Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Google DeepMind takes on StarCraft II

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,245
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,006 times in 711 posts

    Google DeepMind takes on StarCraft II

    The AI researchers take a big step beyond board games like Chess and Go.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Last Aerie
    Posts
    10,857
    Thanks
    645
    Thanked
    872 times in 736 posts
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

    Re: Google DeepMind takes on StarCraft II

    "we're still a long way from being able to challenge a professional human player at the game of StarCraft II"
    ...and then we have to take it to another level to beat Koreans!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

  3. Received thanks from:

    Pleiades (07-11-2016)

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    274
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked
    8 times in 8 posts

    Re: Google DeepMind takes on StarCraft II

    Would the AI be able to bank/throttle actions in order to do bursts? You need to consider the latency between actions. Ordering a new unit can take only 2 actions but the single action of selecting a point on the minimap can take a lot longer (unless you count moving the cursor with your mouse an action). For the AI it would probably take the same amount of time.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,067
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    102 times in 91 posts

    Re: Google DeepMind takes on StarCraft II

    Only concern is this.... isn't this basically training AI in war tactics and battlecraft...

  6. #5
    Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    17,164
    Thanks
    803
    Thanked
    2,152 times in 1,408 posts

    Re: Google DeepMind takes on StarCraft II

    Quote Originally Posted by semo View Post
    Would the AI be able to bank/throttle actions in order to do bursts? You need to consider the latency between actions. Ordering a new unit can take only 2 actions but the single action of selecting a point on the minimap can take a lot longer (unless you count moving the cursor with your mouse an action). For the AI it would probably take the same amount of time.
    That's very easy to limit, you can draw up a simple function that replicates how a user behaves, and make it so the AI 'knows' about that delay too.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,583
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    246 times in 208 posts

    Re: Google DeepMind takes on StarCraft II

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Only concern is this.... isn't this basically training AI in war tactics and battlecraft...
    That's what I was thinking too

  8. #7
    Senior Member Lanky123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    922
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked
    152 times in 101 posts
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2+4TB HDD + 3TB Synology DS216SE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 270X HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • ElectriQ 32" 4k IPS + Dell 22" U2212HM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

    Re: Google DeepMind takes on StarCraft II

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by semo View Post
    Would the AI be able to bank/throttle actions in order to do bursts? You need to consider the latency between actions. Ordering a new unit can take only 2 actions but the single action of selecting a point on the minimap can take a lot longer (unless you count moving the cursor with your mouse an action). For the AI it would probably take the same amount of time.
    That's very easy to limit, you can draw up a simple function that replicates how a user behaves, and make it so the AI 'knows' about that delay too.
    Yep - modelling the human input behaviour is the least of the problems here.

    It astounds me that they can reach any sort of strategy at all given the delay between pertinent action and reward in a game like this. I guess this is where the 'curriculum scenarios' come in - to give some sort of a baseline strategy from which it can then extrapolate/explore.

  9. #8
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,445
    Thanks
    1,729
    Thanked
    3,198 times in 2,582 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: Google DeepMind takes on StarCraft II

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Only concern is this.... isn't this basically training AI in war tactics and battlecraft...
    Well it's nice to know that next time we're invaded by the Zerg we've got a head start

    Third party AI is great - means developers shouldn't have to worry about the hugely expensive task of trying to develop AI for their games individually. Just make your game player-controllable and set the AI to learn from the human interface.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •