Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,240
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,006 times in 711 posts

    Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

    Reveals that 3D XPoint memory will cost about four to five times more than NAND.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Last Aerie
    Posts
    10,857
    Thanks
    645
    Thanked
    872 times in 736 posts
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

    Re: Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

    That's a FAR cry from the "cheaper than NAND" line they were touting at the end of last year.

    Inability to factor costs correctly or taking the industry for a ride?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,780
    Thanks
    157
    Thanked
    345 times in 278 posts
    • badass's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-m pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG02-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del U2311, LG226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 80/20 FTTC

    Re: Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    That's a FAR cry from the "cheaper than NAND" line they were touting at the end of last year.

    Inability to factor costs correctly or taking the industry for a ride?
    Except they weren't. The line was "cheaper than DRAM"
    "In a perfect world... spammers would get caught, go to jail, and share a cell with many men who have enlarged their penises, taken Viagra and are looking for a new relationship."

  4. #4
    Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Last Aerie
    Posts
    10,857
    Thanks
    645
    Thanked
    872 times in 736 posts
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

    Re: Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

    Quote Originally Posted by badass View Post
    Except they weren't. The line was "cheaper than DRAM"
    How much faster is the 3D XPoint non-volatile memory? Intel and Micron claim it offers an astonishing speed of "up to 1,000 times faster than NAND". Furthermore the new chips are ten times denser than conventional memory, thanks to the 3D structure and transistor-less design. The good news doesn't stop there as Intel and Micron scientists created the new chips to offer 1,000 times the endurance of NAND, lower power usage and to be more economical to produce.

    So, they did say that.

    Source
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,784
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    166 times in 139 posts

    Re: Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

    I'm surprised at the cost to be honest.... but it should still be a good advance in tech
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    524
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    55 times in 31 posts

    Re: Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

    The cost is the biggest downer here. Effectively DRAM pricing for Storage performance. You could get 200GB of this for the price of 100GB of DRAM - many would go for the DRAM.

    Sure, it's a factor of two cheaper than DRAM, and it's an order of magnitude lower latency than SSD (10x, not 1000x faster), but it's still 3 orders of magnitude higher latency than DRAM. Bandwidth wasn't mentioned, but over PCIe it's going to be far lower than DRAM too.

    But, every advance starts like this, and then costs come down, densities go up, and performance improves. In 5 years time this may be ready for prosumers!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    275
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    10 times in 4 posts
    • whatif's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel 4th gen NUC
      • CPU:
      • i3 4010u Intel NUC
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 2400MHz HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung XP941 256GB, 800GB Intel DC 3700
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel 4th gen i3 graphics
      • PSU:
      • Intle NUC power brick
      • Case:
      • Morex NUC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq 24" or Samsung 32" TV
      • Internet:
      • Cable

    Re: Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

    "Previously Intel has indicated that 3D Xpoint offers up to 10x the density of NAND so the tech will enable smaller, higher capacity storage devices."

    OK, given how small storage media is getting - msata and M.2, and how they now have 256GB micro SD cards, so does this mean we will be having large storage devices smaller in size than micro SD cards? That is no good, I have already misplaced a couple of micro SD cards because they are so small. I will end up having to use a magnifying glass when doing a new build in 2020-21. :-)
    Hopefully by then the cost will be more consumer friendly.
    Laughs aside, that is a good leap forward in development.

  8. #8
    Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Last Aerie
    Posts
    10,857
    Thanks
    645
    Thanked
    872 times in 736 posts
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

    Re: Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

    Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    "Previously Intel has indicated that 3D Xpoint offers up to 10x the density of NAND so the tech will enable smaller, higher capacity storage devices."

    OK, given how small storage media is getting - msata and M.2, and how they now have 256GB micro SD cards, so does this mean we will be having large storage devices smaller in size than micro SD cards? That is no good, I have already misplaced a couple of micro SD cards because they are so small. I will end up having to use a magnifying glass when doing a new build in 2020-21. :-)
    Hopefully by then the cost will be more consumer friendly.
    Laughs aside, that is a good leap forward in development.
    I actually put unused MicroSD cards in SD card adapters so that they are harder to lose!!

    Not looking forward to NanoSD cards
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

  9. #9
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gateshead
    Posts
    15,199
    Thanks
    1,230
    Thanked
    2,291 times in 1,874 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I actually put unused MicroSD cards in SD card adapters so that they are harder to lose!! ...
    Glad to know I'm not the only one I also have a tiny little USB - MicroSD adapter that I use for the same purpose. It's grand apart from when I'm looking for a specific card and have to take them all out of the adapters to find out what size they are

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Taichung City
    Posts
    863
    Thanks
    261
    Thanked
    152 times in 110 posts
    • mtyson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790T
      • Memory:
      • 12GB
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 128GB SSD + Kingston 500GB SSD + NAS etc
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 430W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5-inch VA QHD monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin fibre

    Re: Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

    PCPer has a picture of the Micron QuantX XPoint prototype SSD. Embedded it below...


  11. #11
    Banned - repeated insults to other members
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 3 posts

    Re: Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

    Quote Originally Posted by sykobee View Post
    The cost is the biggest downer here. Effectively DRAM pricing for Storage performance. You could get 200GB of this for the price of 100GB of DRAM - many would go for the DRAM.

    Sure, it's a factor of two cheaper than DRAM, and it's an order of magnitude lower latency than SSD (10x, not 1000x faster), but it's still 3 orders of magnitude higher latency than DRAM. Bandwidth wasn't mentioned, but over PCIe it's going to be far lower than DRAM too.

    Then you're totally missing the point. You belong to the dinosaur era of mechanical harddisks where upgrading any PC means "add RAM".

    Based on any workload, there is only so much RAM you need. Adding 100GB of RAM to a PC that only shows 10GB of RAM utilisation (with say 16GB of RAM onboard) does nothing except add cost.

    Adding 3D XPoint though increases the speed of the slowest part of the system (i.e. the flash storage) by 1000 times. Bottleneck gone.

    Its like when you first upgrade the mechanical harddisk drive of a 2 year old PC with any kind of SSD. Even though everything else remains the same, the thing feels like it flies.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Xlucine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,062
    Thanks
    278
    Thanked
    177 times in 140 posts
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

    Re: Micron demos its 3D XPoint memory packing QuantX SSDs

    Quote Originally Posted by preter_s View Post
    Then you're totally missing the point. You belong to the dinosaur era of mechanical harddisks where upgrading any PC means "add RAM".

    Based on any workload, there is only so much RAM you need. Adding 100GB of RAM to a PC that only shows 10GB of RAM utilisation (with say 16GB of RAM onboard) does nothing except add cost.

    Adding 3D XPoint though increases the speed of the slowest part of the system (i.e. the flash storage) by 1000 times. Bottleneck gone.

    Its like when you first upgrade the mechanical harddisk drive of a 2 year old PC with any kind of SSD. Even though everything else remains the same, the thing feels like it flies.
    RAM drives are a thing

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •