Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,924
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,865 times in 638 posts

    Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    These PSUs employ a pair of patented Twister Bearing fans for long-term stability.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    King of the Juice Platinum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Chesterfield
    Posts
    3,767
    Thanks
    711
    Thanked
    88 times in 73 posts
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

    Re: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    Wow old skool, takes me back to the PSU's of the late 2000's
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>


  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    7 times in 5 posts
    • Valantar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar X370GTN
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 840 Pro 256GB, 850 Evo 500GB. Various HDDs.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon Fury X
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2711
      • Internet:
      • 40/10 fiber

    Re: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    This makes absolutely no sense. At all.

    First of all: unless both fans are intakes (with somewhere for the air to exhaust), two fans do not in any way increase airflow. They increase static pressure, so air might flow better through densely packed components (which is the argument for push-pull setups on radiators), but airflow will always be limited by the amount of air taken in by the intake fan. And with a 100mm intake fan, that PSU looks pretty weak.

    Secondly: How on earth does this affect cases with PSU shrouds? It has exactly the same airflow pattern as every other PSU on the market (as it needs to to be ATX compliant ...). It takes in air from the bottom, and exhausts it out the back. Sure, some PSUs have holes and openings allowing some air to spill inside the case. But those are few and far between - and it really doesn't matter. The majority of airflow is bottom-to-back, no matter the (ATX) PSU. This is no different.

    Third: The use of two fans allowing them to run at lower RPMs. See point one. Also, the fans are (much) smaller than competing units, and thus have to run at higher speeds to compensate. Not to mention that noise adds up. Two noise sources at the same dB(A) level next to each other add up to roughly 3 dB(A) more than either.

    Fourth: "cases with PSU shrouds stifle air flow through the PSU compartment." And so what? What does it matter if you have airflow past the closed-off sides of your PSU? Not one iota. Even if your PSU has components mounted on the bottom of the PCB, using the casing for heat dissipation, this doesn't matter. Sorry, Enermax.

    Fifth: The addition of a fan speed control knob is a dead giveaway. It pretty much says "you can have a hot, silent(ish) PSU, or a loud, cool one. Your choice. With this design, there is no automated 'best of both worlds' setting, like 99% of PSUs. Sorry."


    Sixth: Where on earth is the journalism here? Shouldn't journalists actually question the veracity of claims like this? This is just PR-BS regurgitation. Seriously. You're supposed to be experts. You get paid to write about this. Stop being mindless markething shills.

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • Raven74's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Edition 10
      • CPU:
      • i7 6950X@4.4 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x8GB (32GB)@3400 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Seagate Iron Wolf 10TB, 2xSeagate barracuda 2TB, 2xSamsung 240GB EVO, Samsung M.2 250GB 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xAsus GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 780T White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 2777PQU
      • Internet:
      • 100 Mbs

    Re: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    Quote Originally Posted by Valantar View Post
    This makes absolutely no sense. At all.

    First of all: unless both fans are intakes (with somewhere for the air to exhaust), two fans do not in any way increase airflow. They increase static pressure, so air might flow better through densely packed components (which is the argument for push-pull setups on radiators), but airflow will always be limited by the amount of air taken in by the intake fan. And with a 100mm intake fan, that PSU looks pretty weak.

    Secondly: How on earth does this affect cases with PSU shrouds? It has exactly the same airflow pattern as every other PSU on the market (as it needs to to be ATX compliant ...). It takes in air from the bottom, and exhausts it out the back. Sure, some PSUs have holes and openings allowing some air to spill inside the case. But those are few and far between - and it really doesn't matter. The majority of airflow is bottom-to-back, no matter the (ATX) PSU. This is no different.

    Third: The use of two fans allowing them to run at lower RPMs. See point one. Also, the fans are (much) smaller than competing units, and thus have to run at higher speeds to compensate. Not to mention that noise adds up. Two noise sources at the same dB(A) level next to each other add up to roughly 3 dB(A) more than either.

    Fourth: "cases with PSU shrouds stifle air flow through the PSU compartment." And so what? What does it matter if you have airflow past the closed-off sides of your PSU? Not one iota. Even if your PSU has components mounted on the bottom of the PCB, using the casing for heat dissipation, this doesn't matter. Sorry, Enermax.

    Fifth: The addition of a fan speed control knob is a dead giveaway. It pretty much says "you can have a hot, silent(ish) PSU, or a loud, cool one. Your choice. With this design, there is no automated 'best of both worlds' setting, like 99% of PSUs. Sorry."


    Sixth: Where on earth is the journalism here? Shouldn't journalists actually question the veracity of claims like this? This is just PR-BS regurgitation. Seriously. You're supposed to be experts. You get paid to write about this. Stop being mindless markething shills.
    At one point you are not right, yes two fans contributes to better airflow, airflow is the volume of air moved in a time unit, but if you have one fan you put lots of air inside but a lot fewer gets out (Exactly this is airflow, the volume of air that gets in and out, not just in or out).

  5. #5
    DILLIGAF GoNz0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    10,866
    Thanks
    632
    Thanked
    1,190 times in 943 posts
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

    Re: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    I had an old Enermax with 2 fans in it, Galaxy 850w iirc!
    It still ticks along in the father in laws PC.

    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

  6. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    7 times in 5 posts
    • Valantar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar X370GTN
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 840 Pro 256GB, 850 Evo 500GB. Various HDDs.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon Fury X
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2711
      • Internet:
      • 40/10 fiber

    Re: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven74 View Post
    At one point you are not right, yes two fans contributes to better airflow, airflow is the volume of air moved in a time unit, but if you have one fan you put lots of air inside but a lot fewer gets out (Exactly this is airflow, the volume of air that gets in and out, not just in or out).
    No, no, no. Airflow for a PSU is the amount of air flowing /through/ the PSU. Sure, two fans next to each other each provide airflow, and might as such be added to each other. But never when these are connected in series, one delivering air to the other. In a case like that, the second fan will only ever be able to move air provided by the first fan, and as such can only tangentially affecr actual airflow in the system. What you're describing is resistance to airflow causing pressure buildup. No matter the density of the PSU dedign, it won't realistically affect pressurization in any meaningful way, simply because PSUs have large openings for airflow. Whatever pressure potential there is will dissipate through the openings. Also, even if pressure buildup was to somehow happen, it would level out as soon as the fan hit its designated speed, at which time airflow through the system would be equal to what the fan can provide at that level of resistance. A second fan can lower this resistance, effectively increasing static pressure of the fan system, but airflow will still never exceed what the intake fan can provide.

    At best, enermax is solving a "problem" they have created for themselves by giving the PSU ridiculously small fans and too small exhaust vents on the back. Unless, of course, the internal layout of the PSU is so horrendously bad as to actually require a push-pull fan setup.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Spreadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    an island in the south
    Posts
    1,585
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked
    287 times in 201 posts
    • Spreadie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z390i
      • CPU:
      • i7-9700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 3200 CL14
      • Storage:
      • 2.5TB m.2/SSD, 32TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080 Ti
      • PSU:
      • SFX 600
      • Case:
      • NCase M1
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS XG32VQ
      • Internet:
      • 80 Meg Fibre

    Re: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    The second (exhaust) fan induces a negative potential, drawing air in via the intake fan aperture - do you seriously think that has no bearing on airflow within the PSU when combined with the intake fan?
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!


  8. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • maxp779's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
      • CPU:
      • 2600k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD5850
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600w
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VX2260WM 22" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 8MB

    Re: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    Gotta agree with Valantar here. PSU's have had the same design for a very long time now, its a box with a 120mm intake fan. That is the pinacle of PSU design. This just seems like an attempt by marketing to "improve" and by "improve" they really mean just make something different that stands out. Nothing thats actually better than what we have.

    It reminds me of that daft Gigabyte GPU we saw a few years back. The 7970 with 5 tiny fans instead of 2 bigger ones.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,952
    Thanks
    400
    Thanked
    366 times in 255 posts

    Re: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    Quote Originally Posted by Valantar View Post
    This makes absolutely no sense. At all.
    If you're assuming the amount of air being moved is relative to size of the fan then probably not.

  10. #10
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,044
    Thanks
    1,194
    Thanked
    2,246 times in 1,847 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    Quote Originally Posted by maxp779 View Post
    ... PSU's have had the same design for a very long time now, its a box with a 120mm intake fan. ...
    That's actually a fairly recent design in terms of the entire PSU stack - it used to be reserved for high end PSUs, certainly back when I started building PCs. On entry level PSUs a single 80mm exhaust fan the standard design, with the next level up being the addition of an 80mm intake (and some manufacturer *ahem* Q-Tek *ahem* even added a second intake fan next to the cable position).

    There are reasons for using push-pull fan combinations, and without reviews you simply can't know where it works for Enermax here. I suspect the engineers at Enermax know more than most hexites about engineering a PSU, and they obviously think there are benefits to this approach. Maybe it's purely to let them use cheaper fans and bump up profit margins. Maybe they've crammed more cooling fins into the PSU to help keep temps down. Without a review there's no way to tell. But I'm pretty sure that they won't have done thing for no reason. The fact that we don't know what it is doesn't really matter...

  11. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post

    Re: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    Quote Originally Posted by Valantar View Post
    This makes absolutely no sense. At all.

    First of all: unless both fans are intakes (with somewhere for the air to exhaust), two fans do not in any way increase airflow. They increase static pressure, so air might flow better through densely packed components (which is the argument for push-pull setups on radiators), but airflow will always be limited by the amount of air taken in by the intake fan. And with a 100mm intake fan, that PSU looks pretty weak.
    The exhaust fan will reduce the pressure in the enclosure better than the usual holes (remember that work has to be done to get the air through the holes, and that work is normally done only by the intake fan). Axial fans are better suited for inducing air flow rather than creating a pressure differential (as compared to other fan designs).

    The density of the air in a PC PSU will never be a significant factor in the cooling ability whereas the magnitude of the air flow is.

    Having two fans may also improve the flow path of the air. (You'll be familiar with the plastic sheet baffles in some PSUs.)

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    7 times in 6 posts

    Re: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven74 View Post

    At one point you are not right, yes two fans contributes to better airflow, airflow is the volume of air moved in a time unit, but if you have one fan you put lots of air inside but a lot fewer gets out (Exactly this is airflow, the volume of air that gets in and out, not just in or out).
    Generally speaking, the volume of air going in also equals the volume of air coming out... otherwise, where is it going? It is not being stored in there indefinitely, or being destroyed!

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts
    • PsyaNyde's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Gaming plus
      • CPU:
      • i5 8400
      • Memory:
      • 16gb DDR4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1060 6gb
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Colossus
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" 4k Electriq + Prolite E2483HS
      • Internet:
      • 100mb Virgin Broadband

    Re: Enermax launches REVOLUTION DUO dual-fan PSU range

    Needs a full independent review, tested temps against comparable single fan PSU's to either prove or disprove any advantages.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •