Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus launched

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Apple iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus launched

Faster A9 processor, upgraded cameras and 3D Touch are the main new features.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Apple iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus launched

Looks fine kinda numb to iphones now, howerver 649 for what is almost a 720 p screen, please

Thanks

All as expected then, just a small spec bump. I do wish they'd announce something with a smaller screen but better than the 5S though.

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

and still as thin as can be and a battery life that will last half a day. When will smartphone makers realise, most smartphone users want a phone that can last a whole day without needing charged and not one that will bend when you put it in your pocket. Give us fat phones with 5000mha batterys in them ( well give me one at least )
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Thanks
    • flearider's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asrock taichi x370
      • CPU:
      • ryzen 1700@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb gskill flare cl14 3200
      • Storage:
      • 500mb 850 evo + 1tb hd space
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gigabyte r9 290
      • PSU:
      • evga 850
      • Case:
      • LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red 2xtripple 1xquad rads
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • toshiba 32"
      • Internet:
      • 65 d/30 up ee

i'd rather pay £250 for an honor 7 full 1080 . but hey i'm not a fan boi
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....

Thanks

High end mobile product prices are just getting silly now, when will people realise they don't need phones that cost this much just to take instagram/facebook photo of their food and 'today's clothes' ....lets be real thats what 90% of apple users seem to use their phones for.

But hey at least you can now get a pink, sorry rose gold, iphone.... I wonder if we'll get a blue iPhone 7, it's a bit discriminatory to not do a gender specific colour for men .

Thanks

Another significant announcement tonight was that of the iPhone Upgrade Program where US residents can get a new iPhone every year with contracts via Apple Stores from $32.21 per month upwards.
    This sounds interesting. I hate 24 month contracts.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by deejayburnout View Post
    and still as thin as can be and a battery life that will last half a day. When will smartphone makers realise, most smartphone users want a phone that can last a whole day without needing charged and not one that will bend when you put it in your pocket. Give us fat phones with 5000mha batterys in them ( well give me one at least )
    5Ah? Blimey, you must be on the phone a *lot*
    The Moto Play X comes with 3630mAh, I'm sure I've seen others up around 4Ah range.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    High end mobile product prices are just getting silly now, when will people realise they don't need phones that cost this much just to take instagram/facebook photo of their food and 'today's clothes' ....lets be real thats what 90% of apple users seem to use their phones for.

But hey at least you can now get a pink, sorry rose gold, iphone.... I wonder if we'll get a blue iPhone 7, it's a bit discriminatory to not do a gender specific colour for men .
    Just corrected that first paragraph, although it is a sweeping generalisation. For many users a mobile phone (of whatever persuasion) is an essential business tool.

And rose pink being gender specific, a bit stereotypical

However,mon a more serious note, the launch of the new series makes the 5s and the 6 a more affordable proposition.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

3D Touch is just a gimmick for Apple fanboys to molest their iPhones in even more ways.

I wish Apple gave even a small amount of informationabout specifications in these presentations.
    Last edited by peterb; 10-09-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Clarity and remove swear filter

Banned
    Thanks

Obviously performance near to to a low end i3 doesn't interest anyone.

It's in a phone FFS. Surely that is amazing.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by deejayburnout View Post
    +1 on this. Although if you've got a current device then you can always slap a zerolemon case on it - fancy an iPhone6 with a 4600mAh battery? I'd actually been seriously thinking about one of their battery/case combos for my G3 (having to hunt for a 4G signal really slaughters the battery life), although in that case the Bauhaus style case also gives you an 8500mAh battery!
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Just corrected that first paragraph, although it is a sweeping generalisation. For many users a mobile phone (of whatever persuasion) is an essential business tool.
    Curiosity got the better of me - are there loads of people for whom a smartphone is that "essential business tool"? From what little I've seen, it's more a case of the old trio of phone, text and calendar with emails now starting to overtake texts. Which really don't need anything more than a basic (sub £100) smartie... (Then again my personal phone was one of last years high-end ones, so maybe I'm being hypocritical).
    Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    Obviously performance near to to a low end i3 doesn't interest anyone.
    It's in a phone FFS. Surely that is amazing.
    Yes, but it this a unique thing to Apple? From what little I've seen the latest gen of chips from other manufacturers (e.g. Qualcomm 820) are similarly powerful, if not more.

Being a bit of a killjoy leads me to wonder if the processor power "arms race" is more to do with a lack of interest in optimising the OS and hence having to throw more powerful hardware at the problem as a solution. That said, I'm of the opinion that iOS is (far?) better optimised than Android, although Windows Phone 7 always struck me as being pretty slick.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Other than the force touch, it's stuff Android's had for years. Don't want to start another Apple v Android argument, but for Apple this isn't innovation, it's playing catch-up!

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    +1 on this. Although if you've got a current device then you can always slap a zerolemon case on it - fancy an iPhone6 with a 4600mAh battery? I'd actually been seriously thinking about one of their battery/case combos for my G3 (having to hunt for a 4G signal really slaughters the battery life), although in that case the Bauhaus style case also gives you an 8500mAh battery!

Curiosity got the better of me - are there loads of people for whom a smartphone is that "essential business tool"? From what little I've seen, it's more a case of the old trio of phone, text and calendar with emails now starting to overtake texts. Which really don't need anything more than a basic (sub £100) smartie... (Then again my personal phone was one of last years high-end ones, so maybe I'm being hypocritical).

Yes, but it this a unique thing to Apple? From what little I've seen the latest gen of chips from other manufacturers (e.g. Qualcomm 820) are similarly powerful, if not more.

Being a bit of a killjoy leads me to wonder if the processor power "arms race" is more to do with a lack of interest in optimising the OS and hence having to throw more powerful hardware at the problem as a solution. That said, I'm of the opinion that iOS is (far?) better optimised than Android, although Windows Phone 7 always struck me as being pretty slick.
    Communication is pretty essential, but you are right in that communication, whether it is voice, text or e mail and calendars/to do lists are the main business uses for most people, although with the larger screen format, accessing documents and custom applications have their place. The application I miss miss most on Android is iMessaging, although WhatsApp is reasonable good on a phone, but doesn't run on iPads, or give the replication on all devices.

But for smartphones, as I have said before, I think it is more about the infrastructure that you are getting more than the device itself. The Apple one is good in that it gives you pretty much a seemless transition between devices. Googles is OK, with Google docs and calendar - although I tend to distrust Google as its business model seems built on personal data mining for targeted advertising. More so than Apple.

As for Microsoft, I don't have any experience of theirs, or intend to on a personal level. Corporate wise, Sharepoint seemed OK, and if that extends to their phone products, that may be a deal breaker for the corporate world, depending on how closed it is.

But at the £400 mark, there isn't much to choose between an Apple phone or an Android, and if you are buying Android, there isn't much point in spending over £150 IMHO.

As for me, although I'm learning to like my Android phone, a bit of me wishes I'd waited until now and picked up either a 5s or a6 now that the prices have dropped. Never mind, though, When I come to change it in maybe 5 years time, the landscape may be very different!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

15. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (10-09-2015)

Thanks

To be fair unless you're using secure servers etc most of teh things you listed can be done with a modern candybar phone although obvious it won't be as pretty or as easy to sync in most cases. A smartphone is a better proposition in business but you don't need a high end phone (in the same way you don't need an iPad for a tablet), you can get away with bottom of the line android or windows phones and still manage email/text/calendars etc.

The only real reason you need a high end phone is arguably the better camera (see point I made earlier ) or you use your phone for gaming on the go, even a low end smartphone can manage movie playback etc.

Thanks

Apple have kept the same core components like audio dacs etc. and have far fewer devices to maintain which is why iOS is better optomised. This is also why audio latency is so much better! Throw in the fragmentation of Android versions and that's the main problem. Winphones are equally as small in numbers....
    However to be fair it works both ways - I prefer the flexibility of Android
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information