Thread: Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0 rumoured to support 28W

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0 rumoured to support 28W

The current Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 tech tops out at 18W.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0 rumoured to support 28W

Boo! Hiss!

I wish phone makers would just stop supporting these manufacturer specific charging standards and stick to USB Power Delivery (which is good for up to 100W by the way).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    Boo! Hiss!

I wish phone makers would just stop supporting these manufacturer specific charging standards and stick to USB Power Delivery (which is good for up to 100W by the way).
    That 100w number for USB power delivery doesn't take into account how fast the battery can charge, it's just a brute force, "how much power can we put through this cable before it starts overheating" number. These specs are about moderating how much of that 100w goes in so your phone doesn't blow up.

Thanks

I hear that Google might put a stop to these in Nougat anyway
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • globalwarning's system
      • CPU:
      • AMD 1090T
      • Memory:
      • RIP JAW DDR3 1600 4x4GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 7950 OC (Boost)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 750W
      • Case:
      • Old crap
      • Operating System:
      • Window 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns-G 281DPB

Quote Originally Posted by HW90 View Post
    Boo! Hiss!

That 100w number for USB power delivery doesn't take into account how fast the battery can charge, it's just a brute force, "how much power can we put through this cable before it starts overheating" number. These specs are about moderating how much of that 100w goes in so your phone doesn't blow up.
    But wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to have a special charger, and all that was taken care of internally? Plug into any USB, and it automatically pulls the maximum safe current/voltage based on what the source can provide? Use any charger with any phone? Sigh... "I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me."

Thanks
    • [DW]Cougho's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.3 1900 FLCK
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group DDR4 @ 3800 C16
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 870 EVO NVME & 1TB Samsung 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760
      • Case:
      • Silverstone FT-05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 1

While it would be ideal to have a standard for these quick charging methods they are really useful to have. My Xiaomi Mi5 has Qualcomm Quick charge 3.0 and with a compatible charger it's brilliant - I only really use it when I'm short on time (I suspect using it all the time wouldn't be much good for the battery) but it's nice to know you can have a charge will last a full day of use in just 15 minutes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by globalwarning View Post
    Boo! Hiss!

But wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to have a special charger, and all that was taken care of internally? Plug into any USB, and it automatically pulls the maximum safe current/voltage based on what the source can provide? Use any charger with any phone? Sigh... "I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me."
    Ermm, that's how each and every phone, ever, has always done with every charger of any kind.

The 100w max of USB-PD requires special certified cables with signed microchips inside, and we all know how that goes...

Fact with QC QC is it's a gap-bridging technology, it was around and far more widespread before USB-PD was formalized, and ironically it's more compatible. Any Quick Charge capable charger will work with any Quick Charge compatible phone, whereas USB-PD will not, because of differing optional voltage levels and manufacturers who simply disallow use of chargers not made by them. It's also a heck of a lot easier right now to find third-party/portable USB chargers that support Quick Charge than it is to find a USB Power Delivery one.

Much like Intel's Centrino branding, a big marketing push by a dominant market player was the only thing that made manufacturers sit up and implement a decent, standardized setup to begin with, even if that "standard" was Qualcomm licensed.

P.S. Quick Charge is not manufacturer specific. Any manufacturer can use it, and it does not need to involve any Qualcomm hardware in your device. Samsung Exynos phones implement it just fine, for example.
    Last edited by qasdfdsaq; 10-11-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks

Whilst Quickcharge is not specific you do have to pay a licence fee and the Exynos chips only support Quikcharge 2 not 3
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Boo! Hiss!

That 100w number for USB power delivery doesn't take into account how fast the battery can charge, it's just a brute force, “how much power can we put through this cable before it starts overheating” number. These specs are about moderating how much of that 100w goes in so your phone doesn't blow up.
    That's nonsense, the USB Power Delivery 2.0 spec includes all the signalling and negotiation protocols to deliver however much the device requests. Obviously most phones won't be able to manage the full 100W due to heat issues, but it's available to anything that can.
    http://www.usb.org/developers/powerdelivery/
    http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

Stuff like Qualcomm's quickcharge isn't any sort of additional refinement or attempt to build on the technology. It's purely an alternative implementation of the same thing.

I'm not an electrical engineer so I can't speak of the relative merits of the two implementations but from what I had read they seem almost identical. It's hard not to think that it's just phone manufacturers trying to do business as usual, pointless fragmentation just to tie the user to their products rather than benefiting us.

Quote Originally Posted by [DW
    Cougho;6011]While it would be ideal to have a standard for these quick charging methods
    We have the standard, we just need phone manufacturers to implement them.

Thread Information