• Thermaltake Armor II
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.0
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" T240 16:10
      • Internet:
      • Cogeco 30Mbps

Re: Microsoft does u-turn on tricky Windows 10 upgrade popup

This upgrade popup window looks fine to me. Everyone should know that clicking the "x" is not the same thing as clicking the "OK" or the ""here" link. If you cannot handle the same dialog box windows programs have been using since Windows 95, maybe you need to go back to Windows 3.0 or an abacus! What a bunch of whiny people... and for no reason, Windows 10.0 works great, even on my gaming rig. This comment is not sponsored by MS, just common sense!

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by ricksavoie View Post
    This upgrade popup window looks fine to me. Everyone should know that clicking the "x" is not the same thing as clicking the "OK" or the ""here" link. If you cannot handle the same dialog box windows programs have been using since Windows 95, maybe you need to go back to Windows 3.0 or an abacus! What a bunch of whiny people... and for no reason, Windows 10.0 works great, even on my gaming rig. This comment is not sponsored by MS, just common sense!
    Or you could actually read the link and discover that clicking the X is exactly the problem here and MS changed that exact box behaviour they've been using since windows x.

3. Received thanks from:

Saracen (26-05-2016)

Thanks

Someone needs to tell Microsoft their breaking Microsoft's guidelines for developers when designing dialog boxes.
    The Close button on the title bar should have the same effect as the Cancel or Close button within the dialog box. Never give it the same effect as OK.

5. Received thanks from:

azrael- (26-05-2016)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ricksavoie View Post
    So how do you explain the previous upgrade box that gave the option to upgrade now, upgrade later or click the "X"? The X was the only way to get out of the upgrade. Microsoft breaking their own guidelines because they can't take no for an answer is no excuse.

Thanks

Microsoft are well aware of negative feedback about this dialogue and have done nothing to build in controls that would be respectful of peoples decisions / preferences for installing a new OS. Without such controls GWX is simply malware. Having had to deal with this for almost a year on several PCs they got my attention and the result is Linux mint because enough of this BS already.

Mint just seems like the new normal now and windows can become occassional use only when required. What do I care about ads and microtransaction laden apps anyway. Perhaps there is only so much waste of time free* abuse that people will tolerate before windows phone devices drop below 1% market share. Innovation is not copying all the worst aspects of your competitors.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Offering users an obvious choice, and an informed choice at that, is one thing but this sort of guerilla marketing stinks, and has cost MS any respect at all I had for them.
    I think most sane people have lost a lot of any respect they had for MS over this whole Windows 10 upgrade and GWX saga. It's been an abomination from start to finish.
    Last edited by jezza9; 25-05-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks
    • simonpreston's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X370 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • A lot.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS1000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 20.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2412m
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Damn Microsoft and their disgusting tricks.

Now, if you'll excuse me, Android 6 is now available for my phone and I must upgrade to that immediately!

Thanks

I think it's kind of funny to see Microsoft trying so hard to get people to get Windows 10 for free. Market share aside, what's in it for them?

I've never used or tried anything above Windows 7 (which still works great), so I don't know if 8/10 were the new ME/Vista, but they never tried to give those away.

I know that sales of personal computer is declining amongst home users, but I still don't see any serious threat to Microsoft's market share.
    Last edited by TooNice; 26-05-2016 at 05:38 AM.

Thanks
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2+4TB HDD + 3TB Synology DS216SE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 270X HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • ElectriQ 32" 4k IPS + Dell 22" U2212HM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    I think it's kind of funny about Microsoft trying so hard to get people to get Windows 10 for free. Market share aside, what's in it for them?
    Truth be told, that's one of the strongest reasons why I haven't upgraded. I have vague worries about compatibility of drivers/old software - the general hassle of upgrading - but if MS hadn't pushed it so hard I might have gotten curious and given it a go when I had some spare time. The ultra-hard sell has resulted in a bout of bloody-mindedness and a conviction that I'm sure as hell not going to reward such behaviour by complying.

Thanks

The Windows 7 approach was arguably better. Free beta which lead to people trying it out and spreading the word that it is solid and pretty much what the successor to XP should have been. Then, put out cheap pre-orders, which lead to buying, sometime more than one copies for "future builds". They get paid and the public is happy.

I suppose one of the big question is whether Win10 is what the AFAIK unpopular Win8 should have been. Right now all I am hearing is news about MS giving it away / will soon stop giving it away / trying to force upgrade.. nothing about how it is a worthy successor to Win7. Which is a shame, given that at some point we will have to upgrade Win7 if only for the continued security update and new DirectX..

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

I think it's kind of funny to see Microsoft trying so hard to get people to get Windows 10 for free. Market share aside, what's in it for them?
    You think they get a bag of jelly beans for pushing other companies apps onto your computer?

Thanks

I've never used or tried anything above Windows 7 (which still works great), so I don't know if 8/10 were the new ME/Vista, but they never tried to give those away.

I know that sales of personal computer is declining amongst home users, but I still don't see any serious threat to Microsoft's market share.
    Just my personal opinion based on nothing more than my own thoughts and observations, but like most things in business it's about the money, Microsoft realised, and maybe even intended for sales of their OS to consumer and small business to be a loss leader, at the time that was a smart move as it benefited Microsoft to get people learning Windows in their masses, that skilled mass of people could then easily use those same skills in big businesses, think of it as like those silly games we had on the early phones, they weren't there for our fun but to get people used to using the small keypads.

Fast forward 15 years and Windows is the de facto operating system used by almost everyone, when someone asks if you can use a computer they mean Windows, when someone asks if you can use Office they mean Microsoft Office, almost everyone can use Windows, some people would be lost if faced with a computer that didn't have Windows, for some Windows and computers are one of the same thing.

Now Windows has become the de facto standard Microsoft can monetize those consumers and small businesses that they've been, for want of a better word, training for the last 15 years, they can push the Windows Store, Bing, Office, OneDrive, and all the other services Microsoft intends to make money from onto people, now windows has become the de facto standard Microsoft can, to an extent, do what they want and start making money from what used to be a loss leader.

Thanks

How does it works? Auto-installed, auto-displayed, opt-in/out etc. And can it be fully disabled?

Edit: Looks like I posted at the same time as Corky. But was Windows prior to 10 a loss leader? Just by sheer number of OEM / bought copies out there since Win95, I would have thought that it was a cash cow. Prior to that Win7 early adopter offer and perhaps some of the education discount and the likes, Windows was never super "cheap". I am sure that the development cost is massive too, but I would be surprised if the quantity sold did not allow for a decent profit by the time they had a comfortable majority of the market share..

(Has not bothered looking up as I am typing this on a phone)
    Last edited by TooNice; 26-05-2016 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

10 is a move to the much more prevalent cheap/free OS and store/app integration. They should be able to get much more revenue from app purchases than they could through win 7 for instance. For example to play DVDs via Windows you now have to buy an app, rather than having the ability free (you get a free copy of DVD player if you do an in place upgrade from a windows version that had the entertainment centre).

How does it works? Auto-installed, auto-displayed, opt-in/out etc. And can it be fully disabled?
    The update? As of the news post it was auto-downloaded and scheduled for installation, subject to a user clicking 'ok upgrade' - and that prompt is effectively ever present. No opt out save persistent dialogue box closure. It can be disabled through a fair amount of jiggery pokery.

Subsequently MS have said they will make it easier to decline.. I've yet to see it though.

Thanks

I mean the app that gets pushed mentioned by jimbouk.

Okay, I am not liking the sounds of it. It sounds like an mobile phone OS where you have to get apps for just about anything :/

I never use the Windows Media/Entertainment Centre, preferring my choice of video/audio players. Do they typically come with what is necessary to play DVD/BD, or do they all borrow windows libraries I would be missing without buying the MS app?

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I never use the Windows Media/Entertainment Centre, preferring my choice of video/audio players. Do they typically come with what is necessary to play DVD/BD, or do they all borrow windows libraries I would be missing without buying the MS app?
    Legally.. could be quite interesting. As most techies know, the DVD encoding keys were figured out/leaked ages ago so it's easy for a third part to create an app to play DVDs, but where they might have got away with a 'this computer already has the libraries/keys so it's OK' in the past, it could be a bit trickier now since they might not be paying any royalties to the IP owners (the free ones almost certainly won't be). But sadly with most things tech, legal considerations are practically non-existent, instead if people can, they will.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information