Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 32

Thread: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,820
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,864 times in 637 posts

    BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    Move is expected to kick off a game of IP whack-a-mole with VPN service providers.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    Earlier this year the BBC closed down an international version of iPlayer which allowed overseas users to view content for a small fee.
    Would have made a lot more sense blocking VPN services before they closed this down.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,357
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    67 times in 59 posts

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimano View Post
    Would have made a lot more sense blocking VPN services before they closed this down.
    this is the bbc... they don't know how to manage anything because they've never had to worry over money due to the tv license.

    Common sense would have been to do a 'worldwide' subscription service with a regional lockdown like you say... they could have made it so it was region unlocked to those who pay a UK tv license and live primarily in the UK (you might want to watch Eastenders while on holiday) by adding a code to the tv license or something similar. To be fair though I'm actually struggling to think of anything I watch that's on the bbc these days....

    Mind you I hate region locks and other geographical restrictions such as delays in other countries with a passion, they're just an antiquated system that media companies are still hanging on to while constantly complaining about piracy which is 'largely' due to these restrictions and 'communities' no longer being regionally restricted....

  4. #4
    Ryzen Master race outwar6010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Londinium
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked
    228 times in 150 posts
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    What a d*** move
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."


  5. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    • Ishi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SM951 256GB M.2-2280 NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone GD09B HTPC
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    They're playing Hopscotch but they're several turns behind. The winners will be specialised VPN services that won't be so easy to trace.

    Also, it appears that you're no longer British if you're on holiday or working overseas (but still paying license fees).

  6. Received thanks from:

    D-T (20-10-2015)

  7. #6
    Super Nerd
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,785
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    105 times in 72 posts

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    Quote Originally Posted by outwar6010 View Post
    What a d*** move
    Here in the UK we pay a licence fee - i.e. we PAID for the content whether we liked it or not.

    Foreign users did not pay the licence fee so the BBC allowing them to view iPlayer content for free is rather like Sky letting anyone use Sky Player for free. It's not a "d*** move" at all, it's simply insisting people contribute their fair share to the costs of producing entertainment they enjoy, sadly in today's world there are plenty of people who make the "d*** move" of thinking they are entitled to have whatever they want to watch for free. Unfortunately because of those people the BBC are trying to close a loophole which may have the collateral effect of limiting a very small number of legitimate UK licence payers but fact is 99.9% of legitimate users are not using a VPN to watch iPlayer.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,931
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked
    362 times in 252 posts

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    this is the bbc... they don't know how to manage anything because they've never had to worry over money due to the tv license.
    Yea it's not like they regularly have to justify what they spend our money on...Ohh wait...
    As much as you either like or dislike the BBC i can't think of any other media service that compares in terms of price vs content.

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,357
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    67 times in 59 posts

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Yea it's not like they regularly have to justify what they spend our money on...Ohh wait...
    and the last time they actually had anything done other than a verbal telling off over 'high wages' was.... and don't forget their latest request for more cash under the premise of 'digital programs' etc

    As much as you either like or dislike the BBC i can't think of any other media service that compares in terms of price vs content.
    To be fair a high percentage of the bbc broadcasting these days is repeats so you could easily compare them to itv or channel 5, they may not make all the content (to be fair the bbc outsources a lot too) but they show as much if not more 'original' content as the bbc. It's also not so much about how much they make but what they show on tv because it's not exactly great these days, same rubbish in things like eastenders (even down to old cast returning) while new things like Dr Who has turned into a joke (and I love sci fi stuff) and Poldark (one of their latest 'hits') seems to be aimed at bored housewives. Even my nan in her 80's doesn't seem to watch the bbc anymore....

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    10 times in 9 posts

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    A BBC spokesman:

    “These figures simply aren’t plausible. All our evidence shows the vast majority of BBC iPlayer usage is in the UK. BBC iPlayer and the content on it is paid for by UK licence fee payers in the UK and we take appropriate steps to protect access to this content.”

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    808
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    35 times in 27 posts
    • rob4001's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z97
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1231 v3
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980
      • PSU:
      • Sliverstone 500w SFX-L
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG13 mitx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Comcast 75MB

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    Also all the sport has left the bbc cricket, golf etc so there really isn't all that much left on there they are rapidly becoming irrelevant. Yes they make the odd good documentary and wildlife programmes but not much else.

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,931
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked
    362 times in 252 posts

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    and the last time they actually had anything done other than a verbal telling off over 'high wages' was.... and don't forget their latest request for more cash under the premise of 'digital programs' etc
    Well it seems a bit silly to fine them like we do with the train companies, the money only comes from one place after all.
    Personally i would either restrict the wages or directly fine the execs for wrong doings, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    To be fair a high percentage of the bbc broadcasting these days is repeats so you could easily compare them to itv or channel 5, they may not make all the content (to be fair the bbc outsources a lot too) but they show as much if not more 'original' content as the bbc. It's also not so much about how much they make but what they show on tv because it's not exactly great these days, same rubbish in things like eastenders (even down to old cast returning) while new things like Dr Who has turned into a joke (and I love sci fi stuff) and Poldark (one of their latest 'hits') seems to be aimed at bored housewives. Even my nan in her 80's doesn't seem to watch the bbc anymore....
    Fair enough, obviously how people view (no pun intended) the BBC is very subjective, personally i watch/listen/read a lot of BBC content so personally think the £10 odd a month is well worth the money.

  13. #12
    Ryzen Master race outwar6010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Londinium
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked
    228 times in 150 posts
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by outwar6010 View Post
    What a d*** move
    Here in the UK we pay a licence fee - i.e. we PAID for the content whether we liked it or not.

    Foreign users did not pay the licence fee so the BBC allowing them to view iPlayer content for free is rather like Sky letting anyone use Sky Player for free. It's not a "d*** move" at all, it's simply insisting people contribute their fair share to the costs of producing entertainment they enjoy, sadly in today's world there are plenty of people who make the "d*** move" of thinking they are entitled to have whatever they want to watch for free. Unfortunately because of those people the BBC are trying to close a loophole which may have the collateral effect of limiting a very small number of legitimate UK licence payers but fact is 99.9% of legitimate users are not using a VPN to watch iPlayer.
    As someone who lives in the uk I feel it is a d*** move. The content was paid for by us and it shouldn't really be a big deal if people want to stream it from abroad. Hell even content we download is unusable after a month or so. So what's the point?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."


  14. Received thanks from:

    Plasmastorm (19-10-2015)

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    14 times in 12 posts

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    Well this all started a year or so back when they realized they had a good service.
    So naturally they have to balls it up as much as they can

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    14 times in 12 posts

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    Also forgot to mention that any comment about UK folks paying a license and so only they get access is total crap. You DO NOT need a TV license to access the iPlayer. At least not the non-live shows on it.

    However that is set to change in the next few years. currently a license is only required for view of live streams. It's getting changed to cover non live streaming of digital content however.

  17. #15
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    i don't about everyone else but stopped watching tv many years ago and i don't pay tv license. that's not to say i don't watch serials like game of thrones etc but there is nothing that interests me on bbc . like mentioned earlier all the decent sport has gone and you can normally purchase streaming subscriptions for btsport and the others.
    oh and bbc news is the most bias crap i have ever seen

  18. #16
    Alien Symbiote Sumanji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    1,948
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked
    49 times in 31 posts
    • Sumanji's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB G.Skill TridentZ C14 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire RX Vega 64
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C TG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus XG35VQ 35" (3440x1440 @100Hz)
      • Internet:
      • Comcast Xfinity Blast (250 / 10)

    Re: BBC iPlayer starts to block UK VPN server access

    I don't understand why they haven't implemented fixed logins for iPlayer, in the same way that Sky have for Sky Go. Surely that would go a long way to ensure that only people with valid TV licences (i.e. living in the UK) have access to the content?

    But for expats and internationals wanting access, it seems stupid not to make a paid subscription available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •