Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: QOTW: Do you still buy physical media?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

QOTW: Do you still buy physical media?

Be it for games, movies, music or software?
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Re: QOTW: Do you still buy physical media?

I have kept a few DVDs, especially the collectors box set ones.
    I have kept all my CDs and vinyl, along with a few cassettes, and continue to get CDs where available, as so many in my collection are autographed personally.
    I still have lots of books, because I'm just like that.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • neepheid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Corsair MP510 NVMe SSD, 512GB HDD, 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY XLR8 GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SST-SX500-LG 500W SFX-L 80Plus Gold
      • Case:
      • Jonsbo T8
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 500MBit/s FTTP

Gee, not for a while now. Spotify for music, streaming for films/"box" sets. Haven't bought blank media for ages either.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yes, sometimes. For day to day movie viewing, streaming is great but there is a lot of stuff not available to stream and in any case, if it's something I want to keep I will buy physical media, rip it for convenience and store the disc. We still have a disc drive in the PC for ripping and a Blu Ray player connected to the TV.

Thanks

Movies/Music yes (for the most part). Games, PC no (been no point for many a year now), Consoles yes I buy mainly physical.

Old Geezer
    Thanks

I sold all my vinyl when I switched to CDs in the late 80s. I still buy all my music on CD, I like having a hard copy and rip them to PC to play through my DAC/headphone amp. As for streaming, rarely stream music, sometimes watch old TV programmes on Britbox. Do have some, very old, DVDs but, not sure why we haven't got rid of them, as we have no means to watch them on the TV and never watch them on the PCs.

Thanks

Yes, DVD's and Blu-rays. At least I own them... even though I have streaming services, can't rely on them to have what I like there permanently. Plus quality vs streaming is often better, especially if the internet lags as it seems to be doing more and more often for me these days (even though I pay a premium for it!).

Games on the other hand, I'm pretty much digital now, but only play on the PC these days. But if I did get a console again, I'd probably prefer the disc copy... I still have my 360 disc for Too Human, one that was pretty much banned from being sold due to the lawsuit.
    Also not a fan of digital subscriptions for games, like EA Access etc.... I prefer to own my digital game, so that I can play it whenever I want. Plus I usually want to play the game close to when the subscription runs out... and it's a 60hour+ game!

Books, I have got digital books and graphic novels, but I still prefer to read the physical product. Not a fan of e-books, something about having a book in my hand just feels right. I stare on screens enough during the day, don't want to stare at a screen to read a book as well.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

Thanks

For PS4 games, yes, always physical.

Music - no, Spotify (pending me reading about the new privacy changes they are making)
    Films/Tv - All streaming services now unless I REEEEALY like the film in which case Blu-Ray.

For me it's to do with how replayable/watchable things are, I've a large DVD collection just gathering dust :/

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

Yes and it warranted my but of a corsair r110 case (honestly guys do not buy that case....it's put me off corsair cases for ever now )

But the convenience to throw in a dvd disc and watch a movie or burn a back up etc, I know people mainly use thumb drives now but after god knows how many years of saving stuff ...I need a dvd drive weather this is a 5 1/4 one internal or a portable one, simply because i have about 5000 dvds with god knows what on half of them

Thanks
    • Euphonium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 3900X
      • Memory:
      • 2x16Gb Corsair DDR4-3200
      • Storage:
      • Saberent Rocket PCIe4 1TB, Crucial MX500 2TB. SanDisk 960GB SATA SSD, 6x4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus GX 750W, 80Plus Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • Win10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x24" (1910x1080), 2x23" (1920x1080), 1x19" (1440x900)

I buy music on CD, and will always prefer physical media because you can't take a download to a gig and get it signed by the band :-D
    Also, streaming royalties for all but the biggest bands are so low as to be almost meaningless, so I buy CDs direct from bands whereever possible.

I prefer to buy movies & TV shows on physical media as well, even though I rip them to my NASbox for actual playback most of the time.

If I could, I'd buy games on physical media too. Since that's impractical for PC games, I try to buy from GoG so that I can download and keep my own copy of the installer files.

Basically, I want to *own* my media, not license or stream it. I don't want to have to be subscribed to a dozen different platforms to make sure I've got access to everything I want, I don't want to have to worry about my favourite media being dropped by a streaming service, and most of all I don't want to be dependant on an internet connection for access to my media.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonium View Post

Basically, I want to *own* my media, not license or stream it. I don't want to have to be subscribed to a dozen different platforms to make sure I've got access to everything I want, I don't want to have to worry about my favourite media being dropped by a streaming service, and most of all I don't want to be dependant on an internet connection for access to my media.
    Exactly that.

Thanks

Nope not really. Bandcamp music which I buy is often not mainstream so no physical media exists. Can't remember the last time I bought a CD/DVD. Streaming is perfect for us here as we have no way to watch video past 1080p as our system is only capable with that and won't be upgraded to 4k for at least 5 years (it's driven by a surround sound system and the output is a projector so 4k is really not cost effective)
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Games - Yes.
    Although most are digital as a result of being on PC, given how digital distribution is these days. Physical are more likely to be console games, particularly for consoles from earlier generations.

Books - No.
    I prefer digital for that. Especially with the frequent DRM-Free book bundles offered by Humble Bundle (but I do also purchase Kindle versions of - unrelated to the any of those included in Humble Bundles - various books from Amazon).

TV/Films - Yes.
    In fact I prefer it, as I'm much more likely to re-watch my favourite shows and films, and I don't want to end up being stuck trying to find it on a particular streaming service or finding it has been removed from a VOD provider despite the digital purchase, due to the rights expiring for that provider.

Music - Yes.
    For the same reason as TV/Films. I do still make digital purchases however, as sometimes they simply aren't available in physical format, are cheap enough that I'm hopeful enough that the purchased download (which have been DRM-Free for years now) won't get corrupted and need re-doing, or happen to be included in Humble Bundles/Steam purchases (usually those are game soundtracks of course), but I still prefer physical. CD only though, I've got no interest in messing about with Vinyl (or even Cassette).

Software - No.
    These days most of it tends to be digital download only anyway, which combined with the fact that you (in theory at least) always want to be on the latest version of the software, means the token option of a CD/DVD version that a small few offer, makes the additional fee seem pointless or inflated. Plus software providers rarely restrict the number of downloads, as they know an installation file may be needed to be grabbed again, especially when you consider the cloud route a number of them have gone, such as Adobe. For the most part however, I try to choose Open Source (or Freeware at the very least) applications as much as possible.
    Last edited by Output; 29-01-2021 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added Open Source/Freeware software choice preference.

Thanks

Also a downside about streaming service is when they decide to remove a show I was watching "due to licencing agreement". This has on several occasions had me binging the show in order to watch the whole thing before it leaves the service. Ruins the enjoyment, but I needed to see what was happening on the show!
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

Thanks

Many years ago i sold all my 45rpm vinyl singles and all my vinyl albums for next to nothing, switching to cd’s. Who knew that vinyl would make a comeback and some of that vinyl i sold is now tens of pounds to buy and some even more so i am loathe to offload any cd’s, dvd,s and blu-rays as who knows what may happen in the future.
    Of course Betamax , VHS, laserdisc, minidisc, cassettes, 8 track have not made a massive comeback.
    I still cannot quite get my head round not having a physical copy of something so cannot see me moving to complete streaming.
    It just seems wrong to be paying to listen to your music with a monthly fee though with the amount of advertising on the radio its tempting to have the like of Spotify.
    Just wish the BBC would go to a streaming service.

Thanks

Of course as I also do a lot of work on livestreams and livestreaming services (technical and artistic) it would be kinda silly of me to be talking about physical copies of stuff....
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information