Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Galax GeForce GTX 1080 HOF hits 2.2GHz on air, 2.5GHz on LN2

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Galax GeForce GTX 1080 HOF hits 2.2GHz on air, 2.5GHz on LN2

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I think there is more than that.

When an entry level CPU was a Pentium II at 166MHz or you could pay lots more for a 266MHz part, the only difference between them was clock speed so there was a big win from overclocking an entry level part.

Even when the fabled Celeron 300MHz came out, if you got that overclock to 450MHz you were only losing out on a bit of L2 cache compared to a P2 or P3.

These days, if you buy an entry level i3 or Pentium part then compared to a range topping i7 you lose cores, cache and features so an overclock can never get you the equivalent of a top end part for less money.
    Well on the bright side, the only difference between a I5 and a I7 is Cache and Hyperthreading, so with enough OC, you could make a I5 perform nearly identical to I7 from same family.

Thanks

As long as I can play my games on the highest gfx above 60Fps *too poor to buy 144Hz etc screens* I will be happy. #SouthAfricanStruggle #F*ckExchangeRates

Thanks

It's not that I am no longer interested in overclocking if it is cost effective to do so, but nowadays I care more about noise to the point where I am willing to lose some cost effectiveness to silence my machine. That conflict and overrules the appeal for getting more performance for "nothing" (than a slightly higher electricity bill).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information