Thread: Apple's iOS 9.3.2 update could brick your iPad Pro

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Apple's iOS 9.3.2 update could brick your iPad Pro

Many iPad Pro 9.7-inch owners are reporting an Error 56 boot loop following the update.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Apple's iOS 9.3.2 update could brick your iPad Pro

Apple... it just works....well that used to be the moto, now not so much.

How can a company that has such tight control over all the hardware used in it's devices let this sort of thing happen.

Now I can understand a linux or windows update doing this to a select few items due to the amount of variation available but this is apple who sell 'pre packaged products' with predefined hardware.

Thanks
    • Vorlon99's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Supermicro C7Z97-M
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k 4ghz + Custom Liquid Cooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1,866
      • Storage:
      • 1TB SSD SanDisk X300 enterprise + 1tb SSHD Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 860W 80 PLUS Platinum
      • Case:
      • Supermicro S5 Gaming
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 273V5QHAB 27" AMVA LED 1080p
      • Internet:
      • up to 39mb Fibre

Well, they have bricked iphone 4's last year with the big update to iOS, and there are a lot of problems where the update is too big to download and install on some of these older devices, so you have to do it using iTunes etc...
    All gets a little bit messy, and a lot less Apple than some people are used to
    Add me on BL and Steam - Egg-O-Deth

Thanks
    • MrRockliffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z270i Strix
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 850 Evo, 500GB 860 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
      • PSU:
      • 550W Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • NZXT H200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 150Mb

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post

How can a company that has such tight control over all the hardware used in it's devices let this sort of thing happen.

Now I can understand a linux or windows update doing this to a select few items due to the amount of variation available but this is apple who sell 'pre packaged products' with predefined hardware.
    Instead of focusing the same resources on a tighter group of hardware, they think "oh, we don't need to work as hard". It's the primary reason the 6S Plus just isn't as good as it should/could be.
    XBOX Live - Sheep Sardine | Origin - MrRockliffe | Steam - MrRockliffe |

Add me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post

The thing is no two hardware device are a like even if they the make and model
    My guest would be some software run background is the root cuases the problem

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SHSPVR View Post
    The thing is no two hardware device are a like even if they the make and model
    Not really true, they have a few different suppliers admittedly but they're all under contract to fit into Apples specifications on their hardware, plus I'm sure Apple has access to EVERY combination of their hardware configurations, not to mention during the 4/5 beta versions prior to this. And it's not like there's hundreds and hundreds of possible configurations of each model and this is an OS level update, so worst case scenario should be some of the user installed software not working, not the device bricking itself on an update.

Thanks

Plenty of my mates starting to get sick of the update errors happening...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Honestly, and begrudgingly, I have to admit this speaks volumes for the level of software/hardware quality people have come to expect from Apple--that such a small-scale issue is making such huge waves shows that Apple has probably worked tirelessly to keep this from happening and this one just slipped through.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plexabit View Post
    Honestly, and begrudgingly, I have to admit this speaks volumes for the level of software/hardware quality people have come to expect from Apple--that such a small-scale issue is making such huge waves shows that Apple has probably worked tirelessly to keep this from happening and this one just slipped through.
    I actually lolled a lot... I'm getting more and more software updates that just don't work from Apple with OSX and iOS updates that are pretty shoddy. This is one in quite a long list that has messed up recently...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I actually lolled a lot... I'm getting more and more software updates that just don't work from Apple with OSX and iOS updates that are pretty shoddy. This is one in quite a long list that has messed up recently...
    So it's a new trend of Apple slowly going downhill under the less-magical Tim Cook? I can't say I'm surprised.

Thanks

Appears so.. but it's been said many a time. I guess if we cut them some slack they do have a vast amount of hardware out there to screw up...

Thanks
    • whatif's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel 4th gen NUC
      • CPU:
      • i3 4010u Intel NUC
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 2400MHz HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung XP941 256GB, 800GB Intel DC 3700
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel 4th gen i3 graphics
      • PSU:
      • Intle NUC power brick
      • Case:
      • Morex NUC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" or Samsung 32" TV
      • Internet:
      • Cable

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Appears so.. but it's been said many a time. I guess if we cut them some slack they do have a vast amount of hardware out there to screw up...
    Sorry, I can understand why you might say that, but I have to disagree with you. :-)

Every time I look up the ratios of IOS products compared to windows or android, IOS is only a small percentage. So to say a vast amount of hardware, what does that mean about products running windows or android - immensely, hugely, enormously, many times more hardware.
    Given the tight control apple maintains over their products and software used on them, there really should not be big stuff ups like this.
    Just compare the ios market share at around 15% as of this year, % changes only a little depending on the source, but always near this figure.
    People seem to get this idea that Apple is a dominant player, but it is really only a bit player when it comes to products sold. Android has recently been the major player by far, especially due to the proliferation of cheap products out of Asia.
    Just one example - Smartphone OS Market Share, 2015 Q2 graph from IDC ( http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartpho...rket-share.jsp ) shows how little market share apple actually has (ios has about 10% to 20% and android has about 70% to 85% over past 3 years).
    Similar market share differences appear when you look at PC operating systems.
    But if you break it down even further, this is finally where apple's figures start to look not to bad - if you were to compare with the individual companies, for example comparing apple to acer products sold.

Check it out for yourself if you think I am yanking your chain.
    Last edited by whatif; 19-05-2016 at 10:59 PM. Reason: forgot spomething

Banned - repeated insults to other members
    Thanks

"How can a company that makes its own proprietary (locked down) hardware AND Software have such poor quality issues?"

Cos it was a myth all along that proprietary ANYTHING can be good. When it is proprietary, only a small group of people can see/understand the hardware and software - the employees. Not even all the employees, mind you, only certain very senior ones in certain departments. Of course there will be unmanageable bugs & errors!

Apple is a hardware company pure and simply. Their financial reports are centred on how many boxes/units are shipped each quarter or year. To think that they make software which is any good is bonkers. Think of their silly Siri, iOS maps - hopeless. Think of their Facetime/iMessage which nobody uses cos the other party must have the same brand device!? Think Safari which is one of the worst performing or mediocre browsers.

The IT industry has known all along that (1) best of breed and (2) open source or at least (3) platform independence is the best way forward. With Windows, it thrashed the heck out of Macs with only (1) and (3).

With Android you get all three. Think best of breed - best hardware component makers from Asia and Google for the software. Consumers can pick whoever has the best hardware at any given point in time. You also don't just depend on Google employees to quash software bugs. the hardware makers doing their bit. Most importantly, you have a global army of developers - the open source community.

This has always applied in enterprise and consumer spaces. Its just that consumers can be really dumb.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Wow, would you like some salt for those chips?

Thread Information