Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woman is awarded $10k following unwanted Windows 10 upgrade

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Woman is awarded $10k following unwanted Windows 10 upgrade

She must be living a very quiet life to never have heard of Windows 10. Ah, the Americans.

Thanks

Meh, the windows 10 update icon has been sitting in my tray for both my work and other halfs home system for over 6 months. Frankly I don't understand this "I'm skynet, i'm converting you into a t-10 now..."

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    I also need the 10k to buy a GT1080
    Spoke my mind!

Registered+
    Thanks

Windows 10 suddenly appeared on my 81 year old dad's windows 7 computer. He didn't like it, decided to roll it back to Windows 7 using Microsoft's instructions. Computer failed to boot fully afterwards. He rang MS who basically told him "hard luck, mate, here's some people you can pay to sort it out...". He did, they haven't. Very frustrating and annoying.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX6800 16GB (XFX SWFT 319)
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Is it just me who has managed to avoid installing windows 10 without even engaging my brain?

I wills ay I have willingly installed it on most machines but my HTPC is staying 7.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

I had an old family friend phone me regarding it as she had been upgraded during an exam marking period and she needed Java to be able to use the web-site.

She had no idea that IE was still there as Edge is what's presented. I gave them instructions on how to find IE, told them to persevere but also how to roll back.

The upgrade notice shouldn't have taken a dismissal as an acceptance, and it was frankly nagware. I can understand why MS have done it, but it doesn't win them any favours with people.

Windows 10 is a good OS, the UI is still wanting, but it's improved on 8.1. I'd rather deal with the UI quirks with the better OS underneath than have the better UI with a less mature OS. Either way, I think that they could do a lot better with the UI.

Thanks

Why does MS do this? Do they want to set a record for the most hated OS in history?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by valhar2000 View Post
    ... Do they want to set a record for the most hated OS in history?
    I can tell you never had to use Win ME...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I can tell you never had to use Win ME...
    Never mind ME, what about Vista? And yes, I know "windows 7 was just a large service pack for Vista", blah, blah, blah,...

Actually, SwiftKey seems to have got worse since they got bought by MS, but maybe that's just coincidence.

Sent from my phone with Tapatalk

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Never mind ME, what about Vista? ...
    It's close, but I think ME was even more of a dog. I've heard Vista got much better after the first service pack (no, the real one, not Windows 7), but I'd already downgraded all my Vista machines to XP before that came out, and then the 7 beta was released so Vista become irrelevant.

Besides, at least Vista was the precursor to a good OS in Win 7 - a solid back end with some horrid UI decisions. ME was a slightly prettier front end and few "security" features plastered over the same base as Win 98, then dipped in treacle to make sure it oozed rather than ran. And let's also remember that there wasn't a better Windows released alongside Vista - ME was released alongside Win 2000, so MS even had a good OS shipping at the same time!

No, sorry. ME will always be the worst version of Windows.

Thanks
    • whatif's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel 4th gen NUC
      • CPU:
      • i3 4010u Intel NUC
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 2400MHz HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung XP941 256GB, 800GB Intel DC 3700
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel 4th gen i3 graphics
      • PSU:
      • Intle NUC power brick
      • Case:
      • Morex NUC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" or Samsung 32" TV
      • Internet:
      • Cable

I have just recently had to fix a friends laptop that automatically updated to windows 10.
    They are in their late 60's and are not fully tech savvy, example - I am still trying to get them to use basic keyboard shortcuts like print, copy, paste, et cetera, instead of having to use the touchpad.
    They had left their new laptop running overnight whilst it updated everything (brand new laptop just setup with all their software and using a slow ADSL line). When they went to it the next day it had updated from 8.1 to 10 by itself and some of their software did not work.
    There was nothing to warn them that it was going to occur, but it was left on, attached to the internet and unattended for well over 12 hours.
    They were very upset (old stock clearance and in their haste to make a sale, no sales staff had mentioned to be aware of the windows 10 update) and were going to take it back to the store for a refund, but it was Sunday. So they called me to find out why it had done this.
    Fortunately, because it was basically brand new, the reversion process itself was not a headache.
    As it will have some of their business stuff on it, firstly I disabled auto update and also included Acronis to do both a complete disc clone and a incremental daily backup for them just in case something like this happens again.
    Last edited by whatif; 11-07-2016 at 10:34 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

kerching, $10K for a "minor" annoyance.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 60fps View Post
    kerching, $10K for a "minor" annoyance.
    Presumably, you missed the bit where it was a business PC, and
    it ended up disrupting her travel agency business for days at a time.
    Not all upgrades work properly, as allegedly this one didn't, and not all pre-instalked software works post-upgrade. So if something important is disrupted, for days at a time, $10k could be barely covering losses. "kerching" is merely an assumption.

This is one reason why MS should get explicit, informed consent before making changes to user's machines, and the absence of doing so, with unavoidable updates, is one reason I'm not installing W10 on my machines at all.

Thanks
    • whatif's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel 4th gen NUC
      • CPU:
      • i3 4010u Intel NUC
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 2400MHz HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung XP941 256GB, 800GB Intel DC 3700
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel 4th gen i3 graphics
      • PSU:
      • Intle NUC power brick
      • Case:
      • Morex NUC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" or Samsung 32" TV
      • Internet:
      • Cable

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    It's close, but I think ME was even more of a dog. I've heard Vista got much better after the first service pack (no, the real one, not Windows 7), but I'd already downgraded all my Vista machines to XP before that came out, and then the 7 beta was released so Vista become irrelevant.

Besides, at least Vista was the precursor to a good OS in Win 7 - a solid back end with some horrid UI decisions. ME was a slightly prettier front end and few "security" features plastered over the same base as Win 98, then dipped in treacle to make sure it oozed rather than ran. And let's also remember that there wasn't a better Windows released alongside Vista - ME was released alongside Win 2000, so MS even had a good OS shipping at the same time!

No, sorry. ME will always be the worst version of Windows.
    No offence meant, but I had to giggle when reading this and then looking at your PC details.
    I suppose it all depends on your experiences.

I purchased a top of the range HP DV9000 laptop with vista ultimate for work and found so many problems running vista (when it would actually run - it would seize up all the time and it would take over 5 minutes to startup). So I tried the XP route, but lost some functions. So when win 7 came out I tried to upgrade, but lost even more functions. Examples of some functions lost included things like - the disc player no longer worked, the supplied remotes (one a original microsoft and the other a HP) and the infrared sensor stopped working, lost all audio output with win 7, the HP supplied PCMIA TV tuner would not work with anything except vista, the PCMIA slot would not work with win 7. I even paid out over $1500 for a new accounting program because the version I had was not compatible with vista.
    Unfortunately HP does not like to support their products properly and would not release any driver upgrades. So I was stuck with vista if I wanted the laptop to work.
    This OS quickly started to run as if someone was trying to run in 2 foot thick sticky mud. The only way to solve it was to reload vista every few months. It was also odd how they brought out a high end laptop with a 64 bit OS, but it only came with a 2GB ram maximum (from HP's tech department) - after trying every ram module I could find, I managed to get that up to 3GB - ridiculously short sighted.
    I contacted HP's customer service many times, but they were as helpful as a man short - it should have been called the customer disservice department as they flatly refused to assist and even told me I could pose the questions to other HP users on their forum. I needed updated, fully working drivers for either XP or Win 7, and I wanted to put in more than 2GB ram, so how were other users going to help. I did manage to partly fix some problems - eg - managed to get some audio, but it was so low in volume that I could barely hear it even when put through good amplified external speakers.
    So because of HP's handling of vista in this laptop, my opinion is that vista was the worst OS.
    I suppose other people have stories that are similar with other products and OS's.

But going back to when I first started with computers, having to operate them via punch cards and using languages like Fortran (short for “The IBM Mathematical Formula Translating System”) and Cobol (short for "Common Business-Oriented Language) were even worse when compared to any OS you name today. I hated the time spent writing out lines of code, then punching out the little holes only to find out your program would not run - sometimes a little punched out square from one card was enough to stop it from running. But you never knew - the hours I wasted going through shoe boxes full of cards multiple times, comparing them to the code, just to make sure you punched them out correctly, then you had to go through the code with a fine toothed comb if it still would not work - Aghhhh.
    Most young people today don't realise how good it is to have a working OS, even the slow glitchy ones.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

ME truly was a dreadful system. IIRC It was the last in the li e of the DOS/FAT based systems, but was a pale shade of its predecessor, Windows 98.

The first viable consumer version of Windows with NTFS was Windows 2000 (NT 4.3 was more corporate aimed) and is the basis of all the successor systems (with some tweaks) since then.

The real fun with punched cards came when you dropped the deck on the floor - that really brought home the meaning of search and sort!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    No offence meant, but I had to giggle when reading this and then looking at your PC details. ...
    Not entirely sure what my PC system has to do with your personal experience of HP driver support.

Current laptop works pretty much flawlessly under Win 10. My last HP laptop came with Vista pre-installed, and I ditched it back to Win XP without any issues at all. In between I've had laptops from a variety of vendors and manufacturers, none of which have had any significant issues. I suspect the issues you experienced were down to the particularl combination of hardware in that laptop - and that can affect any manufacturer: I tried to upgrade a friend's Sony Vaio from XP to Win 7 some years back, only to find that the SATA controller the laptop used didn't have Win 7 drivers and wasn't getting them, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    ME truly was a dreadful system. IIRC It was the last in the li e of the DOS/FAT based systems, but was a pale shade of its predecessor, Windows 98.

The first viable consumer version of Windows with NTFS was Windows 2000 ...
    All of this is basically true. IIRC Win ME was basically an attempt to take some of the stability and security features of the NT line and bolt them on top with Win 98 for the consumer market. It failed miserably. Win 2000 was technically never meant to be a consumer OS; it was meant to be the business OS that ran alongside Win ME in the consumer world. But Win ME was so bad that some consumers (and I imagine most enthusiasts) chose Win 2000 over it, and MS desperately rushed out a Win NT based consumer OS to replace ME. The rest, as they say, is history. Win 2000 remains my favourite Windows client OS to this day, though (and possibly my favourite Windows Server OS, too).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information