Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Microsoft announces Xbox One S and teases Project Scorpio

Thanks

Re: Microsoft announces Xbox One S and teases Project Scorpio

Quote Originally Posted by jigger View Post
    ...the biggest advantage is the machine will probably cost less than GTX1080.
    Going on this interview Mr Spencer gave to EuroGamer i wouldn't be so sure.
    So, Scorpio is for the person who's got a 4K television, who's really focused on 4K gaming. It's going to be a premium price over what we're selling this one for, and both of them will exist in the market at the same time. Scorpio is for your 4K gamer. And that's what we designed it for.
    My emphasis added as if we're looking at the original release price of the Xbone as a guide for the XboneS then it would be north of £429, although how much extra you want to add for that "premium price" is up to you.

Thanks

Well he was obvoiusly talking about the Xbox slim so thats £249. Lets say the Scorpio is double that price.

Thanks

Yes he was, but what makes you think the XboneS is going to be the same price as the Xbone?
    Just found this Microsoft pre-order site that says it would be £349.99

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by jigger View Post
    Well he was obvoiusly talking about the Xbox slim so thats £249. Lets say the Scorpio is double that price.
    I'm thinking the Scorpio could launch at £399 myself and the XBox One S cut to £199 or lower in the Hols 2017. MS don't want to repeat the PS4/XBO 2013 launch, where the XBO was significantly more expensive. The PS4.5/Neo will have been out for a whole year too by that point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    AFAIK there isn't a single GPU in existence that will give you a smooth 60fps at 4k across a wide range of PC games; not even the £600+ GTX 1080. But then that's operating through a variety of abstractions that allow developers to target a wide range of hardware with the same code. With a console game you know *exactly* what hardware you're working with; you can use no end of methods to optimise performance and image quality with absolute certainty that they'll work on 100% of those consoles. PCs trade flexibility for lower relative performance. So I see no reason to think that a 6 TFlop GPU in a console won't be just fine for 4k gaming - they'll simply optimise the IQ and shaders to run quickly on the fixed hardware.
    But that is enough for me to be sceptical about the next consoles being decent 4K machines as opposed to "We'll put a 4K sticker on the box, but you'll be hard pressed to find any games made for that resolution" (kind of like 1080p on the X360/PS3).

My quick Googling suggests that there are no lack of XBOne games stuck at 720p/900p despite all the optimisations a console allows. The GTX 680, released 1.5 years ago before the XBOne/PS4, could run a huge majority of games at 1080p at around 60FPS, sometime even significantly above, on Ultra settings.

Given that the GTX 1080 is far less comfortable at 4K than the GTX 680 was at 1080p, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised and impressed if native 4K will be ready for prime time on the next consoles. But if I was to bet, I wouldn't bet on it.

Thanks

From the press releases I've seen so far, this refresh is about providing 4K playback for 4K streaming or Ultra HD. There is no sell/mention of gaming at 4K. Maybe it will up-scale HD games to 4K?

Blu-Ray sound quality has never been great on the Xbone - and nothing here suggests it will improve with 4K, so I would take that into consideration if buying for Ultra-HD playback. If you only have a 5.1 system, then it probably won't make much difference. Those that have 7.1 or ATMOS should look at the new PlayStation or a dedicated player.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

In their E3 pieces MS have made clear that the Xbone S will output 4k video, it will NOT output games at 4k. It was never intended to.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    ... My quick Googling suggests that there are no lack of XBOne games stuck at 720p/900p despite all the optimisations a console allows. ...
    XBOne only has 768 shaders running @ ~ 850MHz. It's slower than an R7 360 (which struggles to maintain 30fps at 1080p on PC), so it comes as no surprise that it can't support very high image quality levels at 1080p 60fps. There are plenty of XBOne games that do run at 1080p - at either 30fps or 60fps; that's a dev decision. Clearly some devs decided that their game would look better with higher IQ at a lower native res and then upscaled. As with all things in gaming, it depends on the game.

Scorpio isn't an incremental change. It's around a 5x boost to pure number crunching, and it's likely to get some architectural enhancements too. You're looking at the PC equivalent being an overclocked R9 390X. On a PC that's enough to maintain at least 30fps in a lot of games at 4k. So I'd extrapolate that we'll see plenty of games targeting 4k natively, at either 30fps or 60fps depending on the pace and complexity of the game. Undoubtedly there'll be developers who choose to target lower resolutions with higher levels of image quality to ensure a minimum 60fps, but that doesn't mean the console itself can't support 4k gaming. It means a developer is choosing to prioritise other concerns over native resolution.

Let's not make the mistake of defining "gaming" to mean "what I want from a game". Will Scoprpio run every game at native 4k/60fps? Seems unlikely. But that doesn't mean it won't support 4k gaming. As with all things in gaming, it depends on the game.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    In their E3 pieces MS have made clear that the Xbone S will output 4k video, it will NOT output games at 4k. It was never intended to.
    We aren't talking about the Xbox S (Slim versions) but the Xbox Scorpio. That machine will be 4-5 times more powerful than the Xbox One.

Thanks
    • mark_a_scott's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus RoG Rampage V Edition 10
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6950X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator DDR4-2400 128GB
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M2, 2TB Samsung 850 Evo, 2x 6TB WD Green, Blu-Ray Writer, DVD Writer
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x eVGA GTX980Ti 6GB in SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Vivid 200Mb/s

Will it actually be a 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information