• XFX ProSeries 450W Core Edition
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster N300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2313HM

Re: Microsoft will develop "ultimate mobile device" says Satya Nadella

Good, because I made the switch from android to a lumia 650 and I don't want to go back in android again.
    The current state of android is like windows vista imho, nice and useful but resource hungry for no reason with terrible resource management.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post

Edit:.... and I'm yet to see them make any movement towards doing this. Windows 10 is gradually becoming more and more of an uncontrollable and dangerous monster. They need to put control of how things are done back into the hands of the users and stop force installing 3rd party apps. I'm sick of my computer updating when it wants too, rather than when I want it too.
    As to that aspect of Win 10, it's my biggest single reason (of several) for refusing to even consider Win10 for any of my machines (* note).

With respect to an "ultimate mobile device", it will have to satisfy me on two fundamental issues before I'd even consider one.

1) That MS have lost the mindset, as exemplified by that above issue, that THEY control the status of the device, and I'm just a 'service user'.

2) That both security and privacy are sufficiently advanced, AND under my control, that any such device is not at least as much about their ability to snoop on anything and everything I do with it as it is about my ability to do things.

Am I expecting to see a device, ultimate or otherwise, that satisfies those two broad criteria? Not any time soon, and not at all unless a very large number (and percentage) of users come to care FAR more about them than currently do, and while that's possible, I'm certainly not holding my breath.

For me, MS did HUGE damage to any trust or faith I had in them with Win8, and especially Win10, and unless I see drastic, convincing change in their corporate mindset and strategic direction (again, not holding breath) no other aspect of this device, even if it is truly ultimate, will induce me to buy one.

Those issues, to me, are the foundations and unless MS get them right, everything else they build on top is about as important as the thickness grade of solid oak flooring and gold-plated taps - fixings and bling won't help my if the building collapses with me in it because they messed up the foundations.

* except test systems

Registered+
    Thanks
    • maxp779's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD5850
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600w
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VX2260WM 22" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 8MB

"more interested in how individuals and organisations were using devices, than the devices themselves,"

Microsoft don't have a clue how people use their devices. They came to the conclusion that nobody would miss the start menu. Look how that turned out. And their history to date of "bringing new things to the table" dosent inspire.

Zune - Color of dog poo, as expensive as the ipod was, did nothing new. Why bother?

Windows phone - Different UI, not necessarily better, did nothing the competitors didn't do, had less apps in fact. Again, why would the end user bother with this?

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Microsoft will develop "ultimate mobile device"

So, Android phone in the works
    Well, I did read they are working on ways to let you replace Android functionality with Microsoft things, like swapping Google Now for Cortana.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    With respect to an "ultimate mobile device", it will have to satisfy me on two fundamental issues before I'd even consider one.

1) That MS have lost the mindset, as exemplified by that above issue, that THEY control the status of the device, and I'm just a 'service user'.
    But when 99% of users completely lack any vague notion of "clue" regarding security, you can see why it has happened.

If you want to build a secure, safe OS for the "internet age", the lowest common denominator wins, so those of us that did always apply security updates, regularly patched software, took steps to protect machines and knew that that popup on a website was bogus now have to endure the annoyances.

Whilst MS have taken what might be called the responsible approach to it, its a good idea poorly implemented and really, you should blame all those people that have managed to install trojans, malware and have managed to get themselves turned into a botnet node, all whilst being unable to notice or fix it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    2) That both security and privacy are sufficiently advanced, AND under my control, that any such device is not at least as much about their ability to snoop on anything and everything I do with it as it is about my ability to do things.
    Definitely. Security begins by maintaining the users privacy, theres absolutely no need for ANY telemetry or metrics data to be sent back. Whilst some things help improve services, these things should be off by default, the user should be asked once if they want to participate and if declined never be asked again.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post

Definitely. Security begins by maintaining the users privacy, theres absolutely no need for ANY telemetry or metrics data to be sent back. Whilst some things help improve services, these things should be off by default, the user should be asked once if they want to participate and if declined never be asked again.
    At the risk of rehashing the Start Menu issue, I objected to that for two reasons.

1) I use it extensively and MS decided I had to change the way I've arranged things for a couple of decades or more.

2) That the facility exists whereby they can change the way my system works without my express approval, never mind against my explicit wishes.

The usage bit annoyed me (rather a lot), but the second bit, that MS can unilaterally make whatever changes they want, whenever they want, and it just happens .... that, for me is an absolute red line, an utter non-starter.

It's the corporate mindset whereby MS think they have the right to just change the functionality of MY computers, or "ultimate mobile device", after I've bought and paid for it. Before I buy, I investigate quite carefully to ensure it's the right purchase for me, and I'm wasting my time if MS can then change it all.

The problem for me, therefore, is that mindset.

Unless vast numbers of users rejected MS software and hardware on that basis, and I can't see that happening, then MS aren't likely to change mindset. That leaves me the single option of rejecting new MS hardware or software, which is why MS coming up with an "ultimate" device is, for me, irrelevant.

Thanks
    • Gunbuster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus AX370 Gaming K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700x + Scythe Kotetsu MK I
      • Memory:
      • 32GB: 4x 8GB HyperX Fury 2400mhz CL15 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 2x Sandisk Ultra II 960GB, 1x Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming GTX970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750w
      • Case:
      • Cougar Panzer S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM IPS-2701WPH 27" 1440p IPS Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Aquiss Fibre

I'm with Saracen. Heard Barnacles complaing about Windows 10 installing games with in app purchases without the users permission or involvement. Checked with one of the guys with a work Surface Pro this morning and yup Candy Crush Soda Saga was installed. Considering this is a trial of the surfaces and not via the normal enterprise route, that might explain why. Not so conclusive, but just another negative for Windows 10.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbuster View Post
    I'm with Saracen. Heard Barnacles complaing about Windows 10 installing games with in app purchases without the users permission or involvement. Checked with one of the guys with a work Surface Pro this morning and yup Candy Crush Soda Saga was installed. Considering this is a trial of the surfaces and not via the normal enterprise route, that might explain why. Not so conclusive, but just another negative for Windows 10.
    I guess if it's a trial, then maybe fair enough, especially if that was agreed to as part of the terms of the trial.

What I find objectionable, though (on a proper retail machine) is that MS are able to install, or for that matter uninstall, software without getting a user's permission.,

If, outside of a trial environment, they actually do it, then that in inexcusable and, to me at least, utterly unforgiveable. They seem to have a fundamental misconception as to whose damn machine it is.

If auto-update was a voluntary program, and users either had to sign up, or at an absolute minimum could disable forced updates/installs, then fair enough. But for MS to just co-opt control over the machine .... well, as far as my machines are concerned, like hell they will and no "ultimate" device is ultimate enough to put up with that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    I just wish they would concentrate on fixing windows 10 first, too many fingers in too many pies and atm none of them are ahead of the compertition
    There is literally nothing you can do about that as long as you use commercial, centralized solutions. Data mining you customers is too valuable.

The solution is to completely disconnect from centralized solutions. No more web e-mail. No more centralized social media.

Facebook is the Napster of Social media. It will die in 10 years.

Thanks
    • Gunbuster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus AX370 Gaming K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700x + Scythe Kotetsu MK I
      • Memory:
      • 32GB: 4x 8GB HyperX Fury 2400mhz CL15 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 2x Sandisk Ultra II 960GB, 1x Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming GTX970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750w
      • Case:
      • Cougar Panzer S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM IPS-2701WPH 27" 1440p IPS Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Aquiss Fibre

What I meant is that our company has a small roll out of surfaces running Win10 professional and not enterprise. He got full candy crush soda saga installed without his or IT's knowledge. So anecdotally MS can install, uninstall and change the defaults on programs in Windows 10. Man I miss Balmer.

10. Received thanks from:

Saracen (29-11-2016)

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

I'd rather they made the ultimate desktop os first.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information