Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 24

Thread: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,921
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,865 times in 638 posts

    Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    The £4.99 cost of a convenient ordering button is taken off your first Amazon order.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    I really don't care Dashers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked
    118 times in 96 posts
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.5" 1080 IPS 72Hz OC
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    Nice idea, although I'd rather it just updated a notepad document on my NAS for me to take shopping at Sainsburys.

    I'll stick to my mobile phone.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    1,724
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked
    248 times in 183 posts
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus GRYPHON Z87
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K @4.8Ghz Corsair H100i GTX
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb G.Skill TridentX 2400 @ CAS9
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb + Many, many HDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980Ti FTW
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750W
      • Case:
      • be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)
      • Operating System:
      • Win10, Fedora
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell U2515H 1440p DELL U3415W Ultrawide for Work
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Unlimited 80Mb

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    Great that I can now order a fiesta at the push of a button

    Fine publication.

    Should sell it in an Andrex/Olay triple-pack


    On a serious note, seem like a fairly good idea (my first thought was exploitable gimmick, but the pricing model is right and looks like you can't be bankrupted by click-happy kids). A customiseable version would be good (configure it with the product ID and print your own label). Ideal for recordable media or printer ink.

  4. #4
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,283
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked
    148 times in 103 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Crucial Ballastix Elite DDR3 @1866
      • Storage:
      • 64Gb M4 + 240Gb arc100 + 2x500Gb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W Semi modular
      • Case:
      • NZXT Source S340 Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~30Mb

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    I can see the idea but surely people too busy to buy such products the usual supermarket way aren't free to take deliveries at random points in the day... Until they solve a way to take deliveries at a house without being in it just looks like a gimmick to me...

    On a side note - Wonder if these can be reflashed to do other jobs...
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  5. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by virtuo View Post
    Great that I can now order a fiesta at the push of a button

    Fine publication.

    Should sell it in an Andrex/Olay triple-pack


    On a serious note, seem like a fairly good idea (my first thought was exploitable gimmick, but the pricing model is right and looks like you can't be bankrupted by click-happy kids). A customiseable version would be good (configure it with the product ID and print your own label). Ideal for recordable media or printer ink.
    I'd give a real consideration for one to get printer ink

  6. #6
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,044
    Thanks
    1,194
    Thanked
    2,246 times in 1,847 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    I believe there's a Dash button API so you can indeed customise them, although I can't find the article I read about it off hand...

    EDIT:

    Special customisable button: https://aws.amazon.com/iot/button/
    I believe you can program it to do almost anything as long as the target is "connected"...

  7. #7
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,283
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked
    148 times in 103 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Crucial Ballastix Elite DDR3 @1866
      • Storage:
      • 64Gb M4 + 240Gb arc100 + 2x500Gb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W Semi modular
      • Case:
      • NZXT Source S340 Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~30Mb

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I believe there's a Dash button API so you can indeed customise them, although I can't find the article I read about it off hand...

    EDIT:

    Special customisable button: https://aws.amazon.com/iot/button/
    I believe you can program it to do almost anything as long as the target is "connected"...
    Cheers ScaryJim - interesting but this quote from link you posted worries me:
    "How long will the battery last?

    The battery should last for approximately 1,000 presses. When the device battery runs out of charge, there is no way to recharge or replace the battery."

    Does this mean more electronic junk with each one of these buttons (not just the programmable one)? Seems very wasteful.
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    1,724
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked
    248 times in 183 posts
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus GRYPHON Z87
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K @4.8Ghz Corsair H100i GTX
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb G.Skill TridentX 2400 @ CAS9
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb + Many, many HDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980Ti FTW
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750W
      • Case:
      • be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)
      • Operating System:
      • Win10, Fedora
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell U2515H 1440p DELL U3415W Ultrawide for Work
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Unlimited 80Mb

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    Cheers ScaryJim - interesting but this quote from link you posted worries me:
    "How long will the battery last?

    The battery should last for approximately 1,000 presses. When the device battery runs out of charge, there is no way to recharge or replace the battery."

    Does this mean more electronic junk with each one of these buttons (not just the programmable one)? Seems very wasteful.
    Shame as they are just regular batteries in there, ultrasonicsonic welded cases though so you'll destroy the casing opening it up - wouldn't take much for amazon to just add clips:

    https://mpetroff.net/2016/07/new-ama...ardown-jk29lp/


    Thinking about it, 1000 purchases of stuff like washing powder will see you many years anyway, and the cost of the buttons is technically zero as long as you use them. I have since read elsewhere that some smart appliances can in theory talk directly to them as well, so your fancy fridge could order a replacement water filter (for example) a few days before it's due to run out.

    I also saw that the "payload" that gets sent to Amazon is very simple JSON with a device ID - so as long as the source MAC address isn't validated you could whip up a simple NFC based app to do the same thing from your phone. Which sounds more flexible.
    Last edited by virtuo; 31-08-2016 at 04:33 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Smudger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    3,674
    Thanks
    579
    Thanked
    537 times in 399 posts
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by virtuo View Post
    Great that I can now order a fiesta at the push of a button

    Fine publication.
    Maybe team it up with the one beginning with D, for when you're feeling posh.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    320
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked
    21 times in 18 posts

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    Don't shop around. Don't support your local businesses. Only buy from us. Good citizen.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,293
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked
    64 times in 53 posts
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3700x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Silicon Power NVME + 2x 4tb Raid 0 (2tbx2) arrays with 250gb Silicon Power NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Talk Talk!

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    Nobody else seen the durex one, get that stuck on your bedside cabinet!

  12. #12
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    I use a sophisticated JIT (just-in-time) inventory management, update and control system with automatic monitoring.

    What? Oh, a pen and list.

    Why JIT? Because I usually remember to get to the shop just in time.

    Actually, my system is a bit more complex. Normally, I keep a 'reserve' item(s) in the pantry, storeroom or freezer, depending on what it is, and when I get the reserve out and start using it, I put it on the Version 1.0 list and replace it.

    The sophisticted bit is my advanced technology, called "a brain" that has a pretty damn good grasp of how many of an item I use per day, week, etc, for high-use items, and I actually keep several if just having one in reserve would leave insufficient time to replace, so it goes on the list when the amount in stock approaches the amount used in the availabls lead time before the next shop run.

    And I manage it all without sticking stupid buttons all over the house.

    I mean, really? Are people really getting this pathetic, this inept?

    Dear Deity in Nirvana, whatever next.

  13. #13
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,113
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked
    1,043 times in 887 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by virtuo View Post
    Thinking about it, 1000 purchases of stuff like washing powder will see you many years anyway, ...
    Perhaps that is an estimate based on a 7 year battery life.

    But they are using Duracell, so in 7 years time the insides will be covered in battery gunk and best left sealed up. They should have stuck to Energizer, could have dremelled it open and re-used it then.

  14. #14
    Admin team peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    19,381
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts
    • peterb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Nascom 2
      • CPU:
      • Z80B
      • Memory:
      • 48K 8 bit memory on separate card
      • Storage:
      • Audio cassette tape - home built 5.25" floppy drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • text output (composite video)
      • PSU:
      • Home built
      • Case:
      • Home built
      • Operating System:
      • Nas-sys
      • Monitor(s):
      • 12" monocrome composite video input
      • Internet:
      • No networking capability on this machine

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I use a sophisticated JIT (just-in-time) inventory management, update and control system with automatic monitoring.

    What? Oh, a pen and list.

    Why JIT? Because I usually remember to get to the shop just in time.

    Actually, my system is a bit more complex. Normally, I keep a 'reserve' item(s) in the pantry, storeroom or freezer, depending on what it is, and when I get the reserve out and start using it, I put it on the Version 1.0 list and replace it.

    The sophisticted bit is my advanced technology, called "a brain" that has a pretty damn good grasp of how many of an item I use per day, week, etc, for high-use items, and I actually keep several if just having one in reserve would leave insufficient time to replace, so it goes on the list when the amount in stock approaches the amount used in the availabls lead time before the next shop run.

    And I manage it all without sticking stupid buttons all over the house.

    I mean, really? Are people really getting this pathetic, this inept?

    Dear Deity in Nirvana, whatever next.
    This (and Anazon Dash) is only stop-gap technology. When your fridge and cupboards have barcode scanners on them, you'll be able to scan items in and out and preset your default stock level, and preselect a supermarket of your choice - better still, replace the bar scanner with an RFID tag, then it removes the need to scan anything.











    Oh, wait

    Wouldn't work for aluminium foil though - oh well, back to the back of the envelope for the next design....
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  15. #15
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,044
    Thanks
    1,194
    Thanked
    2,246 times in 1,847 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    ... When your fridge and cupboards have barcode scanners on them, you'll be able to scan items in and out and preset your default stock level, and preselect a supermarket of your choice - better still, replace the bar scanner with an RFID tag, then it removes the need to scan anything. ...
    And weight sensitive shelves, so every time you take something out then put it back it can work out how much you've used. Just think of the research possibilities in terms of optmising the restocking schedule for the minimum number of deliveries...

  16. #16
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: Amazon Dash Buttons are now available in the UK

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    This (and Anazon Dash) is only stop-gap technology. When your fridge and cupboards have barcode scanners on them, you'll be able to scan items in and out and preset your default stock level, and preselect a supermarket of your choice - better still, replace the bar scanner with an RFID tag, then it removes the need to scan anything.

    ...
    That conjures up a mental image of me buying some new concoction to try, the fridge detecting it, and despite me deciding I really wasn't very impressed, ending up with permanently being resupplied because my bleeping fridge keeps reordering it for me. No doubt after the fridge reorders, Amazon drones will deliver and drop it through the chimney, where the tidyness bot will immediately "help" me by putting it in the fridge or freezer, and I won't be able to dig fresh carrots out of the garden because the door SmartLock will decide it's too cold, or too hot, or something, out in the workd and "protect" me by refusing to open.

    As I suspect you know, or at least should guess, few things appal me more than the notion of "smart" devices like fridges monitoring what I put in them and commincating directly with Amazon or any other retailer. No, no, no and oh hell, no.

    The only way my energy supplier is even putting a smart meter in my home is if it's legally mandatory or they refuse to supply, and even then, I'll be trying to find a practical and affordable way of being energy self-sufficient first.

    Smart fridge? Over my dead body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •