Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Nvidia drivers include telemetry logging functionality

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Recent Nvidia drivers include telemetry logging functionality

It isn't known exactly what data Nvidia is collecting, or why it wants it.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Recent Nvidia drivers include telemetry logging functionality

Ah, it's not Microsoft so there's nothing to complain about /s

Old Geezer
    Thanks

You can also download direct from Microsoft, without the Majorgeeks branding.

Thanks

The same people who whine about telemetry and Windows are the same fools who own Android/iPhones tracking huge amounts of data in everything you do along with apps like Facebook/whatsapp etc and completely oblivious or don't care because it's not Microsoft.

At least in Windows you can turn it all off if your are the paranoid type.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kato-2 View Post
    The same people who whine about telemetry and Windows are the same fools who own Android/iPhones tracking huge amounts of data in everything you do along with apps like Facebook/whatsapp etc and completely oblivious or don't care because it's not Microsoft.
    Generalisation much!

It seems this telemetry guff was introduced with 375.70, at least I'm using 375.63 and there's no sign of these "services"

Thanks
    • satrow's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z77E-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Ivy Xeon 1230 v2/Be Quiet Shadow Rock Topflow
      • Memory:
      • GSkill 2x8GB DDR3 2400Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 3x 256GB SSDs, 2x 1TB 2.5" HDDs.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus blower GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 360W Gold
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy/2x 120mm fans
      • Operating System:
      • W7x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual (/triple) Dell U2412M 1900x1200
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk FTTC ~14Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Friesiansam View Post
    You can also download direct from Microsoft, without the Majorgeeks branding.
    The image is from the article at Majorgeeks.

As far as I'm aware, Majorgeeks doesn't add branding/wrappers, etc. to any downloads from their servers, any adware/shareware etc. is clearly marked so on the description page.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    As far as I'm aware, Majorgeeks doesn't add branding/wrappers, etc. to any downloads from their servers, any adware/shareware etc. is clearly marked so on the description page.
    That's right, it's why I use them as my main source for software downloads.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    It seems this telemetry guff was introduced with 375.70, at least I'm using 375.63 and there's no sign of these "services"
    I can't confirm whether it's active, but it's listed and enabled on my system and I'm on 373.06 (I rolled back after the Windows 10 start menu cock-up with 375.57).

Thanks

Could it be getting installed with the default install, i always do custom install and only choose the driver, PhysX, and audio drivers.
    Maybe it's part of the Geforce experience, although that doesn't explain the Wireless controller Service (I've never even seen that in their Graphics drivers).

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kato-2 View Post

At least in Windows you can turn it all off if your are the paranoid type.
    I don't recall doing serious stuff in my fb/whatsapp app. It's a social platform. And android has app permissions. They dont just get away unnoticed. Microsoft's windows is not an app. People do work in windows. Telemetry data is more sensitive here.

11. Received thanks from:

Gunbuster (07-11-2016)

Thanks

No thank you Nvidia. Time to un install my graphics card.

Thanks

The biggest issue I have with the telemetry data is that it can invalidate nda's.

I can understand that companies want to get feedback on their hardware but it's WHAT they can gather that is the problem.

Supposedly this can get personal details like name, home address, telephone numbers and other things that can be given to marketing companies and others of a similar annoyance level. If you use geforce experience it can be linked to facebook etc too...

However I'm guessing this is likely just legalese protectionism and they don't go that far but I've disabled it anyway, hopefully it won't need to be done every time a new driver comes out.

Personally I think ANYTHING like this should be 'opt in' not automatically assumed as we accept just because it's stuck in the eula, it's not like we can run their hardware without their drivers so it's not like we can say no to any changes.

Corky... it was supposedly from geforce experience but some are saying it now gets installed with the normal drivers even if you don't install geforce.

14. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (08-11-2016)

Registered+
    Thanks

I've done a recent reinstall of my Win 10 which includes reinstalling my NV drivers (I put version 375.70 straight away). After reading the article I kicked off my autoruns and filtered on nvidia.

There we no telemetry entries in my autoruns. For that matter there were no nvidia scheduler events set up at all.

I opened Geforce experience and it ran me around the park of logging in and scanning my games. After all that, lo & behold, all entries mentioned by the article were there.

My summary is that it appears it is not the driver that logs all that telemetry crap, but the geforce experience bloatware that does it. Makes sense if they are gonna track your games. I wonder how much nvidia is selling this marketing data to game publishers for...
    /Cheers Cyberguy

Thanks

And to the surprise of absolutely nobody with a functioning brain, the telemetry it collects turns out to be the data needed for GFE to actually work.

Thanks
    • Savas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB Sata III 2.5 inch Internal SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850W
      • Case:
      • LIANLI PC-8FI
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 32LF580V
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbits (Plusnet)

Quote Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
    And to the surprise of absolutely nobody with a functioning brain, the telemetry it collects turns out to be the data needed for GFE to actually work.
    Oh, thanks! Luckily we have someone with a functioning brain here!

Alright, well, I don't seem to have a functioning brain and I want to keep my drivers auto updated how should I go about doing this? Because I find all this quite annoying and fishy, as you used to be able to keep your drivers updated by simply checking it or having it notify you, then "GFE" came into the picture, you had to use that, then you have to log in, now an update later it's collecting data.. I guess my not functioning brain shouldn't be surprised by all this because it's "needed"..

Seriously, are you a Nvidia shill or a super fanboy thinking this is how you do damage control?

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Savas View Post
    then "GFE" came into the picture, you had to use that, then you have to log in, now an update later it's collecting data.. I guess my not functioning brain shouldn't be surprised by all this because it's "needed"..

Seriously, are you a Nvidia shill or a super fanboy thinking this is how you do damage control?
    There is no need to install GFE, you do not need it to download drivers - let alone have to log into anything.

If you want auto-driver updates for your video card, let Windows update handle it, if you don't like the delay or granularity of WU, then download them manually. It only takes 1-2 mins to check, download and install a driver.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information