Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tesco Mobile will cut your bill if you agree to watch ads

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Tesco Mobile will cut your bill if you agree to watch ads

Tesco Mobile pay monthly and SIM only contract customers can save £3pm.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 1x8GB XMS3 1600Mhz CL11
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

Re: Tesco Mobile will cut your bill if you agree to watch ads

While I think its perhaps a nice option for those who would rather trim off a bit of the bill, even if I were with Tesco I would rather have to deal with £3 more than ads whenever I unlock the phone. I guess its a fairly reasonable slice of the bill off though, but quite how much its worth is going to come down to how much you use the phone. Every time you unlock your phone, you would be costing yourself time.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • robredz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A97 Evo Rev 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8350
      • Memory:
      • !6 Gb (4 x 4) Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Ix Toshiba Sata 3 3 Tb, 1 X WD Sata 3 500 TGb, 1 x Maxtor Sata 3 1 Tb 2 x 200 Gb Maxtor Sata 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY Nvidia 760 2 Gb
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850 Watt Core edition
      • Case:
      • Casecom CS 13
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu Studio X64 Dual Boot with Windows 7 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 X Dell U2311H

Had enough of ads already. just want a good service with no intrusions.

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

It's not every time, it's every few times (or third time I read somewhere else). That's not bad for a significant per month discount.

Might switch this year.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Do you think that Tesco is asking too much for too slight a discount? Remember you can get Tesco contract phones such as the Lumia 550, or Moto E 2nd gen, with 250 minutes, 5000 texts and 500MB (+200MB bonus) data for just £7.50 per month. In such a case £3 off is a significant slice.
    There's two ways to look at that, one of which is that £3 is a good 'slice' of, for example, £7.50.

But the other is that £7.50 isn't expensive and are you prepared to put up with adverts for £3/month.

It doesn't appeal to me, for several reasons :-

- I don't have a smartphone, and
    - if I did, I avoid Tesco like the plaque, and
    - if my provider offered it, no way would I put up with ad's for £3/month.

I will say the way they're offering it, in effectively opt-in for people willing to put up with the ads, is the right way to go about it, and no doubt it will appeal to some people.

But personally, hell, no.

6. Received thanks from:

robredz (20-06-2016)

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Meh, it's not for everyone but I'm sure some people would appreciate the chance to lower their bills a little.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    There's two ways to look at that, one of which is that £3 is a good 'slice' of, for example, £7.50.
    I think they have a lot of customers who are school kids. My son was on Tesco with a £7.50/m deal that came with a Moto E, a lot of his friends seem to be on an £11/m deal that came with a Moto G. I don't personally know any adults on Tesco.

Those deals get you 500MB/m which kids struggle with, another £3.50 gets you 2GB/m on a sim only deal so I can see a lot of kids when the contracts come up for renewal asking for another 50p and adverts to quadruple their data allowance to something more youtube friendly.

In fact, if Tesco made it a simple "2GB per month extra for adverts" they would probably get a lot of takers, and it might cost them less than £3 as people won't always use the data.

OTOH, if having adverts pop up on your phone leads to playground ridicule, then the audience might be rather limited.

Registered+
    Thanks

It doesn't appeal to me, for several reasons :-

- I don't have a smartphone, and
    - if I did, I avoid Tesco like the plaque
    If you don't have a smartphone I don't think Tesco gives a hoot about your not being interested... Presumably if you have a mobile phone and only have minutes and texts your contracts is dirt cheap as it is and whoever you're with is making diddly squat off you in any case.

As for avoiding Tesco I presume that is based off a prejudice against the company itself or it's practices? Because Tesco Mobile is a Which? recommended provider and scores extremely highly on customer service. I was within them on a SIM only deal for 2 years. Only reason I switched is because they use the O2 network which has an appalling lack of 3G coverage in many areas that I travel to.

As a mobile operator they are otherwise excellent. Their customer service is easy to get through to, based in the UK and friendly. They are one of the only UK mobile operators that do not increase your contract price mid-term based on RPI increases. They also have an excellent app for monitoring your usage and purchasing one-off add ons.

Thanks

so it begins, ad free voice calls to be charged a premium coming near you...soon...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Syphadeus View Post

If you don't have a smartphone I don't think Tesco gives a hoot about your not being interested... Presumably if you have a mobile phone and only have minutes and texts your contracts is dirt cheap as it is and whoever you're with is making diddly squat off you in any case.

As for avoiding Tesco I presume that is based off a prejudice against the company itself or it's practices? Because Tesco Mobile is a Which? recommended provider and scores extremely highly on customer service. I was within them on a SIM only deal for 2 years. Only reason I switched is because they use the O2 network which has an appalling lack of 3G coverage in many areas that I travel to.

As a mobile operator they are otherwise excellent. Their customer service is easy to get through to, based in the UK and friendly. They are one of the only UK mobile operators that do not increase your contract price mid-term based on RPI increases. They also have an excellent app for monitoring your usage and purchasing one-off add ons.
    I doubt Tesco give a hoot about any single domestic customers, whether mobile or shop. They're simply way, way to big. Also, of course, I don't give a hoot whether Tesco give a hoot.

As for my mobile, PAYG not contract, and I have no idea what text capability is included because I don't use them.

I used to be a Tesco customer until I was treated appallingly in a store. I have no opinion on what Which think of their customer service, but my experience is that it was atrocious. Having lodged a compaint about the actions off my local store, which by the way were not only offensive but illegal, I was promised they'd "make inquiries and let me know". After about a month, I rang to query progress and was told, in a rather brusque tone I might add, and I quote "We said we'd let you know when we had something".

Sooooo, here were are, about ten years later, and I'm still waiting for them to fulfil what they promised, not once but twice.

Granted, it's ONE store, and ONE customer service complaint, albeit two calls, but it's enough for me. Tesco may not, and presumably don't, give a hoot what I think but that's fine, because I don't give a hoot about them either. Which is why I said I approve of the way they're doing it, but it wouldn't interest me even if I was a smartphone user, regardless of whether it was Tesco or someone else offering it.

For me, I simply don't want ad's on my phone, and even if I used a smartphone I still wouldn't, and £3 a month discount isn't enough, isn't anywhere remotely near enough, to put up with them.

12. Received thanks from:

robredz (13-06-2016)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Syphadeus View Post
    <---snip

They aren't strictly a network operator, in that they don't own any infrastructure, they are a branded reseller, so the coverage depends on the underlying network provider.

My Vodafone SIM only package is not linked to the RPI.

As for Ads, £3 is a small incentive for the intrusion of advertising - IMHO - of course.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Sooooo, here were are, about ten years later, and I'm still waiting for them to fulfil what they promised, not once but twice.
    That seems very unfortunate. At one point (probably also about 10 years ago) I stopped using Tesco after I went to one of their very large stores to find there was a choice of televisions which I had no interest in buying but they were out of corned beef. Now I thought the point of the electrical goods was as an impulse purchase while you were buying your basic shopping, but realizing I could only buy electrical goods and was having difficulty buying my groceries I just stopped going there.

Still, they seem to have improved and the customer service I have had from them has always been superb including Tesco Mobile who when stuff happened (which it just does, can't put blame on them for that) a real effort was made to put things right. Overall I think Tesco are well out of pocket on my son's contract, yet they were always happy to help.

I would have thought Tesco's pioneering work in data collection would have been your sticking point with them But then I guess all supermarkets do that now.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

If I stopped buying food from places that data-mined us, I'd pretty much have to revert to subsistence farming. My response to that is a bit more basic - I just pay cash, and don't use "reward" cards. Ever. I might have to resort to disguises, or a burkha, if they ever implement in-store facial recognition (in stores I actually use).

As for Tesco CS, I don't assume that their CS is bad for everybody because it was bad for me. However, Tesco are not, to paraphrase an old adage, the only shop in town. In fact, I have Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, and Aldi within 5 minutes, and it's not much further for Morrisons and LIDL, and that's just the ones I can think of immediately.

On top of that, my closest supermarket is Waitrose. I hadn't spent a great deal of time there until about 10 or 12 years ago, but after the Tesco incident, I gave them a much more thorough look. I know they have a reputation for being pricey, but in my experience that's a bit misleading. On common brand products, be it washing powder, marmalade, coffee, whatever, they're more or less the same, though as with all stores, there's variances due to timing. However, their "own brand" products do tend to be more expensive than most product lines in Tesco, but my view is that that's down to product quality. They pitch their standards, in my opinion, a fair bit up on Tesco and, to my taste, that shows in quality of meats, cheeses, etc. So yeah, you can save money by going Tesco, but only by sacrificing quality.

Conversely, I find Aldi/LIDL cheaper than Tesco and for the most part, at least as good in quality terms.

For me, Tesco have been squeezed out. I'll happily use Aldi/LIDL for some things, and happily use Waitrose for almost anything. I, quite literally, don't need Tesco. Not using them costs me nothing, causes me zero inconvenience and bothers me not a bit. At this point, I've moved on and, as far as I'm concerned, to better stores be it Aldi/LIDL, or Waitrose.

On odd occasions, when I've had reason to experience Waitrose in-store, it's been superb. Staff are invariably (in my exoerience) polite and very helpful. It's no accident, either, as I've seen some of their training materials. An example was a batch of 6 chicken breasts. When I opened them, they stank as only badly off chicken can. I took them back, the section manager undid the double-bagged package I took in, sniffed, gagged and immediately replaced them with fresh (which, obviously, is a minimum) and offered us a choice of bottles of wine (up to a max of, IIRC, £10 or £12) as an apology. When I bought a box of 6 Brita water filters, on opening them one was cracked. Next time I was in the store I bumped into the branch manager and told him, and asked if I should bring it in. He say no, and just replaced the 6-pack, despite the other 5 being okay.

Twice, when I've had queries (once about their "reward" card) and rung CS on the phone, they've promised to get back to me and both times, actually did.

Two calls to Tesco, zero replies. Two calls to Waitrose, three replies - one call they rang after a few days to say it was ongoing and taking longer than expected, then again after about three weeks with the actual reply.

My very limited experience of CS obviously doesn't constitute a valid statistical sample size, or random selection, but we tend to rely heavily on our own experiences and mine has been first rate for Waitrose, both in-store and telephone.

Declaration of interest (or lack of) : I'm not, and never have been, employed by or had any financial interest in Waitrose. I did do some consultancy for a 3rd party that involved time in Waitrose stores, but the same is true of Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, Co-op (oh, forgot, we have them a few minutes walk from home, too) and others, too.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • robredz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A97 Evo Rev 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8350
      • Memory:
      • !6 Gb (4 x 4) Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Ix Toshiba Sata 3 3 Tb, 1 X WD Sata 3 500 TGb, 1 x Maxtor Sata 3 1 Tb 2 x 200 Gb Maxtor Sata 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY Nvidia 760 2 Gb
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850 Watt Core edition
      • Case:
      • Casecom CS 13
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu Studio X64 Dual Boot with Windows 7 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 X Dell U2311H

Quote Originally Posted by aniilv View Post
    so it begins, ad free voice calls to be charged a premium coming near you...soon...
    Don't go giving them ideas. Seriously that would really upset people.
    Last edited by peterb; 13-06-2016 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Edited for language.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    They aren't strictly a network operator, in that they don't own any infrastructure, they are a branded reseller, so the coverage depends on the underlying network provider.

My Vodafone SIM only package is not linked to the RPI.

As for Ads, £3 is a small incentive for the intrusion of advertising - IMHO - of course.
    Yes - I realise that Tesco are an MVNO, but the VNO part stands for "Virtual Network Operator" and so an operator, of sorts. As for your Vodafone contract is that a network wide feature that they offer or just a deal for you or select subset of customers? I only ask because Tesco Mobile tout it is a USP of sorts as no RPI related price increase applies across their entire tariff range.

Registered+
    Thanks

Granted, it's ONE store, and ONE customer service complaint, albeit two calls, but it's enough for me. Tesco may not, and presumably don't, give a hoot what I think but that's fine, because I don't give a hoot about them either. Which is why I said I approve of the way they're doing it, but it wouldn't interest me even if I was a smartphone user, regardless of whether it was Tesco or someone else offering it.
    So, to get this straight - the primary reason you're not interested in Tesco Mobile, aside from the fact that you're not looking for a phone contract and don't have a smartphone, is owing to a complaint you had with one store and one instance of selling a decade ago? Wow... and I suppose you felt strongly enough to report the incident to trading standards / Ofcom or whichever practice governing body was applicable? Probably not eh?

Your response is an odd one because as a recent customer of Tesco Mobile I was informing you of my recent experience with them which was exceedingly positive. I then also cited Which? as another source which rates Tesco Mobile highly. Only for you to basically say that your opinion of them is set and your stance is immovable because you don't care about what they think of you, what I think of them or what an industry consumer representing body thinks of them. I would surmise from that that you're the sort of person that once you've formed an opinion on something you're going to stick to it no matter the counterargument, which is to say that you're probably very stubborn. If so, that is of course your prerogative but the only person missing out there is you.

I also find it interesting that you chose to involve yourself by commenting on this article since, on the surface at least, you appear to lack even the most tenuous of connected interest to the article's content. You don't even own a smartphone so you're completely ineligible for the product. All you've managed to do is inject your own negative and out of date opinion on the company. This is kind of like me commenting on an article about horses and saying "I don't like horses, they scare me". Like, okay, so what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information