Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Dell bets on Windows 2-in-1s, gives up on Android tablets

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,043
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,939 times in 680 posts

    Dell bets on Windows 2-in-1s, gives up on Android tablets

    Made the decision due to market trends and the productivity Windows 2-in-1s can enable.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    17,147
    Thanks
    798
    Thanked
    2,151 times in 1,407 posts

    Re: Dell bets on Windows 2-in-1s, gives up on Android tablets

    The problem I have with most tablets, be them iPad, Andriod or WinRT was they could do say 80% well. But the gap on the other 20% was insufferable.

    A classic for many of them that's less of an issue now, but a few years ago made me so mad, was websites that rely on hover events, say move mouse and menu appears being completely incapable on a touch device. Surface solved that very nicely.

    I've been trying to use a SP3 as my non-gaming daily driver for 18 months now. I'm hitting limitations with only 8gb of RAM right now, so it's had to take a back seat to the 24gb desktop. But the fact is, I think an SP4 with 16gb would have managed.

    If we are at the point where I can drive a few high res screens, run heavy software, a SQL cluster in a VM heavy, all from a 'tablet' then why would I have another PC? What I want is more of a 'docking station' meaning comfy chair, desk, screens, keyboard etc.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife (Scotland)
    Posts
    4,991
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    220 times in 190 posts
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

    Re: Dell bets on Windows 2-in-1s, gives up on Android tablets

    Pardon my ignorance, but what's the two devices in the top picture? They look suspiciously like the (now defunct) Lenovo Yoga3 tablets.

    Actually, if they're stopping the Venue tablets (and I thought the Venue line also included Windows tablets too) does this mean that we can look forward to a few end-of-line bargains?

    Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wilmslow
    Posts
    801
    Thanks
    243
    Thanked
    144 times in 104 posts
    • mtyson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790T
      • Memory:
      • 12GB
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 128GB SSD + Kingston 500GB SSD + NAS etc
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 430W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5-inch VA QHD monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin fibre

    Re: Dell bets on Windows 2-in-1s, gives up on Android tablets

    Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's the two devices in the top picture? They look suspiciously like the (now defunct) Lenovo Yoga3 tablets.

    Actually, if they're stopping the Venue tablets (and I thought the Venue line also included Windows tablets too) does this mean that we can look forward to a few end-of-line bargains?
    The Android tablets pictured are Dell Venue 10 7000 Android models, as reviewed here.

  5. Received thanks from:

    crossy (01-07-2016)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •