Thread: G.SKILL boosts Ripjaws KM570 MX keyboard with MX Silver keys

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

G.SKILL boosts Ripjaws KM570 MX keyboard with MX Silver keys

As Corsair's 6 month exclusivity period for these Cherry keyswitches ends.
    Read more.

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Re: G.SKILL boosts Ripjaws KM570 MX keyboard with MX Silver keys

I'm in the market for a new keyboard, but I've always avoided mechanical because there's just too much choice, there is no consensus that 1 is better than all the others, and I'm not willing to shell out 100 bloody quid only to find out I threw my hat in the wrong ring.

With the silvers though, it seems like these are the all rounder, anyone own em, have an opinion ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    I'm in the market for a new keyboard, but I've always avoided mechanical because there's just too much choice, there is no consensus that 1 is better than all the others, and I'm not willing to shell out 100 bloody quid only to find out I threw my hat in the wrong ring.

With the silvers though, it seems like these are the all rounder, anyone own em, have an opinion ?
    I don't own these, but I do have an opinion. IMO the MX Browns are the best all-rounder for people who type and game. If Cherry made a "Metallic Brown" that had the shorter actuation with a tactile bump those would probably be my go-to.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • TooTay's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X99S Krait Edition
      • CPU:
      • i7-5820k 4.5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Avexir DDR4 3000
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x GTX Titan X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Case:
      • Case labs SMA8
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XB270HU
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post

I own the K65 RGB which has these "speed" switches and I love it, it's primarily targeted at gamers due to how fast it is and for this purpose it's great. You are right in saying there is no true consensus on which switch is best as it's down to personal preference but, I would say this speed switch is definitely not an all rounder and that accolade falls on to the brown switch.

There are two main things to consider in choosing your mechanical key switch and that's activation force (how hard you have to press the key to move it) and activation distance (how far down the key has to travel before it registers), you will have to get used to typing on this speed switch as it's extremely common for you to make typos intially, this is due to the activation distance of the switch being really short, for example if you slightly brush a key opposite to the one you pressed it is going to register it. I've found that using this keyboard has changed the way in which I type and it's forced me to become more accurate, for gaming I love it as I said, it feels so light and responsive when I'm playing something like Overwatch but I could see it potentially causing issues in RTS games.

My first mechanical keyboard was a brown switch one which I used for about 4 years and I still like it, I would say it's more consistent for typing on and in terms of activation/actuation it's the middle of the road key switch. I wanted something that felt a bit more responsive/faster/lighter etc when it came to gaming as I found sometimes I was pressing the key too lightly on the browns and it wasn't registering it, this is not a problem with the speed switch.

So while it can be confusing initially due to how many switches there are, all you really need to know is that they are primarily separated by there activation force and activation distance, I'd say you can't go wrong with picking a brown switch keyboard as your first mechanical and if you wanted something a bit more "responsive" then I'd go with a red/speed switch, the difference between the two being that the red switch has like .6mm more travel before it activates.

Mechanicals are not cheap as you pointed out but, you can purchase key switch testers which will allow you to get a feel for the switches and let you decide which one you like before you invest the £ on them

Here is one for example https://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Keyboar...+switch+tester
    Last edited by TooTay; 17-11-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Thread Information