Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Dell updates UltraSharp 30 and 34 monitors

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,469
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,849 times in 629 posts

    Dell updates UltraSharp 30 and 34 monitors

    Improvements include; greater colour space coverage, bezel reductions, more inputs.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Dell updates UltraSharp 30 and 34 monitors

    Is there still a market for 2560x1600 monitors?

  3. #3
    Oh Crumbs.... Biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    11,192
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    1,091 times in 833 posts
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

    Re: Dell updates UltraSharp 30 and 34 monitors

    Quote Originally Posted by HW90 View Post
    Is there still a market for 2560x1600 monitors?
    Personally I still feel that 16:10 is the FAR superior resolution for doing actual work. I stick rock 30", 24" and 22" (rotated 90 degrees) monitors on my work desk, all 16:10.

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Dell updates UltraSharp 30 and 34 monitors

    I absolutely understand that there's a market for 16:10, just why such a low resolution? Surely it's time for 3840x2400 or 5120X3200 which would be more akin to the market 2560x1600 monitors previously had?

  5. #5
    Oh Crumbs.... Biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    11,192
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    1,091 times in 833 posts
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

    Re: Dell updates UltraSharp 30 and 34 monitors

    Quote Originally Posted by HW90 View Post
    I absolutely understand that there's a market for 16:10, just why such a low resolution? Surely it's time for 3840x2400 or 5120X3200 which would be more akin to the market 2560x1600 monitors previously had?
    Thats a pretty good point. Perhaps those panels aren't really manufactured due to low demand?
    IMO, for common office type work, you dont really gain a lot by running high resolution monitors other than having to deal with windows scaling headache. Its quite useful on laptops where in general you can run scaling and have a nice easy to use and nice to look at environment, but when you need the real estate you can crank up the res and maximise working space when away from home.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Under a rusty bucket
    Posts
    271
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    15 times in 10 posts
    • Friesiansam's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Bit
      • CPU:
      • Of
      • Memory:
      • This
      • Storage:
      • Bit
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Of
      • PSU:
      • That
      • Case:
      • Bit
      • Operating System:
      • Of
      • Monitor(s):
      • The
      • Internet:
      • Other

    Re: Dell updates UltraSharp 30 and 34 monitors

    Quote Originally Posted by HW90 View Post
    I absolutely understand that there's a market for 16:10, just why such a low resolution?
    Presumably because there are still a lot of people who want to buy them, Dell are not stupid. I have a 32" 2560x1440 monitor which works very well for me. I expect to keep it for a long time.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,061
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    39 times in 38 posts

    Re: Dell updates UltraSharp 30 and 34 monitors

    Quote Originally Posted by HW90 View Post
    Is there still a market for 2560x1600 monitors?
    I would be interested in one. 2560x1600 is a lot of pixels. It's not far off one of the new ultra wide screen 3440x1440.

  8. #8
    I'm special azrael-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Posts
    945
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked
    83 times in 75 posts
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8C-WS
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1245v2 3.4 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB ECC DDR3 1333 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256 GB Samsung 830, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

    Re: Dell updates UltraSharp 30 and 34 monitors

    I, too, lament the slow but certain demise of the 16:10 aspect ratio for monitors. I just find it so much more useful than 16:9. A 30" at 2560x1600 isn't far off from a 27" at 2560x1440 resolution-wise, so one might equally argue that the time for 27" at 2560x1440 has come and gone. Most people would beg to differ.

    As for the new ultra-wide monitors I do find them somewhat intriguing, but I can't see any critical visual work being done on them because of the (usually) curved screen. I'm thinking of things like image/photo editing, GUI design etc. Then again, I haven't actually tried it myself.

  9. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Dell updates UltraSharp 30 and 34 monitors

    Do not expect these to last. I have a Dell 3008WFP 2560 x 1600. There's a known issues with a defective part, a $3 diode in the power supply. Dell told me there was nothing wrong with their product, and that as it was out of warranty I should chuck it in the trash and buy a new one. They denied that replacing the diode would help. Anyway, I managed to pull the thing apart and replace the diode, as many others have done. I will never buy Dell again, dishonest crooks. I suggest it's not worth spending $$$$ on a Dell monitor only for it to die a month out of warranty See https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18460501

  10. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Dell updates UltraSharp 30 and 34 monitors

    Quote Originally Posted by Friesiansam View Post
    Presumably because there are still a lot of people who want to buy them, Dell are not stupid. I have a 32" 2560x1440 monitor which works very well for me. I expect to keep it for a long time.
    I can see people wanting 2560x1600 monitors, but at this price point? For a lower cost you can get a slightly larger, similar or higher quality 4k or 5k panel. This should cost about half of what it does, even accounting for a premium for 16:10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Thats a pretty good point. Perhaps those panels aren't really manufactured due to low demand?
    IMO, for common office type work, you dont really gain a lot by running high resolution monitors other than having to deal with windows scaling headache. Its quite useful on laptops where in general you can run scaling and have a nice easy to use and nice to look at environment, but when you need the real estate you can crank up the res and maximise working space when away from home.
    This isn't really the kind of monitor that gets used for common office work though, and for the kind of work it would be used for 2560x1600 is probably a fairly low resolution when video content is starting to be in 4K and photos even bigger.

    Quote Originally Posted by jigger View Post
    I would be interested in one. 2560x1600 is a lot of pixels. It's not far off one of the new ultra wide screen 3440x1440.
    Sure but would you pay $1250 (~£1100) for that? The 4MP range is also fairly mid tier now with 4k monitors having accessible prices and a similar quality 4k screen to this would cost around £800.

    Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    I, too, lament the slow but certain demise of the 16:10 aspect ratio for monitors. I just find it so much more useful than 16:9. A 30" at 2560x1600 isn't far off from a 27" at 2560x1440 resolution-wise, so one might equally argue that the time for 27" at 2560x1440 has come and gone. Most people would beg to differ.

    As for the new ultra-wide monitors I do find them somewhat intriguing, but I can't see any critical visual work being done on them because of the (usually) curved screen. I'm thinking of things like image/photo editing, GUI design etc. Then again, I haven't actually tried it myself.
    I'm not saying 2560x1600 isn't an ok resolution, I'm saying for this type of monitor and at this price range it's odd. 2560x1440 monitors are relatively cheap and mid range, but this is marketed and priced as a professional part so it's not right to compare the two. It's like if Mercedes released a luxury electric car which had a 200 mile range and it cost more than the Tesla model S which is also a luxury electric car and has a 300 mile range, the Merc is intriguing and a 200 mile range is manageable but most people other than the die hard Merc fans aren't going to buy it when the Tesla S is around.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Under a rusty bucket
    Posts
    271
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    15 times in 10 posts
    • Friesiansam's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Bit
      • CPU:
      • Of
      • Memory:
      • This
      • Storage:
      • Bit
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Of
      • PSU:
      • That
      • Case:
      • Bit
      • Operating System:
      • Of
      • Monitor(s):
      • The
      • Internet:
      • Other

    Re: Dell updates UltraSharp 30 and 34 monitors

    Quote Originally Posted by HW90 View Post
    I can see people wanting 2560x1600 monitors, but at this price point? For a lower cost you can get a slightly larger, similar or higher quality 4k or 5k panel. This should cost about half of what it does, even accounting for a premium for 16:10.
    You really don't get it do you? A lot people don't want UHD resolutions, but do want the wider colour space and precise calibration options that the 30" Dell Ultrasharp has provided for many years now. Remember also that, among Monitors aimed at professional graphics use, the Dell is actually reasonably priced.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •