Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia launches new Shield TV set-top box

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Nvidia launches new Shield TV set-top box

With optional Spot for home-wide assistance.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • mtyson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790T
      • Memory:
      • 12GB
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 128GB SSD + Kingston 500GB SSD + NAS etc
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 430W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5-inch VA QHD monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin fibre

Re: Nvidia launches new Shield TV set-top box

Thanks

Lol, $25 for 20 hours of gaming of titles you already own.

Thanks

WOW. No SOC update. Nice work Nvidia, you had my money, but lost it in the 2nd paragraph. I was ready to throw $350-400 for a 14nm or 10nm version coming, but at ZERO perf improvement, I'll wait for next year I guess. Unbelievable that new versions (with actual hardware improvements) are coming/here from MS/Sony due to them realizing they were massively under-powered and ARM would march over them this year or next, but NV thinks selling the same thing AGAIN will get me this time? Don't get me wrong, both my dad and I want one (shield tv is great), but neither with today's soc. I would have accepted a 14nm shrink of the same thing but clocked far higher, and even wanted a larger box so they could strap a heatsink/fan on it (and hopefully up the watts to 50-100), but I really wanted a 10nm (or two) that would be coming soon. Shocked I waited all this time, 10nm is literally incoming, and all we get is rev 1.01. I was hoping for 2.0-3.0...ROFL (14nm or 10nm...).

Don't even get me started on $25 for 20hrs for my own games. I can get an unlimited news server for $8 that can max a 60-70mbit connection for ALL month 24/7 (yeah you can do it...LOL). I suspect we'll be hearing about lawsuits from kids running up bills and parents wanting money back. I would not be willing to pay you $25 a month even, unlimited. People should just buy a new gpu and call it a day on this one, but I guess it's for people who are semi rich or something. Netflix is $10 (so is everyone else) and I can stream again, 24/7 from them on TWO connections. I could see maybe $15 (not for me, but for a larger crowd) but this just seems out of whack. Then again, even if 1mil sign up they'd probably be adding 100mil per year to their bottom line I guess. I just can't see how anyone that can afford this would not be able to afford $150-1000 for a gpu if you game much at all. Some people, especially with kids, can put in 100+ hours a month in some games. God forbid you have kids and summer comes up. $$$$$$.

I love NV stuff (the good stuff that is), but fail on both of these for ME anyway. Maybe the voice thing sells a few more boxes, but this really needed TWO 14nm socs, or two 10nm and a box pushed to 50-100w to much more closely perform with ps4/xbox1 versions (with GDDR5x or HBM2 in it too). They needed to at least DOUBLE the power any way they had to to get my money. I really expected TWO socs (like xbox1/ps4's) slapped together just to sell more silicon and amp up perf massively. Simply add $50 and I'd have bought it. The chips are made far cheaper than that so this seems a no brainer. Color me VERY sad. I was even half expecting a STEAMOS runs on our box too announcement, or at least "and it runs nintendo switch games too" since they aren't exactly directly competing and nintendo still gets more game sales that way. I figured this would come with streaming ALSO from PC to Switch announcement to make both sides happy about the deal. Hmmf...TRIPLE or QUAD fail here for me I guess...ROFL.

Oh well, they're still running #1 for my gpu update if Vega doesn't win watts/heat and over 50% of what I want to do. AMD looks like they get my cpu update shortly though, as handbrake is a big deal to me today. But I really want a TOUGH ARM box with multi-OS to add to my PC gaming (just due to all the odd stuff I want to play on android already not to mention coming vulkan stuff etc). Where is the STEAM OS runs on ARM announcement? Surely Qcom/Nvidia/Samsung want a chunk of INTEL's 60B+ pie and Valve REALLY hates Microsoft, so what gives? Don't they want to sell to a 2Billion NON window market yearly? Don't they want to help kill DirectX12? ***confused*** Maybe they're just waiting on Vulkan/10nm/HBM2 etc mature for all of the above for next year. If that is the case NV, make sure you put in a big enough box for a gpu slot if we want one at some point. I'll take a slighly smaller than xbox1, but prefer original sized box with multiple storage spots, gpu slot, etc. Full PC style HTPC. I mean Qcom devices will ship with 10nm before Q2 is over. I'm guessing the made too many and have to sell out the old ones so no changes other than a software update or someone just dropped the ball? Whatever, done whining about this I guess. I expected a new product after 18mo and two new die shrinks here now (or shortly anyway). Off to read about AMD board etc just mentioned. NV lost my interest until next announcements (1080ti?). Almost checked to see if it was april 1st or some kind of joke here. This should have been all about max perf.

Thanks

"Nvidia’s latest Shield TV device is built on the company’s powerful and efficient Pascal architecture. Nvidia didn’t reveal detailed specifications about the processor inside the new Shield TV, but the company said that it's more powerful than any other Android TV streaming device on the market by a factor of three."
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-shield-tv-home-ai,33337.html

So is you're article incorrect? 256-core Maxwell GPU is what is in X1 and at 20nm. If this is based on Pascal, you need to update your article correct? If they did not Explicitly say it was a X1 based on maxwell where did you get your information?

Consider me back ON (kind of) for buying this for now, as I'm interested if Tomshardware is reporting correctly. Now checking anandtech, etc etc to get more info.

"the new version will support 4K HDR for both games and movies"
    Is old X1 capable of 4K HDR movies and games (maxwell based 256 core)? Multiple sites saying NV did NOT specify the chip running the console.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10714/nvidia-teases-xavier-a-highperformance-arm-soc
    Back in Sept, they showed a chart with X1 (20nm), Parker (16nm) and the new Volta model (16nm also). Note the difference between Parker version and X1 is 16nm instead of 20nm and also 4K ENCODE at 60fps (only decode at 60fps on X1 20nm).
    "So what’s Xavier? In a nutshell, it’s the next generation of Tegra, done bigger and badder. NVIDIA is essentially aiming to capture much of the complete Drive PX 2 system’s computational power (2x SoC + 2x dGPU) on a single SoC. This SoC will have 7 billion transistors – about as many as a GP104 GPU – and will be built on TSMC’s 16nm FinFET+ process. (To put this in perspective, at GP104-like transistor density, we'd be looking at an SoC nearly 300mm2 big)"

Xavier is an obvious BEAST at 300mm^2 and 7B transistors. "Xavier AI Car Supercomputer: 8-core custom ARM64, 512 core Volta, 30 TOPs DL, 30W" This is what SHOULD be in the new Shield TV (maybe the 2018 box? LOL), but I guess NOT likely the Volta though, since that (Xavier) can do dual 8K streams IIRC. But still a 16nm Parker would be an upgrade also and that has been in DrivePX for a while. Xavier also not supposed to come until Q4 2017, so left with Parker or no upgrade? Parker also has 2 Denver+4x A57 cores, while X1 has 4x A57/4x A53. So again, I guess we'd need more info to figure out which is in this thing.

Does anyone know if X1 can do 4K HDR? Can you do that with a simple software update which would mean no soc change?

Thanks

Didn't they learn 32GB is the minimum in 2017?

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

If the "new" Shield TV really is based on the existing model I'd be sorely disappointed. Old wine in new bottles isn't the way to go.

I would hope, though, that nVidia finally accepts what this box is mostly used for (streaming) and will offer a version with the remote instead of the controller.

Thanks

It was reported elsewhere that it comes with the remote now. But I can fix that, which never bothered me much. I can't UPGRADE the soc. So it had better come with a NEW one...LOL. Agree with the other post 32GB should be the min, or better yet, sell it with a 128GB SSD or 500GB. Just up the price on the lower one $20 or something. 16GB is useless. I think they limit sales making it basically 500GB or no purchase (you need more unit sales to encourage devs). It would be far more useful then. As we get to Vulkan games etc everywhere I'm thinking many people will be using it for more than just "streaming". Not quite sure why anyone would think you'd buy the best gaming soc, and it includes a gamepad, for streaming only.

Heck my main purpose is to get PC games to my TV from my PC's gpu. My 2nd purpose is android gaming to compliment the PC side. Why? Because as you get older you can't sit on a PC after 8-10hr work days, for yet another 8hrs (ok or more if you're addicted to some game) without your feet blowing up like a pregnant woman...LOL. Besides, with 1080p, the TV looks pretty darn good for gaming. Streaming to me is a big part but 3rd. Maybe they end up equal parts, but still this would be a purchase to make sure I could avoid current consoles from msft/sony for good since they pretty much already have all that stuff on PC. It's a great streamer, don't get me wrong, but I have a few rokus, bluray's etc that also do this stuff, and roku has a lot more crap I can't get on ShieldTV. So streaming time would likely be split between them. Gaming however, can't be done on either my roku's (angry birds is it, LOL) or blu-rays.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    It was reported elsewhere that it comes with the remote now. But I can fix that, which never bothered me much. I can't UPGRADE the soc. So it had better come with a NEW one...LOL. Agree with the other post 32GB should be the min, or better yet, sell it with a 128GB SSD or 500GB. Just up the price on the lower one $20 or something. 16GB is useless. I think they limit sales making it basically 500GB or no purchase (you need more unit sales to encourage devs). It would be far more useful then. As we get to Vulkan games etc everywhere I'm thinking many people will be using it for more than just "streaming". Not quite sure why anyone would think you'd buy the best gaming soc, and it includes a gamepad, for streaming only.

Heck my main purpose is to get PC games to my TV from my PC's gpu. My 2nd purpose is android gaming to compliment the PC side. Why? Because as you get older you can't sit on a PC after 8-10hr work days, for yet another 8hrs (ok or more if you're addicted to some game) without your feet blowing up like a pregnant woman...LOL. Besides, with 1080p, the TV looks pretty darn good for gaming. Streaming to me is a big part but 3rd. Maybe they end up equal parts, but still this would be a purchase to make sure I could avoid current consoles from msft/sony for good since they pretty much already have all that stuff on PC. It's a great streamer, don't get me wrong, but I have a few rokus, bluray's etc that also do this stuff, and roku has a lot more crap I can't get on ShieldTV. So streaming time would likely be split between them. Gaming however, can't be done on either my roku's (angry birds is it, LOL) or blu-rays.
    Steam Link for streaming games from PC to TV... I have one, cost £16, and works brilliantly over a wired network.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Stu C View Post
    Steam Link for streaming games from PC to TV... I have one, cost £16, and works brilliantly over a wired network.
    Where did you get one that cheap? I've seen them on sale bundled with the controller on steam but never on its own for £16...
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

geforce now is definitely one of those "do the math" things.... how many $25 does it take for you to just upgrade your machine to play locally?

If you game a couple of hours a day, well then thats boom, $75 a month. So clearly this is only targeting the most casual of gamers who barely have a functioning computer.... but they probably dont value their gaming time highly enough to spring for another $25 on top of the game they have to buy.

Its dead in the water. Almost 0 people will buy into that model.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

I would have accepted a 14nm shrink of the same thing but clocked far higher, and even wanted a larger box so they could strap a heatsink/fan on it (and hopefully up the watts to 50-100), but I really wanted a 10nm (or two) that would be coming soon.
    Xavier is an obvious BEAST at 300mm^2 and 7B transistors. "Xavier AI Car Supercomputer: 8-core custom ARM64, 512 core Volta, 30 TOPs DL, 30W" This is what SHOULD be in the new Shield TV (maybe the 2018 box? LOL), but I guess NOT likely the Volta though, since that (Xavier) can do dual 8K streams IIRC. But still a 16nm Parker would be an upgrade also and that has been in DrivePX for a while. Xavier also not supposed to come until Q4 2017, so left with Parker or no upgrade? Parker also has 2 Denver+4x A57 cores, while X1 has 4x A57/4x A53. So again, I guess we'd need more info to figure out which is in this thing.
    Yes, and what would be the point in an Android TV console the the size of a PC, with all the noise of a PC and all the power of a PC - you know maybe you should just buy... (big reveal, wait for it)... a PC?!

Disappointing not to see an upgrade to 32GB storage without having to get the 500GB with a hard drive (not even an SSD, that's not 'Pro'), and maybe it would have been nicer to see 4-6GB RAM but the older model was already the most powerful Android box by a long way so an upgraded SoC doesn't seem necessary, 4K and HDR is already supported so no point in it being hugely faster than every other Android device because there would be no games made for it to use all that power.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu C View Post
    Where did you get one that cheap? I've seen them on sale bundled with the controller on steam but never on its own for £16...
    It was £16 from Game a couple of times over the past 2 months. Their prices jump up and down, so worth keeping an eye out. I suspect that CEX have a lot to sell too, as I know a number of people bought from Game at £16 and immediately sold to CEX for £20 (I was tempted, but didn't).

Thanks

Yup kingpotnoodle gets it.

Nvidia failed in mobile because their hardware was too lop sided, mobile doesnt need high end GPU's, that market isnt built around high cost games.

So an Android set top box having the latest and greatest from Nvidia is utterly pointless. The people who buy the shield are using it for streaming bluray's and personal media collections alongside cut the cord types, thats it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sykobee View Post
    Lol, $25 for 20 hours of gaming of titles you already own.
    No, it's $25 for 20 hours of renting a GTX 1080 PC you don't already own. Most internet cafes charge more than that for a GTX 760 PC.

Thanks

I was ready to throw $350-400 for a 14nm or 10nm version coming, but at ZERO perf improvement, I'll wait for next year I guess.
    Someone doesn't understand how "streaming" works.

Don't even get me started on $25 for 20hrs for my own games. I can get an unlimited news server for $8 that can max a 60-70mbit connection for ALL month 24/7 (yeah you can do it...LOL). I suspect we'll be hearing about lawsuits from kids running up bills and parents wanting money back. I would not be willing to pay you $25 a month even, unlimited. People should just buy a new gpu and call it a day on this one, but I guess it's for people who are semi rich or something.
    Quite the opposite, it's for people who are not rich and can't afford a new $1000 GPU every year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information