Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: QOTW: How do you feel after the EU referendum?

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Re: QOTW: How do you feel after the EU referendum?

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    I am ecstatic.
    This East European mass immigration has been going on for quite a while and has badly affected the quality of our society. Did they really think that this would continue forever ? How long before the twig snaps? And, it snapped it has!
    The people have spoken and have shown that they are not to be ignored.
    I couldn't find the actual impact report from the immigration of Eastern Europeans but the impact wasn't like what you or the tabloids have said; its been extremely positive and if I remember correctly even crime statistics were lower in areas with high migration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26435000

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-arti...EU-immigration
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

2. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (02-07-2016)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • cokker's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 GPC A/C
      • CPU:
      • AMD R7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Adata Spectrix D60G 3000 @ 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD / 512GB NVME / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD RX 5700 XT Reference
      • PSU:
      • Super Flower Leadex 3 650W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks P350x
      • Operating System:
      • Microshaft Winhoes 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama ProLite XUB3493WQSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • Yes Down / Yes Up

Deeply embarrassed and ashamed.

I love my European friends but I feel like someone has accused me of being xenophobic in front of them...

I live next to family from Lithuania, lovely people. They get me chocolate for cutting the grass as we share a front garden. I feel like I have to explain myself for goodness sake.
    Last edited by cokker; 01-07-2016 at 09:01 PM.

4. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (02-07-2016),D-T (08-07-2016),Queelis (03-07-2016)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    I am ecstatic.
    This East European mass immigration has been going on for quite a while and has badly affected the quality of our society. Did they really think that this would continue forever ? How long before the twig snaps? And, it snapped it has!
    The people have spoken and have shown that they are not to be ignored.
    By badly, do you mean bad in like a really good way? (the proven economic and social improvement for eg?)

6. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (02-07-2016),Pleiades (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Quote Originally Posted by cokker View Post
    Deeply embarrassed and ashamed.

I love my European friends but I feel like someone has accused me of being xenophobic in front of them...

I live next to family from Lithuania, lovely people. They get me chocolate for cutting the grass as we share a front garden. I feel like I have to explain myself for goodness sake.
    I do see the future as better outside the EU.

As for the above I certainly do want to stop more immigration but in no way do I want to send them all home, likewise I would still welcome immigration to fill skills gaps.

But the current import of low skill workers has lead to a race to the bottom for wages in the unskilled markets, I do have a polish friend who earns more here stacking shelves than he did in TV production back home.

I don't blame them, if I could quit my high skilled job and have a better standard of life in another country flipping burgers I would be gone.

The problem with the freedom of movement in the EU is not all countries are equal which has lead to many leaving the poorer countries and heading for the richer countries (UK included).

As for the racism/hate crime which seems to be up, I am truly embarrassed, it seems the scum of out communities has come out thinking 52% of the people are like them.

With that we do need to tackle the chav culture in this country, which would easier if eastern Europeans stopped doing the jobs they refused to as they would then have to do them or lose there benefits, anyway thats another conversation.

8. Received thanks from:

cokker (01-07-2016),Pleiades (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    • [DW]Cougho's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.3 1900 FLCK
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group DDR4 @ 3800 C16
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 870 EVO NVME & 1TB Samsung 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT-05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 1

Devastated and embarrassed to be British and in particular English.

I'm fairly safe in terms of my job I would think (as safe as anyone can be!) but I feel for those who aren't so fortunate. I'm squirreling away money as it's a very real possibility I may leave the UK - I don't feel the views of British people are compatible with mine in general. Shame, I've only recently bought my first house and I'm enjoying life here in general.

On the brightside I'm likely to be eligible for Irish citizenship and I'm seriously considering taking that up.

10. Received thanks from:

D-T (08-07-2016)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

How do I feel?
    Ashamed, angry, disheartened and lighter of pocket
    Ashamed because - like many of my fellow Scotland-dwellers - I voted to stay. Like Eddie Izzard says, it's not the British way to run and hide ... instead we stay and sort the darned thing out. (As, I believe from comments I've read, many of the Germans assumed we would). Further shame because I end up having to agree with the darned SNP.

Angry because it seems that (horrible generalisation coming) quite a few of the Leave folks are now dismayed because it turns out that Goove, Johnny boy and Fabbage had ... how do I put it ... been highly economical with the truth. Particularly in the "yes, we'll control immigration and give the NHS oodles of money" ... "ah actually, we can't and we won't".

Disheartened because we've rabbitted away rather than standing and fighting (as we should have goldarnit) and a number of companies (my current employer included) are now reconsidering investment in the UK because putting it in an EU country is financially better sense.

Lighter of pocket because those cretins have managed to tank the GBP just before I go on holiday - way to go guys!

The only upside for me is that it makes those reprobates in UKIP hopefully out of a job now... but that's small consolation.

Interesting comment piece here, so much so that Miguel de Icaza retweeted it.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

12. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (02-07-2016),D-T (08-07-2016)

Thanks

interesting to see earlier - because the pound has dropped 1 company ceo said they were now on for a record year as export orders had increased!

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    interesting to see earlier - because the pound has dropped 1 company ceo said they were now on for a record year as export orders had increased!
    Works great, so long as you don't need to import anything to make the thing that you're selling.

15. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (02-07-2016)

Thanks

Glad I am on the other side of the globe right now. The strengthened yen will also benefits me when I make a short trip to the UK next month (no strong desire of staying longer than I need to right now).

Yet disappointed by more things that I can be bothered to describe at this point.

The "hope" that leave voters are trying to sell is also rather hard to buy after finding out that the those leading the leave campaign had no plan to make things work.

Bit like driving down an icy, rocky, narrow mountain road (i.e lots of immediate dangers and uncertainties), while blindfolded (no plan), hoping everything will work out for the best.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    I heard that a single arbitrage fund made £221M on the night of the referendum, trading the £.

Definitely going to be some winners out of this.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

I'm ashamed to have heritage from this sorry island, and glad to be able to identify as African having grown up on the continent.

1 for nationalistic fervor - 0 for cooperation (at least in Europe).

I need some work experience (Civil Engineering student) and I'm now considering using the family I have back home to live with while I get some site based work experience. I'm also seriously considering whether living in the Northern Hemisphere is a good idea.

Lastly I'm glad I didn't waste any money on becoming a British citizen... who knows what good that is going to be in the future now.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Personally I am still very disappointed with our population, and am still embarrassed to be "British" if this is what it means. We're already in more of a mess politically, and I can only see things getting worse when the "real" impact of Brexit is felt over the next 10 years. It's almost unbelievable that 51.9% of the population that voted could stiff the rest of us this much.

I'm sure we'll be fine in the long run, but we would have been just as fine (if not better) if we had not stuck a big two fingers up to the rest of Europe and the rest of the government. I have a fair amount of respect for Theresa May (who is all but certain to be our next PM now), but I don't think she'll be any better than Cameron tbh.

I'll stop typing now before I go on a rant.

Thanks

Honestly it really does depend on where you live.
    I live near areas with high immigration and I've seen local towns turn into no go areas at certain times of the day because of the way some of them act so saying foreign migration has been positive isn't completely true. There's also been a sharp increase in murders which were very rare and pretty much every time one is mentioned in the paper it's linked to a 'foreign name' from the EU.

Now I'm not saying they're all like this because I've got people from the EU who live near me who are lovely people and work a lot harder (they've said straight they work hard to afford everything etc) than the 'British' people on the same estate who pretty much all claim benefits and live a life of luxury.

If you live in major cities, especially London, multi cultural life is a different ball game and is all part of day to day life but if you go outside of this it just doesn't work as well because of the way non city communities work, something the government (and city dwellers) seems to forget

As to trade, personally I can't see it being a major issue whether we're in or out in the long term because we buy more from the EU than we sell to them (actually decreasing) so from a trade perspective it will hurt the EU just as much to not 'keep free trade'. Not to mention we can now trade anywhere without EU restrictions etc and set our own trade rates, from what I've seen we've already had several countries wanting to discuss trade deals with the UK since the Brexit announcement. Don't forget places like India and China are the growing economies and they LOVE British stuff supposedly, you very rarely hear them say that about the rest of the EU.

If the Government is any good they'll ensure good deals for major international companies employing foreign workers like MS/Google etc. But we do need to be able to set limits on how many come into this country, we can't maintain the current rate of expansion on the population, it's that simple. Ideally I'd like to see an Australian system employed where you can't come to work without already having a job lined up etc.

If I'm being completely honest I think the biggest problem we've got now is the government itself and the bloke in charge of the Bank of England. The 'leave' Conservatives (it really should be a leave person become PM now) are all stabbing each other in the back, Labour have a complete idiot for a leader who just doesn't understand he's a laughing stock and then we've got the Scottish PM trying to get her own little country again...
    Now the bloke in charge (not even British) of the Bank of England is just not saying anything positive about the pound despite the shares going back up to close to what they were within a week so the value of the pound stays low.

xyt
    Thanks

Unhappy and ashamed. Leaving is clearly economically illiterate. The Brexit sales pitch of access to the single market but no free movement of labour has always been bull#### and will not be achieved. The pledge for extra money for the NHS has already been abandoned. Our political system is in disarray and we have no plan for our future. Many Europeans are demonstrably hostile towards us. Hate crime has rocketed.

We are a resilient country but we have just shot ourselves in the collective foot. We are running a huge budget defecit, have very poor labour productivity numbers which has been worsening over time, have undermined some core industries (i.e. banking and insurance). Our international power isn't anything like what it was.

Brexit is the wrong answer to a genuine set of problems which we should be tackling instead of spending the next 5 years sorting out this mess.

22. Received thanks from:

Marenghi (02-07-2016),Pleiades (02-07-2016),wazzickle (01-07-2016)

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Quote Originally Posted by xyt View Post
    The pledge for extra money for the NHS has already been abandoned.
    I was under no illusion that it was sold as a possability, of course as the leave campaign don't run the country all they could put forward are the possabilities which would be open to the government.

As for the 'NHS pledge", if I remember correctly the bus said: We send the EU £350million a week, let's fund our NHS instead.

Yet again, its saying we could spend the money on the NHS, not we will. Its down to the government to decide once were out.

Thanks

Slightly prouder of my British origins and hopeful for the future for my extended family who still live there.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread Information