovo advert. I'd forgotten about the emulator scene - maybe a chance to reacquaint myself with some classics from my misspent youth...

Thanks

It looks ugly as hell, but worse, it's from Acer. Which - unlike Nvidia (who have been pretty on the ball) - means it will receive Android version updates sometime between never and the heat death of the universe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    From what I've seen a G WLAN should be good enough to stream - especially if there's minimum signal contention. Grab a copy of "Wifi Analyzer" from the Play store (farproc's version) and check out what the signal "landscape" looks like. Heck I seem to remember that the gen was that streaming should work over a 4G signal and surely 11g should be just as good in practice?

Nice collection of tablets - got an Asus T'former myself (slow as heck now since it's only Tegra2) and quite liked it. Current "gaming" tablet is a Lenovo Yoga2-8 - although the screen on the (similarly priced) Lenovo S8 tablets is better. Apologies for the inadvertent Lenovo advert. I'd forgotten about the emulator scene - maybe a chance to reacquaint myself with some classics from my misspent youth...
    Cheers, I'll give it a go. One of the reasons I've not bothered is I have an i3 Brix set up on our main telly for Steam Home Streaming, so I've not really needed to but I suppose it would be nice to know if I could.

If you pick the right PS1/DC games you'll be in for some great fun. Currently reliving my post graduation days with Fighting Vipers 2, Soul Calibur, Rival Schools, Star Gladiator, Rage Racer, Einhander and a load more. It's easier than hooking either of the physical consoles up to the telly as it's wall mounted and the ports are a faff to get to

Thread Information