• i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

Re: Microsoft ad banner nags you in Windows 10 File Explorer

At least they don't show the banner if you have a package, i'm on office 365 and nothing here.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Everything you've said, which AGAIN is about water which I said up-front was a different case, provides plenty of benefit to you, the company, and no direct benefit and minimal indirect benefit to me.
    And again, most of it lets us do our job SO much easier and quicker, which means you don't get the weeks or months of delays during which you suffer while waiting for "Bloody XYZ Water Company" to sort it out... which is about as direct for you as you can get.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    And again, most of it lets us do our job SO much easier and quicker, which means you don't get the weeks or months of delays during which you suffer while waiting for "Bloody XYZ Water Company" to sort it out... which is about as direct for you as you can get.
    Tell you what. I'll risk it. Just keep your smart meter.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Tell you what. I'll risk it. Just keep your smart meter.
    Again, you may not get the choice...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Again, you may not get the choice...
    Fully aware of that. Re: water, right now, and here, I do. If I move, I almost certainly won't, and it's doubtful how long it'll be here before it becomes mandatory. But, as I said initially, the case for water is much better than, certainly for electricity, and to a degree, gas too.

For gas and electrivity, right now, it is still not mandatory, but there've been attempts, so far unsuccessful, to make it so.

That said, there is also, slowly but surely, and steadily, a growing awareness of security issues, in terms of hacked devices, and privacy, in terms of what is done with OUR data, and how serious companies (and, to be fair, very emphatically public and governmental bodies) take protecting our data, what they use it for and how WE can be assured it is not abused.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying there's a huge clamour for it. YET. But the pressure is growing steadily. It's gradual, but an accumulation of things seeps into public awareness. For instance, vadt amounts of taxpayer data lost because some muppet allegedly sent unencrypted data through the post. I still have my suspicions about that story. But then, all these allegations of Russian (and others) hacking US elections (the DNC HQ hack, for instance). Now, according to one French reporter I saw, all the upcoming French presidential election ballots will be counted msnually, not via electronic systems, simply to preclude the chance of Russian (or others, and ohere are others at it) even being suspected of affecting the outcome. And then there's the mass Yahoo hacks, Twice. And that recent government report I cited. Even Tim Berners Lee is basically saying that the have a 21st Century net with 21st Century uses being run on 20th century internet infrastructure where security was barely an afterthought, and it's had a ragtag jumble of upgrades, patches, string and chewing gum to try to secure it.

What's coming, and IMHO badly needed, is kind of an Net 2.0, where security is designed and fundamental provisions put in place FIRST, and thr a highly secure net built on top.

Sadly, for those highly protective of personal privacy, an absolutely fundamental building block of that is a flawless (if such exists) form of unique personal identification. That is, an ID card with loads of bells on. How? Dunno. We're already well-advanced with biometrics, such as for passports, and facial recognition. Add DNA and who knows what, brain-wave prints for all I know. So far, public backlash has prevented it.

Not this week. maybe not even this decade, but mark my words, IT IS COMING. 20 years? Probably. 50 years? Almost certainly. The exact shape/form? No idea.

But some way of uniquely and with very near 100% reliability identifying us is implicit in government's rush to 'Neticise' services. It won't be long before you can't do ANYTHING with government other yhan online, and it's getting hard now. Think TV licence, car tax, benefit claims, tax returns, etc.

Given antiquated security, and government predilection for computerising (often badly) anything that moves, or doesn't, sooner or later there's going to be the grandmother and grandfather of all security screw-ups, be it hacker-related or just standard human propensity to cock up, and we'll see the usual politicians posturing and in an thoughtless over-reaction, some Orwellian dystopia will emerge.

The security and 'hacking' snowball is already rolling down the hill, IMHO, and some spectacular cock-up, or attack, will be the straw that breaks the proverbial back of public opinion, and resistance to ID cards will instantly mutate into a public clamour that "somebody" does "something". That something will be the Orwellian thin end of the wedge.

I'm just glad I'm old enough that with a bit of luck, I won't live long enough to see it. Or at least, old enough to snigger out a smug "told you so" before going back to drolling in my care centre porridge.

But still, as long as they help you find leaks.....

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

snip--->What's coming, and IMHO badly needed, is kind of an Net 2.0, where security is designed and fundamental provisions put in place FIRST, and thr a highly secure net built on top. <---snip
    Well, IPv6 will be a step in the right direction to protect the links, but security/privacy is not just a technical issue, it's a regulatory and human issue too. We are seeing a regulatory framework emerging, but the global nature of the internet is both it's strength and major vulnerability.

Which brings us back neatly to the original topic of Microsoft introducing licensing conditions in the software they produce to post adverts for their services.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I'd say more regulatory and human than technical.

You suggesting I might have drifted a smidge off-topic? ....

Oh, okay.

I blame that Ttaskmaster bloke. Yep, it's all, ahem .... his fault.

Erm .... is he bigger than me? In which case, I meant all my fault.

P.S. Damn, off-topic again. It's that PeterB's fault .... unless you're bigger than me.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

I'm just glad I'm old enough that with a bit of luck, I won't live long enough to see it. Or at least, old enough to snigger out a smug "told you so" before going back to drolling in my care centre porridge.
    Your information and ID could be stolen/forged long before computers came into the mix. I don't believe the level of threat has really changed. It's just changed modes as technology mkde it harder to steal and forge, so too did it find ways around that and the cycle went on.

But still, as long as they help you find leaks.....
    Again, I'm more than happy to stay in the nice warm office drinking tea, rather than going out at 3am to try and fix yer problems...

I blame that Ttaskmaster bloke. Yep, it's all, ahem .... his fault.
    Erm .... is he bigger than me? In which case, I meant all my fault.
    Depends what you're measuring... and who's doing it!
    I might insist Neve Campbell takes that duty, you know, as an impartial adjudicator and all.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Your information and ID could be stolen/forged long before computers came into the mix. I don't believe the level of threat has really changed. It's just changed modes as technology mkde it harder to steal and forge, so too did it find ways around that and the cycle went on.

The level of threat has changed because, yes, ID could be stolen before, but not en-masse in seconds, and even then, precautions could be taken. Dumpster-diving won't work against anyone with a shredder (that they actually use) and/or incinerator. Burglars csb't knick passports or bank details that they can't find, or can't get to. Etc. Abd yes, while those risks exist, they're very time consuming compared to buying half a million user 's hacked details on the dark web.

And, of course, there's the comparative risk of dumpster-diving, pick-pocketing or burgling, compared to hacking millions of user's details from a database in a different country or continent.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

The level of threat has changed because, yes, ID could be stolen before, but not en-masse in seconds, and even then, precautions could be taken. Dumpster-diving won't work against anyone with a shredder (that they actually use) and/or incinerator. Burglars csb't knick passports or bank details that they can't find, or can't get to.
    If you have the document, chances are the details on it are held somewhere in an official office, even if in a filing cabinet. They don't need access to your copy of documents in order to forge them.

Etc. Abd yes, while those risks exist, they're very time consuming compared to buying half a million user 's hacked details on the dark web.
    Still a lot of effort to go a roundabout way to getting in your house when you're not home. Far easier to just watch you leave then head in, even if you're only going to be gone for an hour or two.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information