Thread: AMD publishes nine Ryzen CPU feature and demo videos

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD publishes nine Ryzen CPU feature and demo videos

Provides easy reference to all the key demos and benchmarks from the New Horizon event.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: AMD publishes nine Ryzen CPU feature and demo videos

That cautionary statement at the end of the first video made me chuckle, i guess it's to be expected given the litigious nature of the world we live in, maybe they should have added "may contain nuts" at the end.
    Last edited by Corky34; 21-12-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks

"outstanding performance (4K, 60fps+)"

We really, really, REALLY need something like this in order to bring nVidia down a peg or two. Their prices are insane for, when we're being honest here, constrained and defined performance increases made in order to max the $$$$.

Thanks

What is constrained in NV hardware? They blow AMD away. Their prices are obviously what they market will handle (you could argue lower than they could charge) since they are selling everything they make on the high end. Prices are "insane" when product won't move because of it. Hence the use of INSANE. You're not insane if you can't keep crap on the shelf at current prices. Some might say you're a bit generous since clearly, you could charge more and most would pay it seems. The fact that you don't like the price (while the roll off shelves like crazy) merely says something about your wallet, not the perf of the product. I'd agree though that they separated product lines to max profit, but no harm really in doing that. I wish they didn't do this (market segmentation I mean) but still haven't seen if that is really all that bad since nobody seems to test stuff like pro apps with 1080 vs titanx etc to see if there is a real difference in most apps. Where are the Blender, Premiere, AE, etc cuda vs. opencl tests Hexus? Is AMD or NV better in most of this stuff, and does TitanX leave them in the dust? How is TitanX vs. Pro cards? How hard is it to run an AE/Premiere test and check a box for OpenCL for AMD's cards or Cuda for NV cards?

And if Vega was the dream machine quality card they would have NOT used NV for the game ZEN tests right? I think ZEN is the real deal but have my doubts about Vega given what AMD did showing off the cpu. Why the heck would you use NV if Vega was better? At least the stock price is rising still...LOL. Hope the Q report shortly doesn't blow that. I'm guessing another few hundred mil loss.

Thanks
    • Jace007's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7700k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 1080
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750w
      • Operating System:
      • WinLOW

Its showing that for the people who upgrade using the AMD CPU, motherboard & memory, What you can get out of ZEN, With an Zen CPU and AM4 motherboard with your own GPU its beats Intel, its a nice choice for alot of people who just want to upgrade the core part of their machine. Leaving us to imagine and get excited at the potential of VEGA. I think AMD will really Demo VEGA in Jan.
    Anyway really that Video?? That was a total useless Demo or what? did'nt show anything exciting, nothing, zero.... Here's a Video .. yeahhhhhhhaaaa!! *clap* ... Ohh wait its the wrong one Yeahhhhhaaa!!

Thanks

Personally I'm really looking forward to seeing real world reviews of Ryzen and Vega, I've been looking forward to upgrading my current setup and the new product lines from AMD have promise.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    Prices are "insane" when product won't move because of it.
    Supposedly the channel has three times the expected unsold inventory for high end Nvidia cards at the moment, and factories are cutting production. So yes, the prices are insane.

I think using 1080 for the Zen demos was a smart move. It shows zero bias in the graphics drivers, as they have no control over them, so no-one can say they faked the Intel chip looking bad.

Which is a point, I wonder if Nvidia have some Zen boards to optimize their drivers against yet. There might be more to come there.

8. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (21-12-2016),watercooled (09-02-2017)

Thanks

NV prices are insane, and only reason why i'm not upgrading anymore is because mid range gaming card like 1060 costs over 250£ when few years ago it was 160£ for 460gtx, 560gtx etc... And them cards had same performance ratio to new games as 1060 does - 1080p card that wont do anything more.
    Last edited by aniilv; 22-12-2016 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    They blow AMD away
    When you say that nVidia "blows AMD away", what exactly are you talking about? Becuase it's definitely not performance per dollar. If you're strictly referring to maximum performance...uh, yeah nVidia is winning, because AMD hasn't even launched their high-end card yet. Plus, regardless of your wallet condition, who wants to spend $1200 on a GPU? No one, including many rich people. The reason they didn't use Vega to show off the CPU is because Vega is incomplete, still needs work, tweaking, QA. The Titans are done, ready to perform to a certain standard set by drivers that have been validated and passed testing. Vega was using a Fury X driver for that Doom benchmark that was leaked for crying out loud. That's why they didn't show off with Vega, except at the end...and even without optimized drivers, it still looks like it's going to give nVidia a run for it's money. As long AMD prices it well, as they did wth the RX480, they will have something that could potentially rip a lot of market share away from nVidia's high end market. Say, they price it at $499...that could do a lot of damage to nVidia, who would have to lower the GTX1080 to $499 when they release the 1080Ti. What if AMD released Vega at $399...the entire GTX1070 line would become instantly obsolete, nVidia would have to drop prices drastically and the launch of the GTX1080Ti would become a moot poitn. Now, I seriosuly doubt Vega will be $399, but even at $499, it would be the better performance/dollar ratio, and so long as it can post 60fps at 4K, a lot of people will purchase it. It's if AMD screws up the pricing that could ruin Vega. IF it matches the current GTX1080 prices of $599-699(FE), I'd say, unless it outperforms the 1080, it wouldn't be all that exciting.

So, the point is, AMD has a chance here, but it's up to them as to whether or not they will be successful. The did well with the RX480, they look like they're doing well with Ryzen, so long as they keep up the same business decisions they've been making with this new leadership team, hopefully, we'll have the first truly exciting era for AMD in a long time.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Trying to show two prototype chips in the same demo sounds pretty suicidal to me, no company should take that risk. Also it'll reinforce the idea that you choose between an AMD system or an intel&nvidia system, which is a false dichotomy.

Thread Information