Thread: AMD claws back discrete graphics market share

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD claws back discrete graphics market share

Analysts say that AMD has gained ground at the $200 and $400 price points.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • nitro912gr's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II x6 1090T
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB Kingstone Beast 2133Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 640GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon 7850 DD 1GB
      • PSU:
      • XFX ProSeries 450W Core Edition
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster N300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2313HM

Re: AMD claws back discrete graphics market share

I wonder how AMD will do now, the 3XX while they are rebrands they are still good cards for their money and the dx12 support will give them a good selling point (before pascal is out at least).

Also I want to see what is going on with the fury line because I haven't seen much availability and seems like a wasted opportunity since they can perform pretty nice for the price.

Registered+
    Thanks

Well, I hope so, I'm buying a whole new PC with an R9 390 and I don't want to be left with a GPU from a dying company.

I'd go for a R9 390X, but over $100 premium for extra 10% performance, which, if I'm lucky, I'll get from overclocking, wouldn't be money well spent. And even if I get a poorly overclocking unit, it'll still be a decent performer. Maybe I'll even add a second one at the end of the year...

Thanks

I think that AMD suffer from the "old tech, rebranded" train of thought (amongst those who have some knowledge of graphics), whereas nVidia can seem to be new tech developers.
    Most folk though have absolutely no idea or actual interest in graphics, as long as their devices perform to the level they want. Bigger numbers impress though, so a salesperson/flyer saying graphics XXXX is 4GB while xx is only 2GB can help garner a sale.

Thanks
    • anselhelm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 2x16GiB Crucial 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 1x WD Gold 10TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 2070 Super w/ Morpheus II
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • MSI OPTIX MAG272QR
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Personally my ageing HD 6950 2GB (with unlocked pipes) is still playing all my games fine in fine detail up to the max resolution on my monitor of 1200P.

I'm holding off 'til at least the Rx 4xx series and hoping AMD finally puts rebranding to bed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Myss_tree View Post
    I think that AMD suffer from the "old tech, rebranded" train of thought (amongst those who have some knowledge of graphics)
    Let's not forget how various 9800 were rebranded 8800. And that even the GTX was 9800GTX+

My guess is that it is not really the goal of either company to rebrand over and over, but it is a delay tactic when for one reason or another, they could not get their next big thing in the market on time. Missing even one product cycle can prove fatal to a company (re: 3DFX).

Registered+
    Thanks
    • cokker's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 GPC A/C
      • CPU:
      • AMD R7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Adata Spectrix D60G 3000 @ 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD / 512GB NVME / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD RX 5700 XT Reference
      • PSU:
      • Super Flower Leadex 3 650W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks P350x
      • Operating System:
      • Microshaft Winhoes 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama ProLite XUB3493WQSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • Yes Down / Yes Up

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Let's not forget how various 9800 were rebranded 8800. And that even the GTX was 9800GTX+
    And the GTS 250.

Even the GT 720M is still a Fermi GPU...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    My guess is that it is not really the goal of either company to rebrand over and over, but it is a delay tactic when for one reason or another, they could not get their next big thing in the market on time. Missing even one product cycle can prove fatal to a company (re: 3DFX).
    It about design costs. Why redesign a card when you are already producing one that fills a gap and over time that card gets cheaper and cheaper to produce?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

I don't really care about rebranding, staying on the bleeding edge of graphics cards technology is a fool's game. New technologies need a lot of time to get into games, by the time those technologies actually get used the graphics cards they debuted on can't even run them well. Give me memory bandwidth and TFLOPS, that is value in hand and it keeps the GPU relevant for a longer time.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I think there're two aspects to the rebrand cycle.

One is that it can look bad for a company to have a mix of "generations" in their catalogue: so AMD *could* have just released an R9 290X and left the rest of their cards in retail as 7000 series. The problem is once you've got a new card with a new "generation" of naming, it makes the other cards look old and out of date - particularly to the everyday consumer (you know, the ones who think *any* graphics card with 4GB of RAM is a good buy!). So you *need* to rebrand if you don't have a full roster of parts to fill the market.

The other is the demand of big box OEMs: they like to refresh their range every year and they like their new generation of desktops and laptops to have new generation *everything* in them. So there's a real driver for an annual release of some kind, which often doesn't fit with the technology cycles in GPU development. So nvidia and AMD have the option of rebranding or risking those OEM design wins. There was an entire Radeon 8000 series of GPUs that were never sold at retail, because they were specifically branded for OEM system integrators to feel like they were putting new tech in their new computers.

I suspect the reason we never saw Oland-based retail 7000 series cards was because AMD wanted *something* new to release to retail under the R7 brand when it came time: so the R7 240 and 250 were genuinely new parts to the AMD desktop retail product stack. As with all companies, AMD's strategy has to be driven by market forces. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't rebrand if they didn't think they had to, and the PC market has been pushed so far towards the consumer electronics market over the last 5 years or so that it's no surprise that product refresh cycles are having to be forced where they don't fit naturally....

Thread Information