Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 151

Thread: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,709
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,070 times in 719 posts

    AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    Going super-aggressive to gain market share, we think.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Xlucine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,151
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked
    186 times in 145 posts
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    Ooh, this looks promising. >5TF is pretty much equal to the 390 (assuming memory bandwidth isn't a bottleneck, which it shouldn't be), so this looks like 390 performance for 380X price (200USD in GBP + VAT = ~£170). The power usage is a little concerning, the 1070 does considerably more on 150W

    Aren't we meant to get an AM4 update today as well? Odd that the embargoes would run at different times

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dhaka
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    • 61zone's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H81M-S2PV
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i3 4160
      • Memory:
      • Twinmos DDR3 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel 4400
      • PSU:
      • Valuetop 500w
      • Case:
      • Space 2000m
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W1953TE 18.5"
      • Internet:
      • 2.5MBps broadband

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    So with aftermarket cooler and taxes we are looking at almost 260-280$ card with 4GB VRAM? Even it is 8Gb still the problem is AMD Failed to deliver again. I'll wait till all the benchmark results pour in.

  4. #4
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,775
    Thanks
    1,794
    Thanked
    3,293 times in 2,651 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    Quote Originally Posted by hexus
    This is not a big, high-end chip
    Then why have they called it RX rather than R7 or perhaps R8 in keeping with their establish performance categories? RX (10) implies it's a whole step above the R9 products :/ We don't need yet more confusion from AMD.

    However, very nice price. Just what a lot of people are looking for.

  5. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    Q: Hex, do any of your writers/editors have any positions in nVidia stock or sponsored in any way by nVidia?

    (I think it would be worthwhile being a little transparent so your readership is aware)

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Ooh, this looks promising. >5TF is pretty much equal to the 390 (assuming memory bandwidth isn't a bottleneck, which it shouldn't be), so this looks like 390 performance for 380X price (200USD in GBP + VAT = ~£170). The power usage is a little concerning, the 1070 does considerably more on 150W

    Aren't we meant to get an AM4 update today as well? Odd that the embargoes would run at different times
    Benchmarks I've seen elsewhere suggest the performance is around Fury X/GTX 980 level, but more importantly for AMD when run in crossfire these things outperform the GTX1080 for two thirds of the cost. Assuming it's HBM memory I don't think it will be a bottleneck, the Fury's handled 4K rather well despite only having 4GB.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    Nvidia made step forward, for AMD I cant say nothing... yet

  8. #8
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,642
    Thanks
    3,762
    Thanked
    5,070 times in 3,914 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    A few weeks on Chiphell forums they said the card was close to a R9 390X. Also,remember a single PCI-E six pin connector only means the card consumes above 75W with a maximum of 150W.

  9. #9
    Editable... jimbouk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    2,824
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked
    238 times in 191 posts
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    If it's actually new architecture rather than just a rehash of an old card then it's well worth a number change. Nice to have something actually new, it's been a while.

    Fingers crossed it's got enough bang for buck to be a success!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    327
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    26 times in 20 posts

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    Looks promising. No idea where the 150W TDP is from though, the slides say "150W Power", which can mean a lot of things. Maybe it's better not to assume the worst case from that. 150W TDP with only a 6 pin power connector would be a pretty bad design after all. If this GPU turns out to be an overclocking monster, 200 bucks would be well worth it, but 150W TDP with only a 6 pin would mean close to no overclocking potential.

  11. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    Quote Originally Posted by HW90 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Ooh, this looks promising. >5TF is pretty much equal to the 390 (assuming memory bandwidth isn't a bottleneck, which it shouldn't be), so this looks like 390 performance for 380X price (200USD in GBP + VAT = ~£170). The power usage is a little concerning, the 1070 does considerably more on 150W

    Aren't we meant to get an AM4 update today as well? Odd that the embargoes would run at different times
    Benchmarks I've seen elsewhere suggest the performance is around Fury X/GTX 980 level, but more importantly for AMD when run in crossfire these things outperform the GTX1080 for two thirds of the cost. Assuming it's HBM memory I don't think it will be a bottleneck, the Fury's handled 4K rather well despite only having 4GB.
    Here's a link from a very reputable site: http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/31/11826478/amd-radeon-rx-480-199-vr-ready-graphics-card

    2 in CF outperforming a GTX1080... Polaris 10 is an amazing price to performance card! Can't wait to see the benchmarks when the NDA embargo lifts at the end of the month.

  12. #12
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,775
    Thanks
    1,794
    Thanked
    3,293 times in 2,651 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    If it's actually new architecture rather than just a rehash of an old card then it's well worth a number change. Nice to have something actually new, it's been a while.
    I'm very happy for the 480 bit to be new! It's the market category designator which AMD are breaking their previously sensible rules for - R7 was meant to indicate market segment, 200/300 etc. are (supposedly) the different generations and 50 70 etc. are the performance levels within that generation.

    I would link to the AMD FAQ that mentioned this, but their FAQ points to a page not found. Smooth AMD :/

  13. #13
    Team HEXUS.net
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked
    411 times in 217 posts

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    Quote Originally Posted by idris View Post
    Q: Hex, do any of your writers/editors have any positions in nVidia stock or sponsored in any way by nVidia?

    (I think it would be worthwhile being a little transparent so your readership is aware)
    No, none at all. In fact, I want AMD to succeed do there's some much-needed competition.

  14. #14
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,642
    Thanks
    3,762
    Thanked
    5,070 times in 3,914 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    Well if AMD can deliver on R9 390X level performance at £165 to £210 that would mean Nvidia would have to have a GTX1060/GTX1060TI with similar performance for a similar price,and that should nicely drop the price of the GTX1070 to hopefully under £300.

  15. #15
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gateshead
    Posts
    15,196
    Thanks
    1,231
    Thanked
    2,291 times in 1,874 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    36 CUs, probably 64 shaders per CU to make a total of 2304. IIRC shaders tend to do 2 flops per cycle, so 5TFlops would come from clock speeds around 1.1GHz. All sounds utterly plausible. That level of compute suggests 4k isn't a serious target for this card - I'd guess it's targeting 60fps at 1080 ultra/1440 high. 4GB of VRAM on the entry level cards is therefore more than sufficient, I'd suggest (particularly if they've improved the compression algorithms again). An overclocked 8GB card might well make a good fist of 4k with medium to high settings...

  16. #16
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,775
    Thanks
    1,794
    Thanked
    3,293 times in 2,651 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: AMD announces Polaris pricing - $199 for RX 480

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    36 CUs, probably 64 shaders per CU to make a total of 2304. IIRC shaders tend to do 2 flops per cycle, so 5TFlops would come from clock speeds around 1.1GHz. All sounds utterly plausible. That level of compute suggests 4k isn't a serious target for this card - I'd guess it's targeting 60fps at 1080 ultra/1440 high. 4GB of VRAM on the entry level cards is therefore more than sufficient, I'd suggest (particularly if they've improved the compression algorithms again). An overclocked 8GB card might well make a good fist of 4k with medium to high settings...
    And it's really pretty close in TFLOPs terms to the 1070, but vastly cheaper. However TFLOPs do not make a game..

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •