Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7th Generation AMD A-Series desktop PC systems start to ship

Thanks

Re: 7th Generation AMD A-Series desktop PC systems start to ship

Last time I looked toward the end of the year. Probably December.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Pictures of the Athlon X4 950 leaked:

https://gigglehd.com/gg/hard/311514

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jigger View Post
    Last time I looked toward the end of the year. Probably December.
    Actually, Lisa Su has said that a few may be released to the market at the end of the year, but volume shipping wont happen until some time in 2017. They are going to get a very small sample out so they can claim they met their deadline.

There are a few articles out there that quote Lisa Su on this, like this one from Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-zen-launch-2016-2017,32314.html

Personally, I don't think we'll see decent numbers of Summit Ridge chips available for retail until Q2 2017 at the earliest. AND have a very long track record of slipping dates.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAudio View Post
    AND have a very long track record of slipping dates.
    If you don't hit just after the back to school run, then companies hold off until January else it annoys the likes of Dell and HP who are building PCs for Christmas.

Thanks

Actually, Lisa Su has said that a few may be released to the market at the end of the year, but volume shipping wont happen until some time in 2017. They are going to get a very small sample out so they can claim they met their deadline.

There are a few articles out there that quote Lisa Su on this, like this one from Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd...017,32314.html

Personally, I don't think we'll see decent numbers of Summit Ridge chips available for retail until Q2 2017 at the earliest. AND have a very long track record of slipping dates.
    Maybe he can bag one of the first chips. Last I was aware of the release was the end of year. Shrugs.

Registered+
    Thanks

Given that the soonest you will be able to buy a supporting motherboard will be February 2017 at best, anyone who snags a Summit Ridge will only have a paperweight until well into 2017.
    http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-intel-kaby-lake-february-2017/

Basically, AMD has slipped their schedule until sometime in February at the very soonest. My bet is actually some time in Q2, maybe April, unless they slip again. If they do, we probably have another 6 months to wait.

Thanks

Given that the soonest you will be able to buy a supporting motherboard will be February 2017 at best, anyone who snags a Summit Ridge will only have a paperweight until well into 2017.
    Did you mean Bristol Ridge? Because Summit Ridge will be released with the motherboards in February.

If you do mean Bristol Ridge, I don't think there's any reason to believe (I mean, a rational reason, apart from a strict interpretation of a rumour) that it will be released without supporting motherboards. So if it's released in October, we'll likely have some A320 and B350 motherboards at that time (though X370 will probably wait for February). Of course, the October date itself is still a rumour, far as I know.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ET3D View Post
    Did you mean Bristol Ridge? Because Summit Ridge will be released with the motherboards in February.

If you do mean Bristol Ridge, I don't think there's any reason to believe (I mean, a rational reason, apart from a strict interpretation of a rumour) that it will be released without supporting motherboards. So if it's released in October, we'll likely have some A320 and B350 motherboards at that time (though X370 will probably wait for February). Of course, the October date itself is still a rumour, far as I know.
    I was speaking about Summit Ridge in response to an earlier post where someone was hoping to grab a Summit Ridge CPU before next year. My point was that it would be useless as there will be no motherboards for it until February at the soonest.

Basically, AMD have yet again pushed out the release date (until recently, it was supposed to be Q4 this year). And as I have said, don't hold your breath for February, I think it will likely ship sometime in Q2 2017, perhaps April or May.

And then, the version 1.0 boards are likely to be pretty sketchy - version 1 of new platforms often have issues. I personally wouldn't jump until things have settled down somewhat, which likely wont be until sometime mid-2017. By then we should also know if Zen is actually going to deliver, or is all hot air like Bulldozer was.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I was speaking about Summit Ridge in response to an earlier post where someone was hoping to grab a Summit Ridge CPU before next year. My point was that it would be useless as there will be no motherboards for it until February at the soonest. ....
    The only way for that point to be true is if Bristol Ridge doesn't make it to the channel. If it does, there will be AM4 motherboards available in the channel at the same time, so there will be Summit Ridge supporting motherboards - after all, the whole point of AM4 is that it's a unified platform for APUs and CPUs. There might not be any high-end enthusiast motherboards, but there will be motherboards.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I was speaking about Summit Ridge in response to an earlier post where someone was hoping to grab a Summit Ridge CPU before next year. My point was that it would be useless as there will be no motherboards for it until February at the soonest. ....
    The only way for that point to be true is if Bristol Ridge doesn't make it to the channel. If it does, there will be AM4 motherboards available in the channel at the same time, so there will be Summit Ridge supporting motherboards - after all, the whole point of AM4 is that it's a unified platform for APUs and CPUs. There might not be any high-end enthusiast motherboards, but there will be motherboards.
    Fair point, although it looks to me that the Summit Ridge would be severely handicapped on anything less than the X370 boards. This is all academic though, because no real quantities of the Summit Ridge will be available until a few months into 2017.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... it looks to me that the Summit Ridge would be severely handicapped on anything less than the X370 boards. ...
    Depends on your use case, I guess. There are workloads that rely purely on CPU threads with the IO and peripherals irrelevant, and for those cases a Summit Ridge on a 300 board (i.e. with no chipset at all) would be fine and save a lot of money. The vast majority of hexus readers don't have that use case, mind you - they're almost certainly going to want an X370 board to wring every last drop of performance out of their extreme gaming systems. I just rather like the thought that AMD is giving you the option of combining the components you want into the system you want.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Depends on your use case, I guess. There are workloads that rely purely on CPU threads with the IO and peripherals irrelevant, and for those cases a Summit Ridge on a 300 board (i.e. with no chipset at all) would be fine and save a lot of money. The vast majority of hexus readers don't have that use case, mind you - they're almost certainly going to want an X370 board to wring every last drop of performance out of their extreme gaming systems. I just rather like the thought that AMD is giving you the option of combining the components you want into the system you want.
    I see a lot of OEM builds using them,as all they really need is three SATA drives at most and plenty probably only need two.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I see a lot of OEM builds using them,as all they really need is three SATA drives at most and plenty probably only need two.
    If as an SoC you can use the chipset x4 link to talk to an SSD, then that leaves an optional single SATA connection for optical drive. Personally I use an external USB drive, only using one SATA connection for a laptop hard drive if I am being cheapskate. For performance, I struggle to see a need for SATA. For bulk storage, I would use a NAS anyway.

If the X370 chipset needs a full ATX motherboard to get all the gadgets it allows plugged in, then I would struggle to justify it. ITX cases are getting more tempting as the years go on.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    If as an SoC you can use the chipset x4 link to talk to an SSD, then that leaves an optional single SATA connection for optical drive. ...
    The SoC supports NVMe on an x2 link alongside two sata ports, so without a chipset you get an NVMe slot (albeit a slower implementation) for your SSD and 2 sata 3s for optical drive and bulk storage. Plenty of storage options for most mainstream systems. And that's without pondering what's available from the x4 PCIe that normally connects to the chipset. As CAT says, I can see the OEMs being all over the X/B/A 300 boards, because it reduces their costs without really losing them anything: if they drop NVMe support they get at least 2 sata, 4 USB 3, and 2 general purpose PCIe lanes for extra peripherals or slots, alongside the dedicated x8/x16 for graphics. The only thing obviously missing is networking, tbh - I guess one of the general purpose PCIe lanes would have to be used for ethernet or a wifi module, but on an ITX board that's hardly a disaster...!

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

As CAT says, I can see the OEMs being all over the X/B/A 300 boards, because it reduces their costs without really losing them anything
    I'm more than agreeing

I can see a retail ITX board allowing me an M.2 SSD (a couple of PCIe lanes a a SATA port wired to there), a SATA port for either a second drive if I can't afford a big M.2 drive or optical if I want to go retro, and enough PCIe lanes to drive a single GTX1080. That isn't a low end OEM setup.

Now more USB would be nice, so perhaps integrate a cheap USB 2.0 hub on the board for keyboard, mouse etc connectors a plenty at very low cost. Gigabit networking requires a x1 lane, and another x1 would probably have to go to a mini PCie slot for people who want WiFi and bluetooth (which I never understood in a desktop, but they seem popular).

Really, all the chipset gets you is storage, something you only really need if you are building a NAS. In my example above there should be a couple of lanes left, so you could always stick on a SATA controller.

I presume a high end chipset will integrate a PCIe 3.0 switch to allow crossfire of some sort. Meh.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    If as an SoC you can use the chipset x4 link to talk to an SSD, then that leaves an optional single SATA connection for optical drive. ...
    The SoC supports NVMe on an x2 link alongside two sata ports, so without a chipset you get an NVMe slot (albeit a slower implementation) for your SSD and 2 sata 3s for optical drive and bulk storage. Plenty of storage options for most mainstream systems. And that's without pondering what's available from the x4 PCIe that normally connects to the chipset. As CAT says, I can see the OEMs being all over the X/B/A 300 boards, because it reduces their costs without really losing them anything: if they drop NVMe support they get at least 2 sata, 4 USB 3, and 2 general purpose PCIe lanes for extra peripherals or slots, alongside the dedicated x8/x16 for graphics. The only thing obviously missing is networking, tbh - I guess one of the general purpose PCIe lanes would have to be used for ethernet or a wifi module, but on an ITX board that's hardly a disaster...!
    Isn't it the case that the graphics PCIe lanes available direct from the CPU (SoC) are limited to 8? Is that enough for a high-end graphics card? I'm not a gamer, so dunno. But I guess for mainstream use, 8 lanes of gen 3 PCIe for graphics is plenty.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information