Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: QOTW: Which tech do you boycott?

Thanks
    • malculator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASROCK X470 Taichi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3900XT
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Patriot DDR4 3200 MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSD + 2 x (2TB Crucial MX500 SSD)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750 V2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27UM67 27" 4K IPS Freesync
      • Internet:
      • 200Mbps Virgin Media cable

Re: QOTW: Which tech do you boycott?

Another Apple avoider here. I find their iPhones too costly and too restrictive and their iMacs just too costly. Furthermore, I don't do Facebook either. If I want to contact someone I'll email, phone, text, or just visit them instead.

Thanks

i don't really boycott anything. if i like something and can afford it then i may buy it, if i don't like it then i probably won't buy it unless i really need it and there's not a more appropriate alternative. i don't avoid things for moralistic reasons as if you wanted to do that rationally you would need to consider the same morals for all companies and you would encounter issues in that getting full and accurate information about each company to make such a decision would be unrealistic. so you may hear this or that company does this and that and avoid them and use another company that does the same or similar things, but you just haven't heard about it. companies are typically there to make a profit and many will do things that some may object to, but it's just not widely known. so you avoid company A and buy from company B because you heard what company A did, but company B could be worse and you didn't know it

the only thing i do avoid is online banking for personal use. i use it for business as i have to, but it's not my money. the reason i avoid it is simply because i don't trust systems yet, we do hear about bank hacks and people being scammed, and the banks haven't done enough to resolve the issue of phishing and email and internet scams. i get regular emails from banks, and many many more in my spam folder, and i know they are all false because i don't do online banking, but at times they can look convincing and make me think twice and wonder if it is really my bank. i'm also concerned that if i had a virus or spyware that my account could be compromised. i've been using online banking at work going way back to the 80s with this dialup thing that looked like ceefax, and generally pretty interested in technology and gadgets and improving life with them, occasionally with the latest stuff, but usually avoiding stuff unless it's fully baked, and i think virtual reality is one of these things that's nowhere near ready or realistic, and banking still has somewhere to go in regards to security. perhaps it could be something based on biometric technology, but it needs to be simple to use and convenient. i prefer to use telephone banking as i speak to a human, calls and details are recorded and i can clarify in plain english before they proceed, and there's a human in the middle to blame if things go wrong, rather than myself being responsible whether i make an error or it's the pc/software or a hacker that's done it

Registered+
    Thanks

Anything Apple!

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Anything Palit have made.

I bought an 8800GT from them, back in the day, which made a god-awful scream up whenever it was turned on. (This is the way it was designed and released!)
    Wouldn't trust them ever again after that.

Crafty Miner
    Thanks
    • Jaffo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H81M-Plus
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790S
      • Memory:
      • Crucial 16GB DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Crucial MX500 SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1660 Super AMP
      • PSU:
      • 500W EVGA 80 PLUS White
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Versa H25
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG M2262DP TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Atari, because of their IP trolling of Jeff Minter. Fortunately, they haven't produced anything decent for years, so it's not like I'm missing out!

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

I wouldn't go as far as saying boycotting something. I try to avaoid certain things by all means, I never bought an AMD card after having 2 different models bought from different times (9600 Pro & X1950 Pro (HIS & Sapphire) - Around 2003 & 2007) and refused to buy any other card than Nvidia after that as they bacame faulty (ram on the 9600 Pro and the voltage regulators overheating on the X1950 Pro making it stop working, both of which were a dog to RMA direct back to the manufacturers), I always did state though I feel the color is way better on the Radeon cards. However, late last year was looking around for a mid / high card and went for the Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb, better value for money as the nvidia equivalents for the same price only had 2Gb ram on them, seeing as newer releases are requiring around the 4Gb mark.

There is also the Apple stuff, now don't get me wrong it looks nice, it is just I prefer to be able to tinker and set the OS up the way I like and have done since Windows 98, I like to tinker! With the Apple stuff it isn't as easy to be able to change things up, not forgetting the gaming side of things, not everything lands on the Mac, you do have boot camp available though. Same can be said for the iPhone, I have been a Sony Xperia user since the X10 which granted didn't have multi touch but it was an awesome phone, then I went HTC Desire and then back onto Sony with the Xperia T (still have it and love it) and then onto a Z2 but a few weeks back decided to go with an iPhone 6 as it just does what I need it to, yeah I do have a friend who has started developing small games for IOS and Android but i don't need to be tinkering wth preview builds of his work etc. I just need a phone that I can check in with my emails etc while I am out and about, not forgetting on the iPhone I can block me eldest daughter from texting or calling me while I am at the gym after a few taps if she is bugging me!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • lkarunan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory 8GB Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256GB, 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200.14
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2GB Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X
      • PSU:
      • Antec TP-550
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Arch Linux x64, Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Iiyama PLX2377HDS-B1
      • Internet:
      • Sky Broadband

I advocate the use os FOSS wherever possible but am also pragmatic (hypocritical?). Windows 10 seems to be a warning to those who don't take software freedom seriously. Issues like Superfish also seem to be logical outcomes of using proprietary environments and low profit margins. Any companies who use software patents offensively I also try to avoid for related reasons. In general I try to support any company that promotes FOSS (e.g. I specifically bought a Dell XPS 13 developer edition, even though it is trivial to replace Windows on most laptops these days). Therefore some of the companies I avoid - boycott is probably too strong a word - for these reason and others are:

Apple - also a poor value proposition
    Microsoft (I dual boot Windows 8.1 on my desktop for games but am careful which updates I install) - highly unethical business practices, poor value proposition
    Oracle
    EA (I support GoG wherever possible, I also use use Steam because of Valve's support of Linux, Vulcan etc.)
    Adobe - cost
    nVidia (I currently have a GTX 670, but plan to upgrade to AMD Polaris/Vega) - unethical business practices
    HP - for what they did to Palm
    Any non-Nexus Android device - security concerns

Veteran OGS
    Thanks
    • c12038's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X Evo
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1866 Gaming
      • Storage:
      • 5 SSD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 Red Devil 8gb
      • PSU:
      • 700Watt Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • NZXT 630 phantom case
      • Operating System:
      • WIN10 1803 64bit Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 29" LG 29WK600 with DP to DP
      • Internet:
      • VM 100mb BB

At this moment it would be AMD graphic cards They keep rebranding old stock GPUs and tell us they are new gpus that have been developed.... Would take alot to convince me to go back with AMD due to high prices and poor driver support
    Last edited by peterb; 02-04-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Language

Registered+
    Thanks

Anything that won't allow me to simply replace a battery, SDD or memory. Apple users are being ripped off these days with component lock-in, better alternatives and extortionate pricing.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Apple is by far the stand out name in this thread. I used to own a 3GS, and now have a Macbook Pro for work. To all those anti-Apple antagonists (it just came to me) :-

1) Why do you dislike the company or product?
    2) Do you expect to make a difference? If so, what do you do apart from boycott Apple?
    3) Do you use an alternative? Which one(s)? In what way do you feel they're a better choice?
    4) Do you tell others about Apple and the alternatives?

Boycotting can help, but seems to work best with a mix of education, awareness and media coverage. Then lots of people can all rage against the machine together.
    Interesting post, and some good points. As for your questions:

1) Because Apple have always represented what I despise about computing - closed systems that are designed with the intention of preventing customers from tinkering. If it was an OS that anyone could install, and they made some high calibre, OS-independent hardware, then I'd have much less of a problem with them. And of late, the massive smugness of their customers and brand overall has only hardened that line.

2) I don't. However, it would be hypocritical to criticise them and then also buy the products.

3) Broadly speaking, Windows and Android. More open platforms and better value for money, generally. I have recently used (extensively) an iPhone 6S and MacBook Air, and hated both, so at least I'm a bit more informed than I was before.

4) If people ask, I'll share my opinions freely. But I'm hardly briefing against them... I've got better things to do with my time, and ultimately if people are happy with their products then who am I to start telling them they're wrong?

11. Received thanks from:

Peter Parker (03-04-2016)

Snr Mbr I ain't that old
    Thanks
    • aramil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570k delided CLU XSPC-Raystorm
      • Memory:
      • corsair vengeance 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 evo 250 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 980 Super Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • corsair tx750 v2
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS800
      • Operating System:
      • MS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • 75-down 17-up

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmastorm View Post
    I boycott Facebook. If it's important enough people can call me, not got time for constant updates about who's having coffee and where they are.
    Yeah I don't do Facebook either. And apple mainly because it is overpriced for what it is and I prefer android.
    Intel i7 8700K delidded | Asus TUF Z370 Gaming Plus | Palit GTX980 SuperJetStream 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 240Gb | Samsung 1Tb F2 | WD 1Tb & 2Tb | Corsair 750TX v2 | 32Gb Corsair Vengence | Saitek Cyborg EVO F.S. | Zalman MS800 | Corsair K90 | AOC 27" 2560x1440 |AOC 24" HD | HTC Vive
    “This post was written using 100% recycled words.”

Thanks

Google because of their anti-competitive and predatory business practices (ad-supported business model rather than paying money for a product/service).

Surprised at the number of people saying Apple given they are one of the most morally upstanding companies in the business. I guess some people just hate because it's currently cool to do so. I tend to avoid those sort of trends.
    Last edited by mrochester; 02-04-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks
    • LeetyMcLeet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Auros X570 Master 1.2
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB 3600 DDR3 (G.Skill Trident Z)
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 980 Pro PCIe NVMe, 2 x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SATA3, 2 x 6TB WD Black 3.5'' HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3070Ti (MSI SUPRIM)
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design 7 Dark with TG Window
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ/Zowie XL @ 1080p, 240Hz
      • Internet:
      • BT Business FTTC/VDSL ~ 50Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Stoggy28 View Post
    Apple need i say more
    + this

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post

1) Why do you dislike the company or product?
    2) Do you expect to make a difference? If so, what do you do apart from boycott Apple?
    3) Do you use an alternative? Which one(s)? In what way do you feel they're a better choice?
    4) Do you tell others about Apple and the alternatives?

Boycotting can help, but seems to work best with a mix of education, awareness and media coverage. Then lots of people can all rage against the machine together.
    1) I don't boycott them exactly, but I regard their products as overpriced fashion icons, designed for a particular market segment. Rather like Rolex. Which I also wouldn't buy, for much the same reason.

2) No, I don't. I'm not campaigning or anything. Companies targeting consumers as Apple do know full well they're not targeting everyone and that people with my mindset aren't in their demographic. They won't care that I, or millions that agree, won't buy because they never expected us to in the first place.

3) Alternative? Yes, for tablets. Why? Do everything I need at about a third of the price.

4) Erm, not really. The subject of iphones rarely comes up in my life, except on here. For tablets, two friends did buy the same 10" tablet I bought because I told them about a very good (temporary) deal our local John Lewis had. But other than that, as for iphones, it's not a subject that comes very often. I'm sure most of my family/friends have smartphones and probsbly most have tablets, but I've never really paid any attentiln to which ones.

16. Received thanks from:

Peter Parker (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Anything Apple, Ubisoft and EA sells. Also AMD cpu's until they are competitive both in performance and power efficiency again.

Spreadie

No surprises here:

Apple mobiles, mainly for the iOS/iTunes ecosystem - I've owned a couple of iphones and an ipad, so this isn't just hate speech. I haven't used an Apple computer in anger since the old Mac Color Classic (iirc), so I can't comment intelligently on their Laptops etc... I've had a play with newer models, obviously, but nothing more than a few minutes at a time.

Windows 10 - Even if you put the privacy issues aside for a moment, I just cannot get on with it. Every time I go back to it, it feels... hollow, without substance - I dunno. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I dislike it intensely.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information