Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: Which music streaming service do you use?

Thanks

Re: QOTW: Which music streaming service do you use?

Spotify

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bitbucket View Post
    With all due respect, I stopped reading here. I'm not engaging with an ego as wide as that. Have a word with yourself
    Have a word with what? Your answer is the end result of your limitations rather than mine. Clearly you don't understand the mind of a connoisseur and instead you give a remark based on your figment of imagination. My views are not different to my fellow connoisseurs - just a love of good music free of marketing.

bitbucket

Quote Originally Posted by Top_gun View Post
    [..] the person tasked in selecting music has probably grown up during an era of bad music pandered by the large music corporation
    So you're telling me that Spotify (to choose an example) is rubbish because the person selecting the music probably has terrible taste? Broad, meaningless assumptions like this aren't from the mind of any kind of 'connoisseur'. You clearly lack critical knowledge that you so boldly claim to posess about the content that's available, and how that content comes to exist. If it's the subscription fees that you take exception to then fair enough but your bizarre stance on 'taste' doesn't make you a connoisseur of anything, nor does it make others ignorant.

Thanks

So you're telling me that Spotify (to choose an example) is rubbish because the person selecting the music probably has terrible taste? Broad, meaningless assumptions like this aren't from the mind of any kind of 'connoisseur'. You clearly lack critical knowledge that you so boldly claim to posess about the content that's available, and how that content comes to exist. If it's the subscription fees that you take exception to then fair enough but your bizarre stance on 'taste' doesn't make you a connoisseur of anything, nor does it make others ignorant.
    More figment of your imagination yet again.

Clearly you're out of your depth in this discussion when these concepts has been around for the past 25 years or more. It really shows. The 'critical knowledge' has been around for many years and predates me. So I'm not going to take the credit. The sad facts of the matter is people like you are bombarded with commercial music and lack the necessary 'critical thinking' in why other people find the music so dissatisfying.

I'm more than happy to have a long protracted debate on this matter. Your buzz words insult can only take you a small step in this debate.

Senior Lurker
    Thanks
    • Englander's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i5-6500
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk 128GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 400W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2515H
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 38Mb/2Mb

I don't use streaming services as such, I find that I'm covered by 1) my MP3 collection on my phone 2) the radio and/or 3) youtube

bitbucket

More figment of your imagination yet again.

Clearly you're out of your depth in this discussion when these concepts has been around for the past 25 years or more. It really shows. The 'critical knowledge' has been around for many years and predates me. So I'm not going to take the credit. The sad facts of the matter is people like you are bombarded with commercial music and lack the necessary 'critical thinking' in why other people find the music so dissatisfying.

I'm more than happy to have a long protracted debate on this matter. Your buzz words insult can only take you a small step in this debate.
    Critical knowledge of music streaming services 'predates' you? Then I'm clearly debating with a child - although I was in little doubt of this anyway. Have we met? I ask because you seem incredibly confident about the type of music I've been 'bombarded' with, not to mention "people like me" (whatever that's actually supposed to mean). I've been listening to, recording, playing and writing music for a long, long time. In all of that time, however, I can't say I've ever encountered anybody quite as bizarre, rude and egotistical as yourself. I do wonder if you read back anything that comes off your keyboard before you press 'Post', because you don't appear to have any idea what you're actually talking about.

I won't be responding to your nonsense any further.

Thanks

Critical knowledge of music streaming services 'predates' you? Then I'm clearly debating with a child - although I was in little doubt of this anyway.
    Trying to twist my words and hurling petty insults are telling that you're incapable of having an adult conversation.

My views haven't changed since the age of 18 when I was buying rare imported vinyl and listening to Jazz, Funk and Soul music. You know, music made by proper song writers, musicians and singers. Quality is timeless as they say. Never listened to much chart music in my teenage years either. I guess I was lucky I grew up at a time when marketing in underground music was zero and music innovation was the order of the day. The only genre I needed to know came under good music!

Still, your comments reminded about past people who I've had conversations with on this particular subject and one thing that really struck me was their lack of taste and style not just in music but in everything.

Sorry but God made me funky.

Fetchez la vache!
    Thanks
    • dannyboy75's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 500GB, Samsung 840 SSD 500Gb, WD 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Falcon GameMax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200/20 FTTP

Trying to twist my words and hurling petty insults are telling that you're incapable of having an adult conversation.

My views haven't changed since the age of 18 when I was buying rare imported vinyl and listening to Jazz, Funk and Soul music. You know, music made by proper song writers, musicians and singers. Quality is timeless as they say. Never listened to much chart music in my teenage years either. I guess I was lucky I grew up at a time when marketing in underground music was zero and music innovation was the order of the day. The only genre I needed to know came under good music!

Still, your comments reminded about past people who I've had conversations with on this particular subject and one thing that really struck me was their lack of taste and style not just in music but in everything.

Sorry but God made me funky.
    Though clearly not intentional, your posts are hilarious.

Talk about having your head jammed up your own backside. Have you ever heard of the term 'superiority complex' ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy75 View Post
    Though clearly not intentional, your posts are hilarious.

Talk about having your head jammed up your own backside. Have you ever heard of the term 'superiority complex' ?
    Dear Dannyboy, I really feel sorry for you for living in an era of being a 'marketing victim' and your comments bear no relationship to me as a person. It's you hitting out as a defence mechanism to buying really bad music. I just recognise the music these days are just trashy. Let's face it, the problem started in the eighties with the merger of record labels and the rise of big corporations. Looks replacing talents. Real musicians replaced by copy and paste technicians.

I mean if someone like Aretha Franklin, starting out the first time, would not even get a record deal today as she hasn't has the right look. There is no integrity in the music industry these days.

Have a listen to what real singing is all about because I say you don't have a clue what is. I remember reading an article in Blues and Soul magazine, around mid 1980s, who thought her vocals has actually got better since the sixties.

You will never ever get me to buy 'boy band music' no matter how much you insult me.

bitbucket

Have a listen to what real singing is all about
    Any true music connoisseur would know that taste is subjective, and I think (without meaning to offend) you're confusing a generational change in music quality with your own stubborn tastes as you age. I'm a huge fan of Aretha Franklin, Chet Atkins and even Glen Miller to name a few. I'm also a huge fan of Lady Gaga, Nico & Vinz and Muse. Music isn't terrible solely because it's modern, and if you disagree with that then I'm afraid you're the ignorant one, not dannyboy75 or myself or anyone else. There was plenty of terrible music around in the sixties and there are plenty of superb musicians writing music today. Subscribing to Spotify doesn't consign you to listening to Take That, Little Mix or One Direction... I can't really believe I'm even having to explain that, but there we go.

I did say I was done with this, but felt that was worth appending to this 'debate'.

Thanks

Any true music connoisseur would know that taste is subjective, and I think (without meaning to offend) you're confusing a generational change in music quality with your own stubborn tastes as you age. I'm a huge fan of Aretha Franklin, Chet Atkins and even Glen Miller to name a few. I'm also a huge fan of Lady Gaga, Nico & Vinz and Muse. Music isn't terrible solely because it's modern, and if you disagree with that then I'm afraid you're the ignorant one, not dannyboy75 or myself or anyone else. There was plenty of terrible music around in the sixties and there are plenty of superb musicians writing music today. Subscribing to Spotify doesn't consign you to listening to Take That, Little Mix or One Direction... I can't really believe I'm even having to explain that, but there we go.

I did say I was done with this, but felt that was worth appending to this 'debate'.
    Wide of the mark yet again. You having a go at me for your limitations rather than mine.

If the music I listen to isn't so great then why do the copy n paste technicians of today used them in their creations. I'm all for progressive music and I bought House music on import before it became mainstream in this country. The reality is music hasn't progressed but marketing has. I despaired in the 1980s about the rise of trashy music which created the template for today's music. I've not heard anything since to change my mind.

Like I said I'm more than happy to have a long protracted debate so that you would finally understand where I am coming from. I fear you will never get it.

bitbucket

Like I said I'm more than happy to have a long protracted debate so that you would finally understand where I am coming from.
    I can't think of anything that I'd less like to do. Take care

Thanks

I can't think of anything that I'd less like to do. Take care
    Absolutely, why would you want to have a protracted debate if the best you can come up are ill informed shallow rude comments.

Still, this whole saga reminded me about a mate of mine who had similar problems with his younger colleagues at work one day. The same colleagues begged for copies after he brought in some of his music. He said no of course - connoisseurs only.

I am into clothes and trainers as well. I have a collection of trainers where I can sell them on ebay for around £600. I had arguments with idiots about my tastes in the past and the same idiots were unable to back up their predicted arguments as expected just like you. So one day I dressed up and I got them foaming around their mouth with envy. They just couldn't contain it!

Moving on, you have same mentality as the man in this video after reading your comments. You can tell when someone is a connoisseur and I met a number. For you to say it's subjective only clearly illustrates you're not one at all.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you a connoisseur in that your music tastes are eclectic, or in the format that you listen to?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Are you a connoisseur in that your music tastes are eclectic, or in the format that you listen to?
    I'd say eclectic as I have enjoyed artists from Japan, Latin American and Africa as well as those from UK, Europe and North America.

ETA: In terms of format, I'm a vinyl person. I was fortunate enough to have really good Physics teachers who thought vinyl was a better format than CD and I read a number of HiFi magazines confirming this as well. In fact, this again, has reminded me of previous painful arguments with idiots who thought CDs were superior just because marketing told them so. Nowadays, the position is now fully accepted but it wasn't the case even ten years ago.
    Last edited by Top_gun; 31-01-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: ETA

bitbucket

you have same mentality as the man in this video after reading your comments.
    I'm a criminal? Please explain what you mean by this. Genuinely baffled by this comment. I too have expensive tastes in certain items, but I'm certainly not in any way jealous of others' possessions.

I have a collection of trainers where I can sell them on ebay for around £600. I had arguments with idiots about my tastes [...] so one day I dressed up and I got them foaming around their mouth with envy. They just couldn't contain it!
    Congratulations. I bet you're the talk of the town.

RE 'rudeness', I give as good as I receive on that front, I'm afraid. Any rudeness is a direct response to your own.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information