• EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Re: AMD Radeon RX Vega to disrupt gaming, pro graphics, and AI

Disrupt gaming?
    I don't want my gaming disrupted.
    Why would I buy a card that does that? My wife already disrupts my gaming for free... !!!

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN_ALLCAPS View Post
    Talk is cheap, and marketing bumf is cheaper.
    No it's not... Have you seen how much a product-fluffer marketing company charges??!!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Disrupt gaming?
    I don't want my gaming disrupted.
    Why would I buy a card that does that? My wife already disrupts my gaming for free... !!!
    Well I run FO4 with mods and it auto-disrupts itself with no user intervention!!

Thanks
    • Nobull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H67MA-E45
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair Value Select 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair F60 SSD + 2.5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD6950 2GB
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent Pro Gold 600W
      • Case:
      • CM Elite 370
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Syncmaster P2450

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Vega is not a small redesign - its a HUGE redesign incorporating new features. Vega is the competitor to Volta.
    To be honest I don't really care how big a redesign it is, so long as it actually performs. If it can beat and or match Volta for cheaper then I'd be very very happy. But my concern is it will only just beat and/or match the 1080 and 1080ti and then Volta will come along shortly after and overtake them again. I'm really rooting for AMD here. I want to do a full AMD build for my next rig, Ryzen and Vega, but ultimately it has to perform. They also need to sort their noise and energy efficiency so that it is close to Nvidia's latest effort and importantly for me, I'd like to see some ITX sized cards at a decent price level (like the 1060 ITXs not the Fury Nano which was out of my price range).

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Nobull View Post
    To be honest I don't really care how big a redesign it is, so long as it actually performs. If it can beat and or match Volta for cheaper then I'd be very very happy. But my concern is it will only just beat and/or match the 1080 and 1080ti and then Volta will come along shortly after and overtake them again. I'm really rooting for AMD here. I want to do a full AMD build for my next rig, Ryzen and Vega, but ultimately it has to perform. They also need to sort their noise and energy efficiency so that it is close to Nvidia's latest effort and importantly for me, I'd like to see some ITX sized cards at a decent price level (like the 1060 ITXs not the Fury Nano which was out of my price range).
    Because again you are just commenting about "how long it will be" by assuming probably Vega is just Polaris MK2. If you actually read all the info on it you would know that and that is why it isn't out yet,and it also relies on Hynix HBM2 which only started to hit large scale production recently.

In the end would you have bought an upscaled Polaris based RX490 last year - from your comments I doubt it and you could have always bought a Nano last year when they were only £250.

So in the end I honestly don't care if AMD had to delay their higher end cards if it means they put 100% effort into getting Ryzen out(and competitive),growing their marketshare in graphics(which they have),getting more console wins(which they have) which will mean more devs using AMD hardware,improving their drivers and driver features(which they have),improving FreeSync(which they have) and getting onboard with more devs(which they have).

These are just as important as getting a shiny new 4K card out,and AMD has certainly done a lot more work in the last year. Look at what happened with the Fury X?? It came out only a few months after the GTX980TI and got relatively close at higher res,but since Nvidia pipped them to the post and was slightly faster most people bought Nvidia. Even if AMD matched a GTX980TI most people would buy Nvidia anyway.

At least Vega will be in a far better situation now,considering the groundwork AMD has laid down. Its no point spending all that money if AMD has no return on it.

I would rather AMD gets Vega out polished instead of another half arsed high end launch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Talk is cheap, and marketing bumf is cheaper. Furthermore, many of these features sound like they need explicit support by the game developer - and I have learned to take a dim view of technologies like that and stick to real-world performance (and the only real-world performance data we have, Doom on Vulkan, isn't terribly impressive so there had better be large amounts of untapped potential).

If AMD intended for Vega to be more Volta than Pascal they shouldn't have limited their largest Polaris chip to 232mm2, leading to 1060-level performance at best and grotesquely overpriced top end chips from nVidia for essentially an entire generation.
    Trolling is cheap - your attitude in both AMD CPU and GPU threads,you seem to want to twist things as negatively as possible. Yet I can see you hyping Volta already as the next best thing - talk is cheap and we had Nvidia focus group member Rollo who started a new account before a major AMD launch, to keep pushing that Nvidia was ready to launch their latest card when eventually it didn't come for months.

Funny how just before Ryzen and Vega which will probably be launching within a few months of each other we have a new account suddenly trying to push anything AMD in the most negative way. I have been here long enough to recognise it.

But you are scared that AMD will get Vega out before Volta since your E-PEEN is threatened and you know very well if Nvidia is only launching the GTX1080TI in the next week or two,Nvidia won't be releasing a more powerful card until the end of the year,but don't worry I expect when AMD does release Vega you will make cheap talk and keep on pushing that Volta is out soon.
    My attitude in AMD CPU threads? I preordered Ryzen. To replace a Phenom II X4 955. I also have an HD7950. I do not intend to replace that HD7950 yet because GP102 and GP104 are hilariously overpriced. In fact I will probably end up skipping this generation depending on how Vega 10, Vega 11, and Volta start to shape up.

Seriously, if you went to the trouble of reading my posts and then decided I was some sort of bot or troll you should really pay more attention.

I am critical of RTG because they failed to compete with anything above a 1060. Not because they couldn't, Polaris is pretty competitive per mm2 and could have at least split the 1060 and 1070 without being an out-and-out big chip or needing GDDR5X. They chose not to, and did so despite being aware that Vega could be released much later given its reliance on HBM2 and the concomitant demands of the Ryzen release. This has given nVidia the license to charge what the market can bear, not what their products are worth.

Now they are at risk of selling Vega closer to consumer Volta than consumer Pascal. That is a dangerous place to be when we aren't even certain if Vega 10 can beat GP102 (though presumably nVidia seems to think it likely given that 1080 TI is essentially a full GP102) and Volta is a total unknown.
    The RX 470 competes with the GTX 1060 and the RX 480 out competes it. Fury based cards are giving the GTX 1070 though time too.

Please don't bring any of that Nvidia focus group crap here. I think we can say we've enough of that sorry affair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information